Whitesnake 30th Anniversary (1987)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by everyday_ffm, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Slipping away from the thread ....but anyone heard or seen any clips yet from the Purple Tour Live set coming out shortly??

2. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with Vandenberg material. I'm going tonch check it out!

3. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Listened to both - just can’t get into them, unfortunately.

4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Got to the DVD...the 5.1 mix on the videos isn't very impressive, but everything else is. The behind the scenes stuff is a treat and the making of documentary is fantastic, with classic interviews and new stuff from the ever classy David Coverdale.

So the remaster is disappointing in terms of sound quality, but all the bonus audio, DVD, book and packaging for under $40? Totally worth it.

5. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

The earlier version of “Bad Boys” slowed down on Evolutions sounds tough as ****; it just grooves so beautifully. And those harmonics are godlike.

junk likes this.
  6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Honestly...Bad Boys is one of the great songs of heavy metal.

Leigh Burne, Porkpie and Cooks420 like this.
  7. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Seconded.

Curveboy likes this.
  8. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

I listened to some of the four album track remixes on YouTube and they are a very different presentation and unfortunately so loud that they sound distorted. Nearly all of the reverb is gone, making it sound more modern and more like an unfinished demo. There are some extra guitar parts that didn't make the original mix, which is interesting to hear and the guitar parts are more upfront with more detail to be heard, but the tone is different and more modern, almost like a direct tone. The drums sometimes sound odd. I much prefer the originals but it was interesting to hear.

9. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

After truly digesting the Evolutions CD, I am in love with certain parts of “Children of the Night” and “You’re Gonna ...” that didn’t make the cut. Even if it’s not actually true, Coverdale and Sykes sound like they had true chemistry together.

WhoDaresWins and Curveboy like this.
  10. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

When Coverdale decided to change from a blues based rock to metal rock, Sykes was definitely the right fit for the change in musical direction. After listening to the Evolutions disc and then listened to the Live in '84 Back to the Bone cd (link below). This live cd is also a good example on how Sykes helped changed the Snake sound. The version of Crying in the Rain on Live in '84 also documents the evolution of the track which appeared on 1987 lp.

Whitesnake - Live In '84: Back To The Bone

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Yes...it's a great blend of both versions of the song.

12. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Ordered box set this morning. Can't wait to get this box. Hard to believe 30 years ago. Can't wait to go through this box.

WhoDaresWins, Cooks420 and Curveboy like this.
  13. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Nothing to add to the actual music of this release but man was Tawny Kitaen just about one of the hottest women ever in those videos? Just stunning and sexy. I was taken by her as a kid and nothing has changed 30 years later.

driverdrummer and The Slug Man like this.
  14. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Also one of the best looking to grace a Ratt album cover as well;):D

Cooks420 and uncle like this.
  15. uncle

uncle Senior Member

You ain't lying!

16. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons Well-Known Member

Folks, are you saying this new CD release is better than the 1987 Geffen CD?

Anyone listen to the 30th anniversary LP? Thoughts? Is the LP just cut from the same digital files?

John Bliss likes this.
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I don't think anybody's saying that, and the UK EMI CD is a little better than the Geffen.

18. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

This.
    THAT being said, the boxset is still a must-own.

Curveboy likes this.
  19. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons Well-Known Member

Anyone listen to the LP? Any comments?

John Bliss likes this.
  20. Psychedelic Good Trip

21. Psychedelic Good Trip

22. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

These random guys unboxing things really get on my nerves. What he said and showed in that 7 minutes could've been done in 2 easily.

Anthrax, Further, John Bliss and 3 others like this.
  23. Psychedelic Good Trip

Your right. :D

24. The 20th Anniversary Edition of this album that was released in 2007 was compressed to death, however, this new 30th Anniversary Edition is completely different and retains much more dynamic range than the 20th Anniversary Edition did. I wish I'd never bought the previous reissue now after hearing this. Not also that, but this comes with a 1987/88 concert recorded during the tour for this album that is previously unreleased.

The previous reissue just came with some live tracks that were already available on a separate live album.

Purple and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Anyone else got the vinyl? Deadwax info? I'm wondering who mastered this and where it was pressed. Ian Sefchick has been doing a lot of the Rhino stuff recently, most very well done.