Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Give Take 5 of Visions of Johanna (from the earlier sessions) a listen. The way he sings the line "Infinity goes up on trial!" is worth the price of admission. *Cough* for the record, it's at 4:13-4:17.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  2. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Yes, this is mostly the case. Hearing individual tracks is ok, but listening to a full session is where it's at. There are exceptions, of course. One that comes to mind for me is One Of Us Must Know take 13. Not even a wildly different take. But it's of such high quality, if maybe just a tad too loose, and with the accidental false ending. It certainly can stand on its own, and provides a fun alternate for one of my favorite songs. But when it comes to stuff like She's Your Lover Now, aside from the take on Bootleg Series 1-3, and the solo piano cut, none of this stuff works on its own.

Tim Wilson and posnera like this.
  3. street legal

street legal Senior Member

When this was first released (wow, I can't believe it's almost 2 years ago already) I *settled* for the 2 disc "best of" set, as I couldn't bring myself to part with over $100 for 6 CD's . . . even though it IS Dylan.

But, I have been looking for a used copy of the 6 disc deluxe edition on and off,
    and my patience has finally paid off.
    I scored a used copy for only $22!!!
    The outer box is beat to hell (REALLY bad) but the discs and books are in excellent condition, which is what matters most.

Listening to and enjoying the full band version of "Desolation Row" right now.
    Great stuff! I've only listened to the first 2 discs so far, but can't wait to really dig into the full 6 disc set. I don't know if this is something that I will listen to all
    THAT often, but I am very glad to finally own it, nonetheless.

Buda, Joey_Corleone, mrjinks and 9 others like this.
  4. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Are there a couple of dropouts on the Take 2, complete version of "Queen Jane Approximately", or is my disc defective?

5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Dropouts? I don't think so.

I just saw a copy of the 6-disc box brand new in the shrink wrap for a $179 at Zia Records. It's been there awhile.

6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Wow, this thread has become the first SHF thread to surpass ONE MILLION VIEWS.

Remarkable.
    :yikes:

BigSur32, Man at C&A, raphph and 3 others like this.
  7. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

There was another a few months ago that then got deleted, can't remember which one it was now though! Was definitely either Beatles or Dylan....

8. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

[​IMG]

Joey_Corleone, jlf, RayS and 2 others like this.
  9. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

10. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Well, there's proof that the forum stats are wrong. I've looked at this thread at least 1.5 million times.

Also, anyone looking for a cheap 6-disc version should take a look at the prices for the bigger Collector's edition.
    It's at the cutting edge of impossibility.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  11. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Back to the deluxe box of this tonight.

I have #13 deluxe preordered at a pretty high Amazon $ right now.

The Bootleg Series has been insane. The one coming is very intriguing & covers Dylan's most underrated period, imo.

That said, I can't imagine loving any volume more than this here "Cutting Edge" box.
    The crown jewel volume, imo.

12. revolution_vanderbilt

Just thought I'd pop in to say that, two years on, I no longer really enjoy the released take/mix of Queen Jane Approximately. I wasn't really bothered by how out of tune it all is until hearing the earlier takes, or the remix of the album take. I included the song in a playlist, and I didn't even get through the second verse before stopping and swapping it out with the Cutting Edge mix. Far preferable.

13. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

What makes the BS12 remix that much better than the original, do you think? It would still be out of tune, wouldn't it?

14. revolution_vanderbilt

The guitars are mixed a lot lower.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  15. Sean Murdock

Ah, got it. I'll have to give a closer listen.

16. revolution_vanderbilt

In a lot of cases, the tracks are presented in a rougher, rawer sounding mix (especially compared to how the outtakes were mixed on earlier volumes) but here they must have seen the opportunity to make an improvement. All the better considering that unlike BIABH and BOB, Highway 61 never got a remix.

IronWaffle and Sean Murdock like this.
  17. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Not the same take. Slower.
    The mono mix has the out-of-tune guitar buried in the mix.

18. Sean Murdock

Well, the released take -- by definition -- has to be on Big Blue, right? But I get the part about the guitars being buried or mixed lower.

EDIT: Or are you saying that the mono and stereo LPs used different takes of the song?

19. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

The LP mixes are not on the big blue box, and the mono and stereo LP mixes are not different takes.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

The lp takes are on the big box. They were remixed I believe

zobalob and subtr like this.
  21. revolution_vanderbilt

Every take, LP takes included, are on the big box, and everything in the big box was newly remixed.

"Half of the people can be part right all of the time, some of the people can be all right part of the time, but all of the people can’t be all right all of the time"

Sean Murdock likes this.
  22. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I really like the fresh mixes of the master takes on the box set, and even compiled a new Blonde on Blonde from those mixes.

23. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Sorry, you're right, of course. I meant the LP mixes aren't on the box set. They are remixes.

24. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

After many months without a home, "Electric Dylan" is back!

The format is much the same but Roger has made revisions to all the sections and, perhaps best of all for those who do not subscribe to ISIS magazine, he has included his six part forensic examination of "The Cutting Edge Collector's Edition" in the original PDF format! Even better, he has added "sticky note" revisions to those articles. (It is best to download the articles, because the digital "sticky notes" don't work too well on screen; the latest two, dealing with the BS7 sampler snippets, are a bit wonky on the downloads as well, but I expect Roger will get them sorted out before long.)

The whole thing remains a work-in-progress, but the site itself has been smoke-tested over the last month or so. All the links work on PC and on mobile devices. As always, Roger welcomes comments and corrections. He's not immune to praise, either!

Time to crack open Big Blue again!

Electric Dylan

#

ralphk, RayS, Dflow and 10 others like this.
  25. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Thank you! Very much enjoying it so far.

One can never have too many excuses to go back to Big Blue.

Buda, SteveFff and Percy Song like this.