De Agostini - 'The Beatles Vinyl Collection' mail order set via subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OneStepBeyond, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fabwill

fabwill Forum Resident

So am I. Latest subscription package arrived this morning with BBC2 and LIB. All in immaculate condition. Subscribers seem to now be ahead of the shop purchasers, which I imagine reflects how the distribution works this late into a partwork - more being sent to subscribers than shops. Also quite a nice rucksack. Just 2 more packages to go!

2. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

I'm not sure how a subscription would work when we're pretty near the end of the series. Anyway, my opinion is that you probably don't really need to get these pressings judging by what you already have in your collection. I bought most of them as I didn't have any of the 2012 stereo pressings or the Anthology/BBC series on either LP or CD, and some of my other Beatles LPs are not in the best shape. So these De Agostini issues filled a few gaps.

PrinceofSE10 and OneStepBeyond like this.
  3. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

My BBC2 & LIB arrived 15 mins ago, in perfect order and including the satchel/backpack. Happy days!!

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  4. Gibson67

Hi Jeff & Welcome!

If you are prepared to accept that your subscription will probably not run smoothly. IE late orders, duplicate orders, and occasional damaged items....then I’d say go for it. I’ve had all of the aforementioned incidents but I’m sure they’ll be others in agreement when I say these are fine sounding pressings and for that reason I’ve stuck with it.

Any issues I’ve encountered they’ve rectified albeit sometimes on a lengthy timescale. If you are thinking of subscribing then the storage boxes are a nice item and are quite sought after. These are an option on the subscription page.

As I previously mentioned the pressings really are beautiful sounding!!

Nige

PrinceofSE10 likes this.
  5. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member Thread Starter

Having the stereo box, I'd personally not see the need... as I'm sure you've read, there are some that say a few 'better' the 2012s by an appreciable amount and others that say if there IS anything in it, it's not that noticeable. However, if you have to have everything you can lay your hands on and have the available funds then that's fair enough. :) I know a lot of people have had problems with the company but we simply don't know how many - I had the idea the other day of doing a poll once the series has ended, just out of curiosity. People say that they can be hard work but get there in the end with aht you ask them. All I can say to that is that they seem to, the vast majority of the time...

I was thinking something similar and feel I should bring something back up I said way back. A friend subbed a few issues in but didn't get his MMT. He rung them and they sent him a 2nd copy of YS (!) After 3 or 4 more calls (the last two I was present for) they said it had "sold out" due to being "a very popular one with the book"! That, we could understand - in a way. So they told him they were waiting for more copies from their suppliers. on the last call, he asked can they let him know when it's available again. They then said "...sorry can't help you." I'd not have accepted that and would have said YOU WHAT??!?! had I been talking to them. :laugh: Seriously, that's not communication difficulties as some have experienced (and I've heard how awful the phone line to their call centre can get) but that was as clear as day. I've checked the website many a time and although AHDN was removed a good while ago, MMT is still there. So he got his copy of the latter from Discogs and what exactly happened there is open to interpretation...

Mr. Explorer and PrinceofSE10 like this.
  6. OneStepBeyond

Sorry to keep on about it... but could anyone post a link regarding this? I've not been able to find anything on the forum and so Googled it with no success. It's just that it's been mentioned a few times now and when it first was, I thought I'd see something that points to it although it's probably buried in this thread somewhere and I've missed it when looking on my phone! Thanks.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  7. OneStepBeyond

:righton: Can't wait for my LIB next week. although I'm getting it two days late due to working... I still won't fall out of love with my 1984 'export' LP or 1987 CD though. :D This will complete the original albums in the series and just leaves the last few compilations.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  8. misterP

misterP Well-Known Member

Bugger. Knew I should have left the porch open this morning. These weren’t due for another week.

9. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I thought that it first appeared here in this thread.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  10. Gibson67

It surprised me too, this is the quickest I’ve ever recieved issues!

11. OneStepBeyond

I've just done a search of this thread (earlier, a more general one and using Google a couple of times previously before that) and can't see a thing, like a quite from him. There's a possibility it was on a link or even a video was posted in this thread but I don't think especially the latter is too likely...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It was an interview and I followed the link and read it with mine own eyes. He said that it was "all his fault".

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. OneStepBeyond

Like you say a few posts back, you DID read it in this thread. :thumbsup: I had another Google and this popped out at me when I scrolled down a page, thinking something just might come up this time....

Spoke with Sean. These titles are mostly THE SAME as the 2012 stereo box set. 1’s is from the new remixes also previously released and Red & Blue are from Hirez files made when those were reissued ALL ANALOG on vinyl a few years ago.

Being the gentleman that he is, Sean says about the clip:

"The clipped start on AHDN was entirely my fault, it was less than 0.1 secs and easy to miss, that's how small it was. Still that doesn’t excuse it, I take the blame for that.”

-Michael

So, my apologies to all but I wanted to be clear. :) It was some months ago though and as soon as I saw it, I remembered the actual post.

14. seanjennings

seanjennings Member

I received this DM on Twitter, from DeAgostini, 2 days ago, i've been busy with work, so i'm just posting this now.

Hi Sean, I have followed this up with the Customer Care Team and the Production Department who have advised me that there is a more widespread issue with this album. We have therefore worked with Apple Corps and Abbey Road Studios to produce replacement copies of this album to be supplied to all customers as soon as possible. This process is currently in the final stages and will be sent out to customers as soon as possible, however, we cannot guarantee a specific time as these are not currently in hand at our warehouse as they are still being sent out to us. A note has been placed on your account to send a replacement copy out to you as soon as our stock is received at the warehouse, which is due imminently. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this has caused you, and please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. Best Regards, DeAgostini Admin

So if this message, from their Customer Services, is to be believed, personally i can't see it happening, this could just be a way, of getting people, off their backs about this problem, i don't personally believe, anything, that comes out of their mouths, they are working on re-cutting this, hopefully with the correct chord on AHDN, but are not willing, or can't give a date when this will be completed, and copies dispatched to their warehouse.
    I'm still waiting for a replacement copy, which they said, they were sending me out, i'm still trying to chase them up, about that.

