Jackie Gleason Color 1960s shows from Time-Life

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MarkTheShark, Oct 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member Thread Starter

The Jackie Gleason Show on DVD Available now in Color from TimeLife - Time Life

This one caught me off guard. I'm not an expert, but it looks to me like this could be a comprehensive set of all the non-Honeymooners shows from the last three seasons (the Miami years). And yes, those Honeymooners "shorts" are included.

As is part of the playbook these days, there are two versions of this set, the regular one and the deluxe one with a boatload more stuff. But in this case, the bigger set just combines the 1960s color Gleason shows with the 1950s Honeymooners Lost Episodes, which already have a set of their own.

Pretty cool, I never thought these would be released.

nikh33, Keith V, ted321 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

"The Miami Beach audience... is the greatest audience... in da world!"

3. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

As with any variety show release, I wait to hear about music cuts before I buy. The hour Red Skelton Shows as an example are hacked to bits.

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

"Sam..........That Jacket...is so ugly............."

5. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Always liked the overhead shot of the June Taylor dancers.

6. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Received my set yesterday, started watching some today ... so far the June Taylor Dancers have been cut out of the ones I have watched.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

outta reach for me...

8. Michael

are they serious?! Damn...

cloggedmind likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm guessing the music rights may have forced them to excise those segments.

10. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I hate music rights some get some friggen greedy..
    It's so long ago who will benefit from that music that was cut?
    Aren't most of those people dead?

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

ASCAP and BMI live forever, and you do have to pay the publishing rights for the music fees. I would bet the union orchestra members get a very small fee as well. I don't think it's a lot of money, but if you have 10 short songs in one hour-long episode (not impossible), and each song costs, say, $3000, now you have a rights bill of $30,000 per show. Multiple that times 50 shows and it's a not-insignificant amount of money. I don't think a boxed set like this is going to make a lot of money even without having to pay the music rights.

Simon A and Michael like this.
  12. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Not only do I think a set like this will not make a lot of money, I think the main reason for the release is to get the final 7 shorter non-musical Honeymooners out of dvd. There has been a lot of requests/demands from fans for those shows but that comes from the hard cores. The common fans have no interest in Sheila MacRae as Alice. (Though I will say in the ones I have watched so far I enjoy her more as Alice in these non-musical ones than I do in the musical ones.)

MarkTheShark and Vidiot like this.
  13. Michael

why would anyone want to spend over $200.00 clams for a butchered show ON DVD? I just can't get past that...

14. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Interesting.

15. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I find the musical Honeymooners to be about on par, entertainment wise, with the Brady Bunch variety hour. Actually, less so, because the Brady girls had really blossomed, especially Susan Olsen.

S. P. Honeybunch and Benno123 like this.
  16. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Forum Resident

Any comments? I looked at https://timelife.com/products/the-jackie-gleason-show-in-color-deluxe-collection
    and I don't think so. I'm a follower of Teresa Brewer and she was on Dec. 9, 1967. That episode is not on the 8-DVD set. These are all the non-Honeymooners eps given.

17. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Too bad everybody hates those color musical Honemooners so much. I loved them when I was a kid. I saw both the color ones and the classic 39, and I enjoyed them equally. I was around 10 or 11 when I watched the color ones, so those were like "My" Honeymooners!

18. Michael

very...

19. Michael

then they should have a disclaimer: we're going to charge top dollar for an incomplete chopped up DVD box set at BD pricing...TL must be taking lessons from Shout or vise versa who also loves to charge top dollar for DVD...so, they should charge less and sell more possibly.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think they're doing the best they can with a shrinking market where the costs are rising and the rewards are diminishing. It's a real problem if you have a music-oriented show and you have to clear (say) 6 songs per hour, and five of them are cheap and you can get them for $2000 each, and then some guy who owns the last song says, "ya know, I think this is worth $100,000." :eek:

I know of a case where a very, very famous 1950s/1960s artist's estate routinely licenses out quite a few of the singer's songs for TV and commercial use. But for some reason, whoever is running the estate wants a huge amount of money for one particular song. Nobody knows why -- it's not even the artist's biggest hit. But if the artist sings it in a TV show or somebody wants to use it in a commercial... the lawyers want six figures for the rights. As a result, it never gets used. So crap like that does happen.

goodiesguy, Simon A and Michael like this.
  21. Michael

thanks for the explanation and it's too bad for us...I guess sometimes we have to take what we can get on a favorite show or jus pass on it...

22. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member Thread Starter

The disclaimer is the lack of the word "uncut" in the advertising.

23. Michael

NO, some may expect complete shows...lack of the word uncut...

24. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Forum Resident

I'm trying to clear this up: Color Honeymooners. Were the regular variety shows of that time also in color? 1966, 1967 ...
    On Youtube there is Teresa Brewer's December 9, 1967 performance in b&w. Maybe that's from kinescope that was just b&w?

25. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Please let us know more as you get through the set.

The 39 classic Honeymooners episodes are among my favorite shows ever .

I watched the infomercial for this set though and have a sneaking suspicion that the humor in the color shows is of its time and wouldn't strike me funny anymore .

All these guys like Milton Berle, Mickey Rooney appearing make me wonder if the humor is of the level of those mediocre Bob Hope specials ?

So, please let us know if these episodes are just pleasant nostalgia time pieces or if the sketches etc. still actually hold up as funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.