Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

Some of those sermons would have been hard for today's listeners to brush off that easily, and it would have become a negative discussion in the music press.

obi and aoxomoxoa like this.
  2. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

The 15 track sampler is on Tidal as well (no suprise)

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Im actually glad there are no sermons. I doubt I would have sat through any of them more than once

bobcat, Rob Hughes and Yorick like this.
  4. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

5. voles

voles Forum Lurker

I can imagine they were an even harder listen at the time. At least they have an hysterical value now...

Listening to San Diego - it's excellent in every way; so I can't really understand why it wasn't included with the main set.

AGimS likes this.
  6. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

As in dates? It is all from 28th apart from In The Garden.

Recording source? It is explained that it comes from a cassette soundboard recording.

Zagonga likes this.
  7. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Yet they're still an important part of the story. Personally, I'm disappointed--if indeed there were edits to take them out of the full shows included here--that the Dylan camp advertised full shows as part of the set, but have actually taken out large chunks of the performed material. And, yes, the sermons were performed material.

bluesbro and Mr. H like this.
  8. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Some of his words wouldn't go down too well 37 years on....

Walter Sobchak likes this.
  9. I happy the sermons are edited out but I wouldn’t haves minded if they were included for one show like San Diego

10. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

No surprise here, this was well discussed ahead of time.

11. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Yeah. I mean, they got my money so they don't care, but I regret spending the big bucks I did if all sermons are cut from everything. (I reserve the right to show mercy when I actually GET the package and see if the music forgives the sin of cutting all sermons.)

They could have avoided the "controversy" over Dylan apocalyptic Christianity by just NOT creating a 200 box set of this music/era. It's not like anyone but obsessed fans were clamoring for such a thing in ANY form.

mrjinks, bluesbro and savemenow like this.
  12. Champagne Boot

You're not wrong, but if they're trying to tell the story of the gospel years, it should actually be told--warts and all. Bob's weird meanderings into a very specific type of Christianity can only be fully explained when you consider his stabs at preaching the word.

bluesbro, dee, savemenow and 2 others like this.
  13. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

If I understand it correctly there was a particularly homophobic sermon that definitely would have been an issue

14. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Can't find any details of the 'DVD Extra' tracks. Has anyone got any info or do I have to stop ripping and load the DVD to find out?

15. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Which date was that? I think they are all bootlegged...

16. Champagne Boot

No one is saying include them all, but to not include any is a questionable decision, no matter how you cut it.

bobcat and savemenow like this.
  17. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Don't use a bottle opener you fool, you'll damage the packaging!

18. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Indeed. It might have been an issue with his own family.

19. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Mine arrived an hour ago and I started with the SD bonus discs. The intensity of "When He Returns" is just incredible. I think I am going to be spending a lot of time with this box.

HominyRhodes, AGimS and Zagonga like this.
  20. Zagonga

Zagonga Forum Resident

On the free Amazon box set download. Disc 2, Track 3, Gotta serve somebody states it comes from Earls Court 27-6-81 which is a typos of sorts. It is in fact Bag Segeberg 15-7-81

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  21. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

Deluxe set with SD bonus discs now show sold out on Sony site.
    Them that's got, enjoy them!

22. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Hate to grumble - this box is going to be a treasure chest - but, damn, considering how many incredible photos there are in the book and packaging generally, they really could have done better with the cover shot...

23. voles

voles Forum Lurker

They are on the DVD. In fact there is a special feature of 'Sermons Only'.

Incidentally the DVD Extras appear to be different versions of the performances in the film.

Zagonga likes this.
  24. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I am personally happy the sermons are not included. Historical value or not it would have lessened the considerable musical pleasures these discs contain. A good thing about the film is that one can choose to see the movie without the newly shot sermons or without. You can t do that kind of thing on a cd so I guess it would have become a less pleasant listening experience. For those interesting in earring Dylan preach fire and brimstone gospel they are not hard to find anyway.
    The music is the thing for me.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

No the sermons on the DVD are not Dylan they are newly filmed, highly enjoyable sermons from an actor
    That is kind of funny I think
    Very Dylanesque