Doors - "The Singles" 2 CD, 2 CD + Blu-Ray, & 7" Vinyl Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Some of it.

2. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

No weirder than bringing Jethro Tull into a Doors thread.

3. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Yes please stop. Keep it all Doors.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Nope. I enjoy both Other Voices and Full Circle.

5. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

6. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

After reading 32 of the 64 pages on this thread, and following up on the posts linked in my last post :help:...

The Singles: are the following single mixes inclusions confirmed?: corrections requested, as always :righton:

People are Strange: mono, unique mix
    Hello I Love You: stereo, unique mix, edited 9 seconds shorter, more white noise at end
    Love Street: stereo, unique wider mix, edited, 16 seconds shorter
    Wild Child: stereo, unique wider mix
    Easy Ride: stereo, 5 seconds longer

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Crimson Witch, dee and Soundslave like this.
  7. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

I can't get the quad mix to work on my Samsung BD-F5900 to Sony STR-K900 surround system. The right rear is silent, and I'm guessing the Samsung is sending the first 3 of the 4 channels to the front, although I didn't think to check the center speaker. I'm going to re-encode to 5.1 so it will play on my old system.

I've extracted the individual 192K channels, and judging by these, this will sound very good. As mentioned above, it's a shame the recent Pepper remix wasn't done similarly. It's fascinating to me that this was done in 1973. Is it known that the BD is the same as the original quad mix?

8. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Audiomuxer will do it in one pass with one simple check box...and yes it is the same excellent quad mix.

Dinstun likes this.
  9. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Thanks! I was trying to use eac3to command line, and it was being difficult.

10. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

The check box is under audio conversion in Audiomuxer. Can't remember exactly what it is called but when I get home in a few hours I can tell you if you can't find the setting...

11. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

I think I found it. There is a "Remix:" check box, with a selection for "to 5.1 Layout (remapping)". That should work.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The replacement 3 disc set I purchased also has a skip on disc 1.

Dr. Rhino never responded to my email inquiry.

Earlier in the thread a poster said he thought it was likely on the glass master. I suspect he is correct.

13. murch

murch Forum Resident

Slightly off topic but I’ve noticed that the vintage needle drop mono of strange days I’ve listened to doesn’t quite match the recent re-issue of the mono. These different mixes can be quite confusing...they grab a nearly 50 year old reel from the archives that’s labeled mono mix or whatnot but who knows what steps were involved in putting it to the original vinyl back in the day...

For instance the first “you’re lost” little girl is missing the “st” on lost on the reissue, but it’s there on the vintage.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  14. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

Thank you for confirming the mixes/edits, Six Bachelors. :righton::wave:

Crimson Witch likes this.
  15. pool_of_tears

And it's apparent how much better the single mixes of The Soft Parade material sounded, compared to the album mixes.

16. pool_of_tears

How about this:

Touch Me
    Shaman's Blues
    Whiskey, Mystics and Men
    Tell All The People * if only they played it like they did on the 1969 PBS special!
    Build Me A Woman *PBS performance...though the "Sunday trucker, christian motherf*cker" line wouldn't have gone over well with the executives.
    Wild Child
    Who Scared You
    Wishful Sinful * if only they played it like they did on the 1969 PBS special!
    The Soft Parade

Matthew Tate and David del Toro like this.
  17. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

That would have been great, so long as Robby gets a guitar solo instead of a saxophone solo, like he played on the Aquarius show

18. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Is the 69 special on YouTube or DVD ?

19. pool_of_tears

Yes, it’s on DVD. It might be available on YouTube, for viewing

20. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

A lot of pages here. How does the quad mix on the blu ray compare to the master which our host created for the sacd?

21. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Blu ray sounds shockingly better.

22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Just curious if anyone else perceives the opening chimes of Unhappy girl mono to not sound dead center between the speakers, equally loud in each channel. Perhaps it's speaker placement or some hf hearing loss on my end, I'm having trouble hearing the chimes not pull to the left or right of the center image, where they should be. Or was the tape deck not calibrated properly for mono ??

23. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Try it with headphones.

24. Anytime something I like comes out on Rhino, I think of this immediately. Terrible customer service and if you do get a response, it's probably better if you didn't get a response. They came through on 1 Doors Aquarius replacement disc on an RSD title a few years back but that was a huge struggle.

25. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Took much longer than one would expect, however Dr. R has ordered me a replacement 3 disc set. I will report back if this copy plays without skipping. The first two sets I purchased both skipped.

TheVillageRecorder likes this.