Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits (vinyl) coming in July*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Addict, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Likely not OOP, but still recovering from the big sell out after Tom's death.

2. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Amazon says the vinyl is "temporarily out of stock" so I put in an order. Nothing to lose.

Two related questions: 1- Is the CD reissue (which is still available and much cheaper) decent enough in lieu of the vinyl? 2- Is it a dumb idea to order the vinyl from Fry's Electronics who claim to have it? For some reason I see a damaged and/or incorrect record showing up at my house!

3. Myke

Exactly how I got my copy of She's The One, just last week. Took about a week for stock to be filled, then they ship whatever they have.

As far as Fry's, check the UPC : 602547658708 . Don't know about their shipping practices, or the CD.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  4. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

UPC on Fry's is UPC #602547658708, a match. Still, I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about that seller.

Myke likes this.
  5. Myke

Then stick with good old, reliable Amazon. :tiphat:

Vinyl Addict and SteelyNJ like this.
  6. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I went back to my local B&N in Charlotte NC and there were 3 copies of the Greatest Hits sitting there. I was hoping to find Full Moon Fever, but no luck.

supermd likes this.
  7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I was able to grab one at a Barnes and Noble in mid-October. It was the 3rd record store I went to, after "legit" record stores Streetlight Records and Rasputin did not have it. Kinda funny.

8. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Did you hear the alternate version of "Mary Jane's Last Dance"? That one line is jarring (with the usual version burned into my memory till the end of time), but a fun listen. The rest of the song remains as normal.

John Bliss likes this.
  9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I got it as a gift for a friend, so I haven't heard it. I was hoping the HDTracks download had the alternate lyrics as a fun difference, but it didn't.

10. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

11. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Just bought this 2 record set...marked made in the Netherlands. Quiet and flat vinyl.

Played sides 1 and 2 on my bedroom rig...Sansui 4000 receiver....Pioneer PL 518 tt....Paradigm 7se speakers . Sounded very good to me. Cranked up nicely without issue.

12. Christobal

Christobal Forum Resident

FYI. Just came back from my local Target. Saw a bin of LPs that were clearance priced. Picked up this album for $16. (And Pepper remix for $12.)

UPC : 602547658708

ShallowMemory likes this.
  13. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Wow. Ill have to make a trip to my local Target to see what else they have.

14. Christobal

Also Picked up:
    Purple Rain (remastered) and 1999
    Bowie ChangesOne
    Floyd DSOTM
    Abbey Road

ShallowMemory likes this.
  15. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

For $ 16.00 each?

16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

The Targets I've been to in the Seattle area dont carry any vinyl and they've pretty much phased out all of their CD's too. Extremely lame.

17. Christobal

All were priced between $14 and $22ish. ChangesOne was actually the only one NOT ringing up at a clearance price, Price sticker said $22.xx and that's what it was. All others were much less than their sticker said.

They were on the bottom shelf of an end cap in two plastic boxes looking all alone.

Good luck!

18. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

Picked up one at Barnes & Noble as well. Has CB in deadwax...sounds very good. I haven't seen this available in any of the local record stores but every B & N seems to have multiple copies.

19. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

No vinyl in my local Target. It seems availability is a store to store thing. CB for Chris Bellman, right? He typically does great work.

20. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Have been listening to this all week. What a great sounding set. Side D is frickin incredible. Demo quality sound.

My copy is the one with the original version of Mary Jane's Last Dance. Love it.

hi_watt likes this.
  21. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I kept putting off seeing Tom because I always thought he would come back. Then he died. I still can't believe he's gone. It just doesn't seem real to me. I thought he would live forever.

CCrider92, Tedw9 and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  22. I feel the exact same way. The year or two before he passed I had just discovered him again and his talent and had been listening to him so much. After his passing I haven’t listened to his music much at all and I believe it may be just cause I can’t believe he’s gone. I grew up in central FL and my dad was always listening to Tom, which got passed on to me. Strangely enough I was driving through Gainesville when I learned of his passing.

CCrider92 likes this.
  23. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

I feel the same way too. I miss Tom Petty. I grew up on his music. Best singer and songwriter. Consistently good work for 40+ years.....and a great band too.
    He was one of a kind. There are plenty of "tribute" type bands.....but it's not like seeing the "real thing". Tom Petty was the greatest - in terms of music and was a person with integrity - was always more interested in giving to charity than in overcharging his fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.