George Harrison, "You"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DK Pete, Nov 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

While I think this is pretty good song, I was always annoyed at the sped up lead vocal; does anyone have any links which have the vocal speed-corrected ?

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Was the vocal sped up? Or was it that George had to sing in a higher key because he used the same backing track of the song that he arranged for Ronnie Spector to do?

3. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Does anyone have a speed-corrected version of Paul Robeson singing “Ol’ Man River” in the original falsetto?

4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

You want mono, stereo, or duophonic? Which pressing plant you interested in?

BeatlesBop, PDK, RickH and 3 others like this.
  5. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

Don't think George's vocal is sped up, and regardless, I love "You." :love:

6. Arnold Grove

Oh you hound .. . :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

;)

7. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

I think George's lead vocal is sped up a little, but yes, the track was probably recorded in a key too high for his own vocal range. This is because George originally recorded 'You' for Ronnie Spector to sing.

George loved the backing track so much that he later decided to utilise it for his own album. He may possibly have been wiser re-recording the track in a lower key, but I think it's a nice track nevertheless.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  8. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Too bad Ronnie did not finish it and release it as her first Apple single. Try Some Buy Some was doomed.

pobbard and PaperbackBroadstreet like this.
  9. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I suspect that George played the backing track at a slower speed/lower pitch during the recording of his vocal, and then sped the whole recording back to its original pitch.

This left the backing track as originally recorded, but had the effect of making George sound like he was on helium.

So if you reduce the track's pitch to make George sound normal, you muddy up the backing track.

Shak Cohen, majorlance, D.B. and 6 others like this.
  10. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Indeed. Although I always liked that George left a small part of Ronnie's signature 'ad-lib' vocals ("Wo-wo-woahh!'') in the final mix of his own version.

NothingBrightAboutIt and JDeanB like this.
  11. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

12. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I think his sped up vocal sounds ridiculous. I’d rather hear Dark Hoarse.

13. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

She could have had a hit with this song.

It would take another decade with her guesting on Take me home tonight.

JDeanB likes this.
  14. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

You can also hear her vocal from 1:57 to 2:03 and taking the final ‘You’ all by herself at 2:04.

Suncola and NothingBrightAboutIt like this.
  15. Maybe he should have let Paul sing it. :tiphat:

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I know that it was written for her, but Phil insisted on “Try Some Buy some”. I didn’t know that she recorded a vocal. Has it seen the light of day anywhere?

17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

Your first sentence says exactly what I'm thinking. And I agree, there's definitely a helium effect in his voice..sounds a bit "over-the-top".

fungomatto likes this.
  18. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Her version has never surfaced but a vocal take, even possibly a master, exists somewhere. Most likely it’s in the possession of the Harrison estate.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    linclink and BlueJay like this.
  19. slane

slane Forum Resident

I don't think that George's vocal is sped up (or not much if it is, and certainly not 'chipmunk' level). And Ronnie must have laid down a vocal as she is heard at various points (the title phrase after the solo is Ronnie IMO, not sped-up George). Ronnie is definitely heard at the end, particularly on the fade-out.

20. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

There are other songs which she recorded at this time ('Tandoori Chicken', 'Lovely La-De-Day') which were supposed to find their way onto an Apple album, but the album was never finished. I've often wondered quite how many songs were recorded and to what extent they were 'finished'. Does anyone know?

WilliamWes and wim1958 like this.
  21. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

There are either five or six completed tracks; the four already mentioned (Try Some Buy Some, Tandoori Chicken, You, Lovely La-De-Day), I Love Him Like I Love My Very Life and the rumored When Every Song Is Sung (I’ll Still Love You).

WilliamWes and BlueJay like this.
  22. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

23. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Thanks! Obviously not enough (as far as we know) to make a full-length album. But a 5 or 6 song download ep would be better than nothing.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  24. Arnold Grove

It seems like George gave that song away to anyone who would take it (didn't Cilla Black have a try at it too?). And then when Ringo took it and released it on the Rotogravure album, George sued him ... :crazy:

Jimbo62 likes this.
  25. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.