Calling all Discogs users - database needs your help rectifying a sabotage attempt

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by eddiel, Nov 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi All

Just thought I'd put the word out in case any users can help out.

Please go to this thread:
    Discogs Forum - ASSAULT ON THE DATABASE

A former banned very disgruntled user spent quite a few hours sabotaging several entries across several bands. He created fake master releases (MRs) added different albums to them. Added a bunch of nonsense notes, etc

It's quite a mess. Zeppelin and The Beatles were heavily hit but so were many others.

Everyone is pitching in trying to fix things. The slow down is that the fake MRs need to be deleted but users can only delete on MR per 24 hour period.

If anyone can help out please have a look at the above thread I linked to and click on any MRs people are listing to be deleted. It's a fairly easy process.

GentleSenator likes this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Seems to me that Discogs--who makes millions--should pay some people to do this. Discogs isn't an open source charity.

George P likes this.
  3. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Wow that really sucks. Risks of open databases I guess.

4. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i noticed this over the last couple days. tons of notification e-mails about bizarre changes to stuff i've contributed to or i'm selling.

Dave likes this.
  5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

it's easy to have that sentiment, but i think you forget/may not realize that discogs relies on community contributions just like say wikipedia. many of us here find discogs to be an invaluable resource that's always growing.

discogs in return has a marketplace that charges no fees to use beyond a commission on the sale.

Dave and eddiel like this.
  6. eddiel

That's how I noticed. It all seemed a bit weird so I had a look in the Database forum and noticed a thread about it.

GentleSenator likes this.
  7. eddiel

Polite notice...Please do not turn this into a thread about Discogs (good or bad) or who should be doing the work.

If you are a member of Discogs and would like to help, then please do so, if not, then that's fine, but please move on. I don't want this thread to turn into an argument.

Thank you.

8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Looks like everyone is getting it under control, thankfully!

eddiel likes this.
  9. eddiel

Yeah it is. I think it's mostly done now. One delay was that people can only delete 1 MR per 24 period so they lifted that restriction for people who had voting privileges.

Now what to do to avoid this in the future?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.