T. Rex - Electric Warrior - Kevin Gray AAA Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GentleSenator, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

The only difference is that it is folded differently. :) The sleeve of the Ariola looks excellent as well with its metallic gold print.

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Well, I picked up a copy at Barnes and Noble as they are having a 20% sale for all members. Plus, they just mailed me a couple of additional 20% off coupons that I was able to use. So, I got this fir $15.99, and the new Robert Plant for $19.99. I won’t be able to check it out for a while, as we are in the middle of a remodel, and I’m going to upgrade my system as well.

Cardanken, googlymoogly and Mazzy like this.
  3. Just picked up a copy. I have Fly UK original I can compare to soon. It's beat up but still has the magic. What a wonderful album.

4. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Cleaned and listened to my copy that I picked up yesterday- :edthumbs:!
    Excellent job with this remaster, flat and quiet as hell. Wish the Thin Lizzy Rocktober version was done even half as good as this one...that one sucks.

5. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

Nice jp will head there now

JP Christian likes this.
  6. A remodel ? I’ve been through those. It could take years :tiphat:

jon9091 likes this.
  7. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I just listened to my copy, bought from a store here in DC. It sounds fantastic!

Clonesteak likes this.
  8. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

The Sabbath Live At Hammersmith Odeon was a 2007 Rhino Handmade, CD title (5000 pressed) that they came back and repressed on vinyl in 2011 (3000 pressed). The Handmade titles stand uniquely different than what we see Rhino remaster and reissue at any other time. It is Rhino's attempt to press a truly limited number and create a collectors market. I owned a sealed vinyl copy and sold it on Ebay last year. Do not confuse the Handmade titles with anything else Rhino presses. I still find it typical Rhino to make a Handmade, 'limited run CD' and then find a way to reissue it 4 years later on vinyl. They can't help themselves. I do not believe anything pressed for Rocktober or 50th Anniversary will ever rival the select and few Handmade titles. This is all I am going to say as I do not want to get the T Rex Electric Warrior thread derailed. I was unable to get over to the pick up a copy of the new Electric Warrior, but I plan to this week to do a shoot-out with the original US Reprise release and the 2007 Japanese vinyl release.I have high hopes for the Kevin Gray mastering.

9. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

I purchased the "Rocktober" release of Electric Warrior today based on favorable reviews I've read here and in this other thread linked by the OP:
    Rhino "Rocktober" releases coming soon...

Speaking from the perspective of someone coming in totally "cold" so to speak, as I've never owned this album previously on any format (vinyl or otherwise), I can attest that this Kevin Gray pressing is simply outstanding! My main criteria is that the louder I turn up the volume, the better it sounds, and that is a good thing. :righton:

What is even better still is that this particular LP has finally "turned me on" (if you will) to the brilliance of Marc Bolan and co., who I'd known about previously, but had not explored the T. Rex catalog. Here's to hoping that all future Rhino presentations of classic albums can attain this level of quality, so if you're still on the fence about buying Electric Warrior, or perhaps even have the forum favorite "Fly" vinyl, I'd say this new one's worth getting. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Groggy, ODShowtime, Ludger and 7 others like this.
  10. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

It has, arguably, the greatest album cover of all-time.

...sorry, Abbey Road...

Engelsstaub, Groggy, Ludger and 3 others like this.
  11. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I held a copy at Amoeba yesterday, it’s a thing of beauty. My early US press copy is a great sounding record however so no reissue for me.

Cardanken and Juggsnelson like this.
  12. Marc Perman

I have a UK T. Rex/T. Rex on the Cube label, which has the same matrix ## as the Fly. Sound is good but I don’t believe that album was recorded as well as the several that followed. My US Tanx is a sonic spectacular.

13. Marc Perman

For Thin Lizzy, the original Gilbert Kong/Masterdisks cannot be beat.

14. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

What, "Electric Warrior"? Come on!

15. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

It’s a pretty fantastic cover. I agree with the other poster.

16. Neonbeam

Hmmmm... I need to give this some thought:faint:

17. Marc Perman

Some better album covers than Electric Warrior:

London Calling (or Elvis/Presley)
    Sgt. Pepper or Revolver (either)
    Sticky Fingers or Some Girls
    Disraeli Gears
    Led Zeppelin I
    Strange Days
    X - Los Angeles
    Slider:)

18. Neonbeam

If these are your choices I'm sticking with "Electric Warrior".... :tiphat:

Even though the presence of X is remarkable :righton:

DHamilton, Marc Perman and skisdlimit like this.
  19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

The EW cover is good, but I too can think of many I prefer.

Neonbeam likes this.
  20. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Abbey Road? Boring. Just some dudes walking across a street.

yarbles, Neonbeam and mr.datsun like this.
  21. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Really?
    Me thinks you’ve had too many Mambo Suns today.

e.s., Neonbeam and Mazzy like this.
  22. Listening to AAA pressing now after spinning Fly UK original. Two major differences to me, right off the bat. 1. UK sounds more "in your face" - guitars and vocals seem louder with more presence - especially the first guitar strums on "Mambo Sun" and 2. Detail and overall definition seems improved on the new AAA. Certainly newer mastering chains can pull a lot more detail and I can hear it here. But the old Pecko still has that charm and aggressive nature, not in a bad way! Unfortunately I have three copies of this album and do not have the poster. My Ariola German copy has a unique gatefold though - but doesn't have the power of the new AAA or the Pecko. Still would be interested to know which master was used here and where it currently lives - US or UK... Others mentioned sibilance and harsh "SSSSS"s and the new AAA has it but it is tamed a lot. I suspect those are on the tape.

But I would highly recommend this new one while you can. If you are in the USA it is very unlikely you will find UK original with decent surfaces (and you'll pay a lot more than $20-ish for it)!

23. I will also add that the overall sound quality, sound stage, and presentation of this AAA (and UK original) "Electric Warrior" puts it up there with the RL Zep II, UK London Calling, RL Back In Black, etc. Top 5-10 sound quality of my original pressings.

DHamilton and mpayan like this.
  24. And the album cover is legendary.

25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Nice! My UK original sounds as you described as well. I doubt I’ll spring for the new one but kinda tempted.

mr.datsun and Ryan_Pretzel like this.