Peter Gabriel "UP" sacd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Carl Hoffmann, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl Hoffmann

Carl Hoffmann Senior Member Thread Starter

I was all set to finally purchase this title until i came across a number of past threads regarding the good old Crest Cracker problem with the manufacturing of this disc. Should I still be concerned, 3 plus years since this title was originally released, that i will land a defective disc? Did they repress this title? Is there a way for me to tell if it's Crest made when i receive the disc?

2. easyge

easyge Senior Member

Carl,

I would just take a chance with it. This title is going out of print, so I would buy it while you can. BTW: Mine has a crack on it, not a bad one, but it is there. :sigh: I do not see any Crest info on mine, on neither the back inlay or on the disc. Unless you can find the import, I would just pick one up.

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I had a Crest cracker but replaced it with another copy and have yet to see any cracks.

Go buy this SACD now. The 5.1 mixes are brilliant.

4. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

Find it and buy it while you can. :cool:

:righton:

5. World of Genesis

World of Genesis Active Member

You can always buy the UK import and avoid any future concerns!

Dave

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

what he said. :righton: THere are some nice surprises in the mix

7. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I bought the import. No Crest, no cracks. Great disc.

8. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Btw this title's not out of print as of yet[just bought a copy today].

9. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Which reminds me ... in case you haven't heard Up on CD yet, whatever you do, don't turn up the volume at the beginning. ;)

10. filper

filper Forum Resident

For anyone looking, there was a copy on the shelf at Oakville, ON Best Buy last Tuesday.

The copy I bought a month ago from there doesn't seem to have any issues.

11. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

It's readily available here in Vancouver. Maybe it's time to pick up a copy before that changes.

I have yet to encounter a cracked SACD and I'm up over 100, including all the Audio Fidelity's which were supposedly prone to this.

12. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Except that those are hybrids. One thing I learned from the laserdisc format is that if glue is involved in the manufacturing process then there is a possibility of laser rot.

I thought I had most of the single layer Peter Gabriel SACDs but now I can only find "3" and two copies of "Up". That's annoying. Now I'll have to pay the big bucks to get the others. I especially want "1" and don't see it on-line for anything less than $40+.

These were plentiful at Best Buy until around 6 mos. ago when the SACD section disappeared. And no, they didn't put them in with the regular CDs. They are just gone.

13. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

There are plenty over here in australia... Are they really going out of print?

14. Claude

Claude Senior Member

15. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Mine's fine, UK version, hybrid, no cracking, absolutely wonderful 5.1 mix, and, like Raf says, don't crank the volume at the beginning, whatever you do.

16. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Just in the USA they're probably out of print. I did get 3 used ones today for about $6 each including "3" (which I already have), Shaking The Tree, and Plays Live. I also saw Birdy but I passed on it.

17. filper

filper Forum Resident

There is a bunch of PG's SACD's collecting dust at my local BB.

I have 'Up'. What else should I look for ?

18. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Just buy them all. Well, I don't know about Birdy. Anyone heard Birdy?

19. Dave D

Dave D Done!

The rest are stereo single layers. I have "Melt" (3) and Security. I don't hear any HUGE improvement over the cd's to be honest.

20. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

The Shaking The Tree SACD I'm playing right now sounds extremely good. Although I don't have the CD to compare it to I can't imagine it sounding like this.

Never did buy any of the CDs.

21. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Bought a used UP today, says Crest National on the disk but no cracks.

The FYE kids put this in a standard case though, crunching up the top/bottom labels. I'd rather they just leave it in a SACD case, broken or not.

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

How does one identify a Crest disc? I remember this mess with DSOTM. Just looked at my Up sacd, which I haven't played in probably 2 years. I think I see tiny cracks in the plastic ring, but I'm not sure. I might wanna buy another copy of this just to keep in reserve. Where would I buy to be assured a non-Crest disc?

23. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Yeah, I want to know too. I picked mine up when it was first released and I see cracks.

24. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

Please remember this bit of important information.

25. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

bump on how to identify the Crest disk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.