Tarantino - Pick Just One

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rjp, Nov 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

Just one.......and only the films he directed.

alexpop likes this.
  2. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I went inglorious bastards. Lt. Aldo...my favorite Brad Pitt part.

Lownote30 and hbbfam like this.
  3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I picked Pulp Fiction, but I like Django just as much.

Dr. Bogenbroom and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I think Pulp Fiction sums up his 'oeuvre' best and is the most entertaining.

I have not seen the 1st and 4th films on your list though. I like all the rest a great deal except Jackie Brown which I find quite boring.

5. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Best overall: Jackie Brown
    Most innovative: Pulp Fiction
    Most fun: Kill Bill
    Least innovative: Django Unchained
    Worst written: Deathproof

alexpop, Ghostworld and apesfan like this.
  6. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Pulp Fiction is my pick and to me it's pretty much his only great film. I think Reservoir Dogs is a close 2nd but that one feels like a test run for what became Pulp Fiction.

The rest of his movies to me are not even close. They all have scenes that are excellent but as a whole movie they end up failing at some point. I think Kill Bill maybe could have been better if it was more concise and less indulgent. Think of the economy of Pulp Fiction... every scene is lean and purposeful. That totally went out the window in his movie making afterwards.

Ghostworld and Lightworker like this.
  7. Lightworker

Have you seen Jackie Brown? That's the one that I never get tired of...

8. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Yes. Here are my problems with that film:
    1. It's personal. I was very excited to see that movie. It came out on the only Christmas in my life that I spent alone living in my friend's apartment in Cambridge. But I was just completely jazzed to see it. It was my entire Christmas (except the Chinese food I ate that night). And maybe my expectations were too high... but I was profoundly disappointed by the time the lights went on.

2. It contains some great performances by great actors but it seems like it doesn't know what to do with them. Or rather it has things it needs to do with them plot-wise but then gives them a bunch of other crap to do too which to me makes each character completely unfocused or under realized.

3. Plot vs. Style. To me you can either have a plot heavy movie or a style heavy movie but if you try both it is too overwhelming. So to me the need to move the plot along restricts the choices Tarantino can make for the characters but at the same time the style is so heavy that it can make the plot more confusing than it is.

I am certainly in the minority among my friends on this movie though. Most people love it.

Lightworker likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Watched Kill Bill (1-2) the other day.
    And I thought The Hateful Eight was much better ( never a dull moment ).:laugh:

10. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

"Zed's dead, baby"

Gotta go with Pulp Fiction. It bounces around among different storylines and timelines, but it's never confusing.

Awesome casting, and I love the sleazy, "underbelly-of-L.A." look of the movie. The sequence where Vincent takes out Mia is great.

11. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Hateful Eight.

Scope J likes this.
  12. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Best opener: Inglorious Bastards. So much tension, such a great way to set up the villan, just iconic.

13. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Had to go with Pulp, but Reservoir Dogs, Bastards, and Django Unchained are all up there on the same level. The rest are just a step below but still great (not including the first one, four rooms, or Death Proof).

14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Pulp Fiction is definitely his best film, but the film I watch the most, whenever I come across it on TV and I never tire of it, is Kill Bill. I'd choose both one and two if possible, but since I can't I'll go with two.

I love Kurt Russell and watched "Death Proof" only because he's in it. But there's way too much chit chat. I fast forward through two of those scenes every time. Yes, I know he writes witty dialogue, but this sucks.

Speaking of Kurt, I sat through that disgusting abomination "Hateful Eight" just for him, but it was garbage. Let's see how many bodily fluids we can coat this woman in before we hang her. Poor Bruce Dern dragged into this atrocity. Boo! Hiss!

Inglorious Bastards was almost great. If it could be re-edited it might be his finest hour. But too many times he has to interrupt things to remind us he's Quentin Tarantino.

Reservoir Dogs is a great film. I like that one a lot. But I'll still go renegade and vote for KB2.

Ghostworld likes this.
  15. I went with Jackie Brown. Great material to work with from Elmore James and an excellent cast (natch!). A great soundtrack and strong performances. It does drag a bit in places, but I forgive it for that because it has so much going for it. Pulp Fiction is probably a better film -certainly breaks new ground in story telling, but I just enjoy Jackie Brown more.

16. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

my fav is Reservoir Dogs, it's not his best, but it's my fav, so edgy and yearning...

garrincha, Lightworker and Simon A like this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Inglorious bastards

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

loved it...actually the entire list is my favorite!

Lightworker likes this.
  19. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Easily Pulp Fiction. I like almost all of his films that I have seen, but there is a pretty wide margin between Pulp Fiction and my runner up The Hateful Eight.

20. alexpop

Tim Roth's amazing in Reservoir Dogs.

Lownote30 and Instant Dharma like this.
  21. alexpop

Four Rooms he shared the directors seat with three other directors.
    Pretty boring film i thought.

22. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Inglorious Bastards, Brad Pitt nails it

Lownote30 likes this.
  23. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Assuming the question is, Tarantino's best work? It's really a tough call but Pulp Fiction.

Jackie Brown is probably right behind PF.
    Reservoir Dogs was close but too close to PF. Inglorious Bastards would have made it if it had been tightened up.
    Kill Bill 1/2 is good and I see it as one movie split by an intermission.

Everything else falls well short of those five.

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

i purposely left this poll in ambiguity.

too many best, worst, favorite, most-liked, least-liked threads out there.

let the voter decide what the question is and answer accordingly.

enjoy.

Malina and Kyhl like this.
  25. Lightworker

First two-thirds of Basterds was prime QT film-making. The third act was a real head-scratcher for me. It
    felt like a different (and much dumbed-down) film entirely.

Lonesurf and alexpop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.