Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

thats the case with most BF products.

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

What? They didn't include the Hank T-Shirt? I guess that came with the first run. Personally, I thought that outer box design stands among the worst ever. I mean a cardboard radio? Save the outer shipping carton and put it away. Just another wasted cubic foot of space for that box. Bear Family should have been given the rights to do it properly with a superior book.

3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

4. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Front 242 Addict and melstapler like this.
  5. Svein Arne

Here it is without the radiobox you hate:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...9-399c-49e1-901a-7b8786e59436&pf_rd_i=desktop

:tiphat:

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That is actually a great improvement. My copy of the original transfers of the acetates may have been the source of most of the "fan" copies that circulated before its official release. I don't remember when it was, but I loaned it to a friend almost 20 years ago, and he circulated hundreds of copies and then put it out on torrent sites without my knowledge. My copy was given to me by an "insider".

melstapler likes this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It sure looks to me that ErnieB's is going out of business. They are offering 70% off with email coupons. Ace label is gone. A sad day in the mail order business seems to be here. They said they were the best, and they were right.

8. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's a shame, they really were the best. I hadn't ordered from them since 2015 because the exchange rate took a tumble, but for a while their prices were what allowed me to own a good number of my Bear Family products.

melstapler likes this.
  9. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Got the Merle Kilgore today, I was half expecting it to be a rockabilly CD but it's not, there's a whole mix of stuff, some great loose sounding r and b, I notice it has a Dave Bartholomew involvement and it sounds like it too. There's some rock and roll stuff, pop country and some knock out straight country too. James Burton also gets a session credit. It's a wonderful disc, what Bear does best, makes you wonder why a disc that's so good isn't still in print!

[​IMG]

10. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Hate to hear that. I've keep checking their website but they don't carry any releases I want anymore. They gradually stopped with Ace, Cherry Red and all the other labels I was interested in.

They were/are the best for prices and packing if they have what you want. If BF had made them the main source for their product here in the U.S. BF would be selling much more and they'd have a hope of being around awhile. Too many penny counters and not enough music lovers, I guess?

11. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

That'll Flat Git It rockabilly series ... and after several years of dormancy, a new volume is coming this month: Vol. 28 (Reprise/Warner Bros.).

Rob L, Svein Arne and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I wish that I had known they would stop selling the Ace label

melstapler likes this.
  13. Svein Arne

This was my suggestion ,it includes all recordings for Mercury,exept one song.
    This could not be included because som bright spark would not have it released.:realmad:

melstapler likes this.
  14. Svein Arne

You can search Amazon for ACE releases.Sometimes old releases pops up.Price is sometimes low.

15. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I know they can't sell BF anymore but what is the deal with Ace and Cherry Red? I bet they were big sellers.

It's almost like somebody is/was trying to put Ernie out of business.

melstapler likes this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Yes, but when you bought in bulk, and used Ernie's coupon, the price was far less than all other dealers and the shipping was much cheaper too

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  17. cdwolf

cdwolf Forum Resident

For once, I don't think we can blame Bear Family or anyone else for Ernie's problems. IMO they and they alone are to blame for their problems. If a business insists on selling BF boxsets for about 10% less than their costs from BF (note that this is inventory cost only, before any of their other costs of operation) that does not bode well for their continued long-term existence. I explained the economics involved in this old post from last year.

melstapler likes this.
  18. cdwolf

cdwolf Forum Resident

Just to clarify, Ace Records is alive and well and continues to put out new releases every month. It's just that Ernie's apparently no longer sells them.

19. I started freaking out when I first thought Ace Records had gone under.

20. Svein Arne

ACE has just like Bear Family suddenly changed in a new kind of music they release.More funky,psychedelic music.I do not like that,but they also have great releases,not so much as before.

melstapler likes this.
  21. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Charlie Rich had a very beautiful voice , Marvelous music.
    I discovered his music not a long time ago.

22. Front 242 Addict

a very beautiful Charlie Rich song with magnificent backing vocals, I love the atmosphere of the song.

[/QUOTE]

23. darling

darling Senior Member

Yeah... I still have a whole bunch of Ace CDs sitting in my shopping cart over there. I had a look at the sale but they have hardly any inventory left... I am sad, but my wallet is happy.

melstapler likes this.
  24. Svein Arne

[/QUOTE]
    Charlie did 2 albums on Smash records after Groove/RCA.These are great,buy them also released on ACE records,and Mercury cd:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aint-Gonna...id=1509714627&sr=1-6&keywords=charlie+Rich+cd
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-S...&refinements=p_n_binding_browse-bin:382528011
    After these he recorded for Epic,the early records on Epic great.Listen to these early Epic recordings:
    Charlie Rich "Have A Heart"
    Charlie Rich "Down On The River"
    Charlie Rich----Golden Slipper Rose
    Charlie Rich "Down By The Riverside"
    Look for these early Epic releases on cd,released on KOCH records.
    Silver linings is an amazing gospel cd:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Every-Time...sr=1-1-spell&keywords=Chearlie+Rich+silver+cd
    :righton::tiphat:

25. Front 242 Addict

Charlie did 2 albums on Smash records after Groove/RCA.These are great,buy them also released on ACE records,and Mercury cd:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aint-Gonna...id=1509714627&sr=1-6&keywords=charlie+Rich+cd
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Smash-Sessions-Charlie-Rich/dp/B000008K01/ref=sr_1_40?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1509714675&sr=1-40&keywords=charlie+Rich+cd&refinements=p_n_binding_browse-bin:382528011
    After these he recorded for Epic,the early records on Epic great.Listen to these early Epic recordings:
    Charlie Rich "Have A Heart"
    Charlie Rich "Down On The River"
    Charlie Rich----Golden Slipper Rose
    Charlie Rich "Down By The Riverside"
    Look for these early Epic releases on cd,released on KOCH records.
    Silver linings is an amazing gospel cd:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Every-Time...sr=1-1-spell&keywords=Chearlie+Rich+silver+cd
    :righton::tiphat:[/QUOTE]

Many thanks Svein Arne for the information and for the links :cool:
    all the songs you posted are wonderful , my favorite is Golden Slipper Rose, just a stunning song

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    PhantomStranger and melstapler like this.