David Crosby "Sky Trails"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I love this lp. Was scared off by the poor vinyl reports, so just went with the cd, which sounds great. Still may grab the vinyl anyway.

Lots of people think Big Star sounded cheesy, soft, too. Sometimes highly introspective music is difficult for some to listen to. I get that. DC is a very introspective writer, always has been, always will be. Not for everybody. But as authentic and real as they come. Which, in this day and age particularly, is not only rare, but desperately needed. How wonderful to still have somebody like David Crosby releasing great art these days. Makes me feel just a little bit better about things.

2. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

This has been my drive to work album since it came out. Fabulous piece of work. Great to see him hitting his stride again.

I loved Croz and Lighthouse as well.

With the recent quality of albums in the past 3-4 years from them individually, it makes you glad they burried the CSN brand

3. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Also at HDTracks now.

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

ah, but with such a surge in artistic achievement, just imagine what they could have done together?

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I've heard it all the way through once. "Curved Air" and "Home Free" are wonderful songs. Really up there with some of his strongest modern material.

What's the story on the vinyl? People are saying the pressings are of bad quality?

The MEZ likes this.
  6. Sunsales

Sunsales Forum Resident

Yes, for me the vinyl was very noisy - in the same places for both my initial purchase and replacement(Amazon).

Also, the hole in LP#2, did not fit my spindle.

7. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Was the noise able to be cleaned away? Or are we talking deep cuts, scuffs or marks?

8. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

My vinyl copy while not perfectly quiet, plays pretty good. I cant say that for the last album, Lighthouse. Tried two copies , both very noisy . Give up and got the CD.

9. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Who knew Crosby would still be alive in 2017 let alone still putting out material!

10. Less. The strength of the Crosby material would have gotten diluted in a group setting. (But I do thing Stills & Collins is pretty good, too).

11. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I'm with a lot of the posters. This release is wonderful and will more than likely make it into my year end top 10. I also echo the sentiments that not only am I happy he's still with us given what he's been through, but that he's still releasing music of this quality.

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

have you heard nash's 'this path tonight"? it also kills it.

The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

all 3 guys have released great stuff since 2000. every release

The MEZ, Hep Alien and rjp like this.
  14. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

For me, Nash's album had a short shelf life.

Crosby's material seems a bit more adventurous and diverse.

The MEZ, chrisblower and Chrome_Head like this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yes sir matthew, you are pretty much spot on.

crosby:
    CPR - just like gravity
    crosby*nash - s/t
    croz
    lighthouse
    sky trails
    voyage box set

stills:
    man alive
    just roll tape
    live at shepherds bush
    carry on box set
    manassas - pieces
    the rides - can't get enough
    the rides - pierced arrow
    stills & collins

nash
    songs for survivors
    this path tonight
    crosby*nash - s/t
    reflections box set

'man alive" by stills is probably the worst of the lot, and that was recorded mostly before 2000, just not released until after.

Sci-Flyer, The MEZ, Humbuster and 2 others like this.
  16. I really like several songs from it. But I think all three of Crosby's last few albums are quite a bit better. I did not like Nash's contributions to the final Crosby-Nash album, and I think they made it weaker than the two CPR albums that preceded.

The MEZ and Humbuster like this.
  17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i do agree that david crosby is on another level right now than stills, nash and young.

just amazing what he is doing...and he is touring too.

The MEZ, vegafleet, slosaint and 3 others like this.
  18. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Just listened to Croz, Lighthouse and Sky Trails concurrently for the first time. Absolute bliss! :thumbsup:

The MEZ, Matthew Tate and Chrome_Head like this.
  19. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

I'm looking to grab the vinyl of this - can anyone report copies without major issues?

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Saw him last night in Indianapolis. What a fantastic concert. He’s totally reborn musically and is in great shape and so is his voice. Will post photos when I get back to England. But here’s one edited on my phone

[​IMG]

Also. He encored with Neil’s Ohio!

The MEZ, Sigma6, chrisblower and 5 others like this.
  21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

plays kent ohio tonight.......i'm guessing he gets there early and goes to the site.

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

saw croz last night.........can't emphasize enough how much you need to see him before you can't.

also encore with 'ohio'...........whole sold out crowd singing 'four dead in ohio" at the end.......and it all happened less than a mile away :(

The MEZ, wallpaperman, jkauff and 4 others like this.
  23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

There are other types of noises that can involve non-fill and just poor vinyl composition.

24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's just a noisy crackly background in places like slightly worn old vinyl. I'm not sure but I think this US pressed vinyl is from Rainbo? How annoying will depend system especially cartridge. It's one of those were it may be most annoying on mid range set up. 3 out of 4 sides play fairly clean. Sounds like issues are fairly consistent but some copies may be worse than others.

25. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

I'd love confirmation of whether or not it's pressed at Rainbo - it would be then easy for me to pass on this - sadly.
    Anyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.