Good Deals on amazon.com (part3)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by lv70smusic, Mar 14, 2014.

1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

JazzFanatic likes this.
  2. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

latheofheaven likes this.
  4. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

5. Myke and latheofheaven like this.
  6. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Still $13.99. Grabbed it last week (thanks Lecords!). Here's the review of this new reissue I just posted and a Spoon specific thread:

So I figure that this was the best place to drop this info. Let me start by saying that Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga is one of my favorite albums of the past 10 years. It's timeless in my world. I've probably spun it 100+ times since 2007. That said, you can understand why I might be excited that a 10th anniversary vinyl reissue was coming. Even then, I hesitated, as I have the original John Golden cut vinyl, but the Get Nice bonus CD on vinyl, plus the claim that Chris Bellman had cut it (borne out in the deadwax) pushed me over the edge when a forum member mentioned I could get it for around $14 on Amazon last week. I duly ordered. I cracked the seal tonight, as I have an unimpeded listening space, with the wife away and the teen sequestered in her room. I dropped the needle on track one. Hmmm, seems kinda toppy. Treble enhanced, although the original has some of that quality. When it got to Cherry Bomb (surely one of the great singles of the past decade, if not ever), it all came into focus. This new vinyl cut is a smeared, grainy mess. The emphasized top end is quickly fatiguing. I went to the shelf and grabbed the Golden cut original, and sure enough, the vocals and that weird reverby soaked tambourine in Cherry Bomb existed within the music and not smeared all over the top of it. Chalk it up to system dependence (*see equipment profile) and ears (*see me), but I am sonically intimate with this album. We're best friends, and on my system at least, the new vinyl reissue is glaringly cut, with a compressed sheen that emphasizes a top end that veils all subtlety of this underlooked masterwork. The John Golden Cut breathes, adding a dimension that the original CD lacked. Finally, it's probably nitpicking, but the new cut failed to replicate the unique, hypnotic lock groove loop at the end of side 2 on the original Golden cut, which for me at least, has always been a essential part of the vinyl experience for this album. It was weird to not have it there.
    Whew! You or I probably didn't expect such a long winded review of this new cut of an album that 10 other forum members and I have heard, but here I am with time on my hands, an empty living room and a very tall beverage. You must admit though, it's not one of those "sounds great to me!" 4 word sound quality reviews, is it? A and B battled it out here in my living room, and A won. A mopped the floor with B. Take that for what it's worth. If you've made it this far, thank you and goodnight.

7. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Thanks for the review. I'm glad I didn't take the plunge! While I wouldn't mind hearing the new version on my system, I'm incredibly happy with the original (purchased the week of release and including the demo version of The Underdog on 7").

guidedbyvoices and katstep like this.
  8. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

9. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

10. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

11. Stone Temple Pilots - Core - Super Deluxe is 39.00 on Amazon US right now.

I just snagged one.

Bertly and The Beave like this.
  12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Remove the doubt by getting the UPC Code, and doing a search on Amazon. If it brings up the on sale item, you're good !

latheofheaven likes this.
  13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Confirmed! Cool trick, thank you!

Myke likes this.
  14. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I had it and was not impressed

16. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

17. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Thanks for that. At that price I was tempted but the bonus disc isn’t a big selling point for me, the cd bonus of it from 2007 had 3 or 4 bits I liked. I love the album and agree the 2007 vinyl sounds fantastic. Still have my signed Underdog 45 from the 2007 merge preorder!

katstep likes this.
  18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

black sheriff likes this.
  19. inspiracy

inspiracy Senior Member

Mr. H likes this.
  20. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Deep Discount has the pre-order for $52.69! Importcds is $49.19! Wish I knew if this was going to sound good.

Mr. H and inspiracy like this.
  21. efgffggfdg

efgffggfdg New Member

22. They also can usually be had cheaper if you import them from the UK.

23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It's the Sweet one!

[​IMG]

bru87tr, 500Homeruns and aoxomoxoa like this.
  24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I am very skeptical about sound quality here. Are all the original masters accounted for?

25. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Sorry, just saw your post. It is the Kevin Gray cut.