T. Rex - Electric Warrior - Kevin Gray AAA Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GentleSenator, Oct 26, 2017.

1. I have cut back on purchases recently but this is one of my all-time favorite albums so I had to!

chacha and Neonbeam like this.
  2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

At least you didn't have to pay a hundred bucks for it. It can be had for around twenty bucks.

3. Oh definitely. I got my Fly UK last year on a trip to London and paid maybe 12-15 USD for it. It's a bit rough but I couldn't pass it up and the music still shines through.

chacha likes this.
  4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yeah, I think I paid around $20 for mine. In great shape.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  5. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Your thoughts on the bass and drums in the UK original vs. this reissue?

As for your latter observation, that is certainly true. It's hard to find original pressings of albums like this that aren't scratched or grooveworn to a fare-thee-well!

Ryan_Pretzel and mr.datsun like this.
  6. I will have to listen again soon but I recall drums being very similar on both - kick drum on "Mambo Sun" is massive regardless. Bass I'll have to check again soon. Listening was cut short tonight, unfortunately!

googlymoogly likes this.
  7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thanks for your review! Im on it. :thumbsup:

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  8. Very welcome!

9. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I have to agree. I have two original Slash copies. One is signed to me by John and Exene! Thanks @Recordwhirled!

Also, this pressing of Electric Warrior is fantastic. Another reissue knocked out of the park by Kevin Gray and Rhino. It's also flat, and noise free. All for $25! I've said it before and I'll say it again, all reissues of albums originally recorded and mixed to tape should be done this way.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Clonesteak, Rekkerds, SirMarc and 7 others like this.
  10. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

11. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

Great review here, thanks a lot. As I only have a seventies press on dutch ariola, do you think your german ariola pales a lot in cimparison with your fly uk and the new kevin gray reissue or do you think the german press is almost there ?

LitHum05 likes this.
  12. I'll have to listen again soon but I recall the German being not very close to Fly. Didn't sound bad... but not very close.

0476pearljam likes this.
  13. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

...no sticker?

mr.datsun likes this.
  14. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

seems like Barnes and noble is sold out online- where can I get this online outside of amazon. Want to grab it before it’s too late based on these reviews.

15. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I pm'd you

16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I just couldn't stand it any longer. I bought one.

moomaloo likes this.
  17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if Thread Starter

Marko K likes this.
  18. Phan71

Phan71 Forum Resident

Can anyone say how this compares to the 45 box set that came out on RSD a few years ago?

Groggy likes this.
  19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This is work in progress, man! :evil:

yarbles and mr.datsun like this.
  20. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

I think I got very lucky with mine, which was complete in two relatively cheap stages and is in unbelievably good condition.

First, I got everything except the poster, for about £15 I think. Cover, sticker & inner all near-mint; vinyl looked & sounded unplayed, didn't even need a clean! Amazing sounding album, astonishing bargain. Then, because I'd got the first version so cheaply, I was happy to pay £40 for a VG+ copy which had everything except the sticker; the poster has some tape residue discolouration on the rear, but apart from that it's perfect. Kept the complete near-mint copy, gave the lesser version to my son. Both 2Us.
    Excellent business, considering what some jokers are asking for incomplete versions in average condition :edthumbs:

Neonbeam and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I was lucky too, paid 10€ for NM vinyl in VG sleeve. And 35€ for a NM poster. Now I need that sticker....

The sleeve is always tricky.

yarbles likes this.
  22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

If anyone is looking for the rocktober release, I ordered from bullmoose yesterday even if it said not available and today I got an e-mail that my order is getting ready to ship.

23. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

My US Reprise pressing sounds wonderful. Glad to read the positive feed back this 2017 pressing is getting.

chacha likes this.
  24. dachada

dachada Senior Member

so the UK has the umfff factor of Mr George Peckham. check the below video at 4;56

3Dman and SinisterGinger like this.
  25. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

I didn't buy Warrior when I was a kid, just Bolan Boogie and then The Slider. However, if I had bought EW back then, the very first thing I would've done - on the bus, on the way home from buying it, probably - would've been to remove 'that sticker'...funny how our neuroses change as we get older and weirder :laugh: