Ho Ho Ho! - Upcoming Holiday / Christmas releases?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nathan Aaron, Aug 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

OK, Santa lovers, what's coming our way in 2017?

sjaca, Hep Alien, teag and 1 other person like this.
  2. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

I just ordered the new Frank Sinatra double vinyl

the Darius Rucker looks good, not sure about Gwen Stefani or her boyfriend or lady antebellum

not much interesting "new" releases

Nathan Aaron and Christopher B like this.
  3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Really excited for this, Bloodshot Records' first ever Xmas compilation. Looks like it's gonna be a boozy awesome good time. It was hard to choose between the red or green vinyl. I went green.
    Bloodshot Records' 13 Days of Xmas

dan c

keef00, PretzelLogic and GerryO like this.
  4. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

As usual, the Real Gone Music label has a number of vintage Christmas album CD reissues out this year:

The Robert Shaw Chorale - Christmas Hymns and Carols Vol. II
    Percy Faith and His Orchestra - Music of Christmas (Expanded Edition)
    Connie Smith - Joy to the World (Expanded Edition)
    The Ames Brothers - There'll Always Be a Christmas (60th Anniversary Deluxe Mono Edition)
    Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians - 'Twas the Night Before Christmas and Christmas Time (twofer)
    The Supremes - The Ultimate Merry Christmas (2-CD set)

Kirk76, Hep Alien, George C. and 2 others like this.
  5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Cheap Trick is really good. Nice variety of material including "Silent Night" as a power ballad, Nilsson's "Remember Christmas" done very faithfully, and a bunch of old and new rockers. "Merry Christmas Darlings" has a great Slade-like sound and of course they cover Slade as well. Anyone who liked the last couple albums will dig it.

linclink and Hep Alien like this.
  6. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

The Minus 5 has a holiday-themed release coming out soon. LP will be released on Record Store Day.

linclink, Neil Anderson and Dan C like this.
  7. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

All good, all good. I have to order the US stuff early to avoid it being delayed in the festive post, so I'm gonna make a start soon...

8. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

Harriet's excellent Christmas album (Winter Stories or Maybe This Christmas) is finally getting a re-release this year. It was originally very limited in supply and people have been wanting a re-release to come since the original release! It's a great and very tasteful album, and Harriet sounds a bit like Karen Carpenter, but also very distinctive in her own way. Needless to say, I'm really excited for my CD to come!
    The single version of the title track:

Harriet (8) - Winter Stories (Maybe This Christmas - Fan Edition)
    http://www.harrietsmusic.com/shop/

David*M and SJP like this.
  9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Omg I’m so getting this! “Your Christmas Whiskey” by Minus 5 on the 2007 Yep Roc “Oh Santa!” comp is one of my favorite holiday tracks ever. Really wish they’d give that one a vinyl release.

dan c

Walt likes this.
  10. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

"Your Christmas Whiskey" is one of my favorites as well! AND it's on this new rekkid!

Dan C likes this.
  11. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

Can you let us know how the Sinatra sounds when you get it ? Ive got reissue of his Christmas album from a few years back and it sounds great. I saw his new comp in Barnes and Noble for $34.99

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Maybe the Harriet this year...? And I need to get that third Kate Rusby holiday offering. It's sad, I don't see any fresh discoveries on the horizon to take a chance on. What's worse...with over 150 radically unique holiday CD's, another hundred on LP's (and another 50+ songs by themselves), I may have reached my limit. It's not like I really have an excuse to find anything new, now that I turned my online station off. And it's not like I don't have enough... :shake:

Sad part is, as much as I enjoy the music I have on hand, Christmases for the past three decades have been all about finding new discoveries, not just already on my playlist. So, unless Weird Al brings out a 2-disc reading of A Childs' Christmas in Wales or something bizarro like that, gonna be a chilly yule log this year.

13. Charlie Z.

Charlie Z. Forum Resident

I got the Percy Faith yesterday on release day and it is wonderful. They really did a beautiful job on this CD.

14. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Benno123 likes this.
  15. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Do the bonus tracks kill the beautiful mood of the album? I sometimes find they do and this is why I've held off ordering this one. I have a superb US 1st pressing on LP and the first CD pressing as well. I love that album.

16. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

Is this a new recording or rerelease? I saw it on the RSD release sheet and I am interested

17. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Is this wide release, or one of those short-print RSD deals?

18. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. Such an iconic album, the kind you WOULDN'T want to add unrelated bonus tracks to.

Simon A likes this.
  19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

20. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I feel that the bonus tracks, though worthwhile, would have been a much better fit for an expanded CD of Faith's Christmas Is (being secular, pop Christmas tunes as opposed to the traditional carols on Music of Christmas). I said as much to Chip Arcuri, who runs the Yule Log.com Message Board and plays a big role in all of Real Gone's Christmas releases. Chip's position is that they're a better fit for Music of Christmas because they're all instrumentals while most of the Christmas Is tracks are vocal. So there you go.

Hoping there's at least a gap track between the album proper and the bonus material.

Hep Alien and Simon A like this.
  21. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I guess ultimately, those decisions are made by individuals whom have their personal vision for such projects. A shame as Christmas Is is close to 50/50 on the vocal/instrumental tracks. Hopefully, Sony will chose to offer a 96/24 and/or 192/24 download of the album as they've recently done when they released their CD-R reissue of the excellent and underrated Ed Sullivan Presents Music Of Christmas (also available on iTunes).

22. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

23. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Probably, since Amazon's not selling it.

24. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

I agree with you and thanks for that info. I also wanted to comment on the bonus tracks on the Yule Log Message Board, but for some reason I think I got banned! I can't sign in anymore and when I try, it directs me directly to Acuri's (the Christmas Music Guru's) email, and he ain't responding. :confused:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  25. phish

phish Jack Your Body

Dan C and stereoptic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.