Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'll have a listen later. I actually don't mind Bryan Ferry's cover of it.

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That’s what I was getting at. They probably started on something, a laAlbert Hall and then swing into EMH.

Maggie likes this.
  3. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

Where are all of these quotes from? They’re fascinating.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

They are all from So You Want To Be A Rock and Roll Star, The Byrds Day By Day 1965-1973 , by Christopher Hyort.

I highly recommend it.

Hep Alien, JoshM, Maggie and 2 others like this.
  5. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

This is not a great copy of this show, but yeah, I've always loved this concert for what this band could've been. But it was 1978 and they had signed with RSO who were on top of the musical world with The Bee Gees so it's off to Florida and discoland! Have you seen the video of this tour? The band doesn't exactly excite onstage, they're rather limp, but the music is great.

zobalob likes this.
  6. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Well, on the other hand, he still had to work with those guys -- even if they were employees. McGuinn is not a confrontational guy, and seems like exactly the sort of person who would go with the flow in the group--Parsons, White, and even Battin working much more closely with one another, and with much more sympathy, than any of them worked with McGuinn--and then just quietly resent them all for it.

zobalob and Clarkophile like this.
  7. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Yes, but it's the only document of the early MCH before the change of direction that occurred in Miami that exists on YouTube and can be linked to. I have a better copy and also somewhere a good copy of the Adelaide gig that includes the video of 4 songs IIRC.

8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Wow! Thanks. The first Gene tune sounds a lot like R.E.M. Obviously McGuinn's sound influenced Pete Buck, but now I am thinking maybe Gene influenced Stipe's vocals.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  9. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

That was my initial thought on first hearing REM back in the day; the classic Byrds lineup's influence, the chiming guitar, the Gene like vocal delivery. I don't know about Stipe being "influenced" as such, it's maybe just that they had similar singing voices, it's possible though.

CCrider92 likes this.
  10. Bop789

Bop789 Well-Known Member

11. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Oh god that cover looks familiar. I think I may have bought that back when it came out, back before I knew anything about the Byrds and back before I had easy access to the internet to check these sorts of things. Anyway, if it's the cd I think it is then it's simply not the Byrds' music on it - whether it features anybody with any sort of link to the band I couldn't tell you, but avoid at all costs. Have no idea what the review of the 1990 boxset on that Amazon listing is all about though.

12. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Hard to say without a tracklist, but I think this is a very grey-market release, and the recordings are not The Byrds, let alone the lineup in the cover photo. It might be the Michael Clarke-led incarnation from the 80s on this songs.

Yup, here's the back-side tracklist. Everything after track seven, bar 'He Was A Friend Of Mine' is unequivocally NOT The Byrds.

[​IMG]

13. Raoul V.

Raoul V. Well-Known Member

It's the "fake" Byrds from the 80s/90s. NO ex-Byrd in this group. Not even Michael Clarke. It's a guy called Danny McCullogh (previously from the second batch of Animals) and some studio musicians pretending to be The Byrds. 'You Ain't Going Nowhere' and "It Won't Be wrong' aren't even the songs we're familiar with but completely different songs. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

pablo fanques likes this.
  14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I remember buying it when it was released. I didn't know anything about it except it was a Byrds album. It was a surprise when I gave it the first listen. I always loved the county rock groups. Pure Prairie League's first few albums still get played a lot. I think the Burrito Brothers and Parson ' s solo albums carry on where Sweetheart left off. I'm listening to the Sundazed double LP of the Byrds Columbia singles in mono. It's a great collection.

15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I lived in Athens, GA. 1978-90 and saw R.E.M. in their first public appearance. At that point the Byrds influence was not as clear as it became by the time they started recording. Until now I had never made a specific connection between Gene's vocals & Stipe's. By the way, I saw McGuinn play a solo set at a very small club in Athens, just him & the electric 12-string. He then brought out R.E.M. without Stipe to back him in an encore set. Obviously they were confined to tunes that the R.E.M. guys knew, so they mostly repeated songs Roger had already done in his solo set. An odd occasion, maybe an ironic contrast to "So You Want To Be A Rock 'n' Roll Star", a song R.E.M. sometimes did as an encore.