On a different subject, i can't wait, to buy LIB, when it's released next wk Will be nice, to have the original version, finally on vinyl, and, the 2015 Stereo remix of 1, in 3 wks time.

Mr. Explorer and Yosi like this.
  15. culabula

culabula Unread author.

My AHDN replacement arrived this morning. Suspect there’s little point in opening it.

16. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

The sensible thing to say would be 'don't waste your money' - the Hoffman forum response would be 'you know you want it, go for it!'. :)

17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Less hassle buying the 2012 reissues for the main catalogue and AAA Red and Blue albums - available from record shops or Amazon without the errors on Pepper and AHDN. The reissued Anthology titles are the only ones worth getting if you don't have them and or as an upgrade. All IMO.

PrinceofSE10 likes this.
  18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Unfortunately, much more expensive than the DeAgostini. In the case of the Red and the Blue pair, worth the extra for all-analogue but faced with the choice of 49GBP in HMV for the Anthologies as against 24.99, then the Italians win, as they do for all the single LPs. If it’s a dealbreaker, buy everything from Deagostini except AHDN and Pepper*.

*Then write in and demand free copies of the two offending titles for their rarity value
    ;-)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  19. Classicrock

I should have said don't buy in HMV :). It sounds like they have recently jacked up their vinyl prices. Last year when I last visited a branch prices were similar to Amazon. I did say the new Anthologies were worth getting from De Agostini because they are the new mastering (as well as cheaper).

PrinceofSE10 likes this.
  20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

You did.

HMV prices are now even more expensive than butter but Amazon aren’t far behind. The BBC triples are over fifty quid while the two AAA compilations are an affordable 33 pounds each.

Money aside, what swings it for me are the MPO pressings. By and large, immaculate.

21. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

stem likes this.
  22. Classicrock

Amazon prices are OK on the standard albums. White album is currently only £22 and Red and Blue £31. For some inexplicable reason the BBC titles and Anthology's are extortionately priced everywhere. That must be due to Universal pushing up wholesale price. Well worth getting those from De Agostini though I'm sticking to my CDs for the 2 BBC titles due to the limits on SQ and amount of spoken material. Also Amazon have dropped the price of the SP remix if anyone is still desiring it.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  23. crazybeats

crazybeats Forum Resident

I would absolutely love some record shop owners to reveal the wholesale prices of records. I can't believe they are anywhere near the prices being sold in store and I think every shop is absolutely ripping every penny they can from the pockets of customers.

But much like it has in the past it will backfire on them and like the vultures that we are we will descend on these shops when they are forced to lower their prices lol.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. Classicrock

I expect profit margins are sufficient for them to eat any faulty returns!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. crazybeats

crazybeats Forum Resident

If HMV can sell Michael Jackson for £9.99..........I'm pretty sure they can sell the Beatles for the same price.

I would love to see what the prices really are. I know maybe 5 years back I looked into pricing here in the UK and there was a company that had all the prices on their website and I just put in the very basics, plain white label with black text, plain black jacket no artwork, 20 minutes per side and the minimum order was 500 copies. It worked out just over £1200. And it was literally pennies between the black and white label and one with colour, I think it was an extra £2 per copy for a jacket with artwork on it, you supplied your own or there was a charge for them to do it for you so everything basic, 40 minute album, less than £3 per copy. All the bells and whistles £5. And that's me doing it. I'm not Sony or Warner Bros or Universal Music. I'm sure if they ordered 500 copies of something they would get a far better deal. 7" singles with black and white labels and plain sleeve were less than 70p each, I think it was 67p.

They are rolling in money. If I can have my own 40 minute LP or 7" single made for those prices, what are the major labels paying? They are raking it in and I would love to see one of these distributors lists to see what the wholesale prices really are because I suspect that HMV could sell MANY albums at £9.99 and still make a profit and I'll bet the prices that the indie pay are not much different either. And I loved singles. I haven't bought a 45 in years from a record store and it pains me when I see see albums for £24.99 and £30 because I know they absolutely paid less than £10 for it. They're not making a little profit on it, they're doubling, maybe tripling their money on each copy.

When they do their sales they are selling at correct prices. Their website is full of cheap vinyl, it's never on the actual shelves but they have many great albums at £7.99 and £8.99 but IMO.....that's the way all albums should be. And people argue with me and say Michael Jackson albums have made their money back years ago, it's a catalogue title so they don't have to make the advertising money back by charging extra well isn't the Beatles the same way? Didn't Abbey Road make it's fortune decades ago? Of course it did so it's had it's time so why not £9.99 from here on out?

The whole business revolved around money but like I said the time will come when people no longer pay these prices and they will have to shift stock and that's when people like myself will go and pick up many albums that we would like to own but we can't afford to buy just now. If this company could have sold all these Beatles albums at £9.99 retail like they did with Abbey Road they would have wiped the slate clean with every other retailer and the business is ripe enough for it. If other companies could come along like this and offer good music, good pressings at good prices it would cause big changes in the industry. And i'm not even blaming the labels, I blame the shops charging for what they do. I blame Amazon for charging what they do but companies like this could do so much. Whether it's The Beatles, maybe it's soundtracks, maybe it's current music in the charts. Giving people good value for money on a monthly basis they would take so much business away from everyone else everyone else would need to step their game up.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.