Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

The more i listen to the Jerry solo catalog, the more i think the GoGD was actually more Bobby's band than not.

2. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I thought it was Phil's band.

3. libertycaps

Fair enough. But historically, Phil was asked to join by Jerry.

4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Can't remember who said it, maybe one of you folks, or prehaps the post-grad GD faculty at the various blogs. Anyway the story goes that was really the last Garcia-led studio project. He played on some others, but that album was his last gasp at crafting a studio album.

But Garcia and Phil were behind the decision to fire Weir (and Pigpen.)

Which led to Garcia, Phil and the drummers jamming at the Matrix, with a revolving cast, billed as Mickey and the Hartbeats....this is turn led to Garcia's participation in a regular jam at the Matrix that came to be centered around keyboardist Howard Wales.

At that jam, Garcia met John Kahn and Bill Vitt, who introduced him to Merle Saunders, etc. etc.

So you could look at it as Weir's fault the Garcia Band got started.

adamos and budwhite like this.
  5. libertycaps

Fair play, but let's be thankful that the talk of firing Ace was just talk.
    That happened fairly early in the game, IIRC. '68? '69?

Dominick and ianuaditis like this.
  6. ianuaditis

But it wasn't all talk; when the topic comes up, Weir has said multiple times 'I was fired." He hit the woodshed, and you can start to hear in 1969 the emergence of his distinctive rhythm style that really came into full bloom starting in 1970.

As Garcia told it: "It didn’t take. We fired them, all right, but they just kept coming back.”

Dominick likes this.
  7. libertycaps

Right. Dogged determination for the win. Bobby Weir is a classic Americana bio. :thumbsup:

Not to mention all those EPIC Playin' & Other One JAMS.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  8. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Bob is doing a lot of Hunter/Garcia songs these days. Was that always the case or is that a new thing?

9. bzfgt

It's been the case for a very long time, anyway.

budwhite likes this.
  10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

He sang "Stella Blue" at the Fare Thee Well show I saw. Seemed to be trying on a much more serious, Garcia-like stage persona compared to the rock goofball image he had for most of the 80's and 90's with the GD.

budwhite likes this.
  11. ianuaditis

Right now I'm listening to everyone's favorite Tiger Stripe Tyrannosaurus Jockey record, (Midnight Getaway is well worth the price of admission,) but lately I've been really enjoying Garcia's 1974-75 groups with Merle Saunders, Kahn, Fierro, and a rotating cast of drummers.

It's a really compelling adjunct to Grateful Dead 1974, which to me is the band at the height of its powers, and then Garcia is playing all of this eclectic stuff with Garcia/Saunders and Legion of Mary.

The 73 stuff is no slouch either. Dahabenzapple, I'm officially recommending to you Garcia Live 3,6, and 9

12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

24 years ago, who else was there?

Billy_Sunday and adamos like this.
  13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was. That was the night that John Kahn was having technical difficulties for a bit, so we got Jerry playing Freight Train to fill in time. Very good show (and tour).

adamos and Dennis0675 like this.
  14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Nice, I was on through buffalo

Crispy Rob likes this.
  15. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

"Goofball", that may be a bit harsh - maybe a bit in the mid 80's - but I never really took it as he was being a goofball.

I think he tries to be a bit too earnest during his take on Days Between and Stella --- though Ratdog's take on Days Between at the 2014 Chicago Theater was rather poignant. Stella didn't move me that much that night in Soldier field.

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I did the whole tour, which was a crazy amount of driving, given that each show was in a different city (not to mention that the route was not logical - lots of crisscrossing and backtracking), but worth it since I was in that "out of college, money spent, see no future, pay no rent" phase that I knew wouldn't last forever. We got used to seeing Jerry's tour bus in the other lane on the highway between shows from time to time.

17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

You animal!

19. bzfgt

I would also think "goofball." Just think about 7 or 8 years of falsetto "thank you" to end a set...

...and before Weir dies, someone has to ask him about that. Did he lose a bet? Think it was funny? I am fascinated by this phenomenon.

budwhite likes this.
  20. bzfgt

Every thread is about the Beatles on this forum!!!

Or maybe every thread is about every thread being about the Beatles?

But now most threads seem to be about every thread being about every thread being about the Beatles.

So I am starting a new tradition--every thread will be about every thread being about every thread being about the Beatles.

ianuaditis and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. highway

highway Forum Resident

Been playing Don't Let Go repeatedly (bonus tune on Cats Under the Stars) - just love the 8 minute guitar/ drum/ bass workout.

Crispy Rob, mgb70, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  22. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Anyone have any memory RE Garcia RSD vinyl releases being sold in non-limited fashion apart from RSD? I can't remember.
    Wondering if Side Trips will be available via wide release after Record Store Day Black Friday. I'd rather not deal with the crowd.

ianuaditis and Dennis0675 like this.
  23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I don’t know about a second release but it wasn’t so limited that I didn’t see it in shops for the next two years. Everything they have put out has been pretty easy to get, nothing needed camping out for RSD really.

24. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Gotcha. Are you referring to a release like Compliments? If so I know that was 7,000 copies and Side Trips is 2,500 I believe.
    I certainly won't be camping out for it - but I also wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the easiest to find soon after

25. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Well it took a little while but I managed to get a used copy with bonus disc, I think for less than than the original list price. While the condition wasn’t Like New as described it’s still very good overall so I’m happy with it, especially at that price. Looking forward to digging in.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Crispy Rob likes this.