16. Raoul V.

Raoul V. Well-Known Member

Is it this concert?

[​IMG]

Roger McGuinn & The Southern Gentlemen - R.E.M.iniscing The Byrds

Uptown Lounge, GA – May 11, 1988

Roger McGuinn (guitar, vocals)

With members of R.E.M.:

Peter Buck (guitar, vocals)
    Mike Mills (bass, vocals)
    Bill Berry (drums, vocals)

1. Roger McGuinn - My Back Pages (2:44)
    2. Roger McGuinn - You Showed Me (2:48)
    3. Roger McGuinn - Don't You Write Her Off (2:49)
    4. Roger McGuinn - 5D (2:58)
    5. Roger McGuinn - Ballad Of Easy Rider (3:55)
    6. Roger McGuinn - It's All Right Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) (2:34)
    7. Roger McGuinn - American Girl (3:45)
    8. Roger McGuinn - Sunshine Love (2:24)
    9. Roger McGuinn - The Tears (3:21)
    10. Roger McGuinn - Chestnut Mare (5:20)
    11. Roger McGuinn - Tiffany Queen 2 (2:36)
    12. Roger McGuinn & R.E.M. - You Ain't Going Nowhere (3:14)
    13. Roger McGuinn & R.E.M. - Mr Spaceman (2:55)
    14. Roger McGuinn & R.E.M. - Bells Of Rhymney (3:38)
    15. Roger McGuinn & R.E.M. - Mr Tambourine Man (2:44)
    16. Roger McGuinn & R.E.M. - Turn Turn Turn (3:46)
    17. Roger McGuinn & R.E.M. - Eight Miles High (5:13)
    18. Roger McGuinn & R.E.M. - So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Star (4:03)
    19. Roger McGuinn & R.E.M. - Knockin' On Heaven's Door (5:19)
    20. Roger McGuinn & R.E.M. - I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better (2:59)

17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I believe that was the club & the date seems reasonable. The set list doesn't match my memory, but maybe McGuinn played some of the songs twice but the solo versions weren't included. Given the length of the program, I guess not more than a couple could have been repeated. Or maybe my memory is just faulty. An aspect of the show (it was in a small club & I wouldn't call it a concert) that irritated me was all the sorority girls who had come on the strength of a rumor that R.E.M. might be there. They talked all the way through the solo set. They applauded when the R.E.M. members came out & then talked (more loudly) through the band set. Why pay money to hear music & then have to yell your gossip to each other?

18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I wonder if this arrangement is closer to what Gene might have orginally imagined for 8 Miles High

Hep Alien, vanhooserd and CCrider92 like this.
  19. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Thanks! Very nice!

20. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Gene presented the song to the Byrds in the same way he would perform it during his solo shows in the '80s: as a slow, dark ballad.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  21. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Yes, I think, as @Clarkophile suggests, the closest to a template for "Eight Miles High" as conceived by Gene for the Byrds is probably "Here Without You" or perhaps "I Knew I'd Want You."

indigo_m, Clarkophile and zobalob like this.
  22. Clarkophile

In one of the earlier parts of this thread I posted Gene’s introduction to the song, as performed during his October 1988 tour:

"For this last song I'd like to do a song called 'Eight Miles High'. And I would like to do it the way that I originally wrote it, mainly because I haven't got a band to do all the John Coltrane licks and stuff like that. But the song was originally presented in this form."

As an aside, if you get a chance to hear anything from Gene’s Oct ‘88 shows, you’ll see that he was in top form at every show, playing and singing with great intensity. The Mountain Stage Show was recorded during that set of appearances.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Chris M, Hep Alien, pobbard and 3 others like this.
  23. Clarkophile

Btw, nice new version of Gene’s ‘Echoes’ by UK artist Sands:
    Echoes

24. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Yes!! Have a listen:
    Echoes, by Sands

zobalob likes this.
  25. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Chris Hillman - The Asylum Years coming out February of 2018.

Hep Alien and milankey like this.