Ho Ho Ho! - Upcoming Holiday / Christmas releases?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nathan Aaron, Aug 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Thanks!

Johnny Reb likes this.
  2. jmobrien68

I think it's listed under the category of being released on RSD... not a RSD exclusive.

3. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

And with a Barrence Whitfield and the Savages Christmas tune? I'm in!

linclink and Dan C like this.
  4. jmobrien68

I'll tell you why I love these RGM releases apart from the fact that I love the music... they are not brickwalled.

5. So ... almost one year on - did you make it over 700 yet?

Best Wishes,
    David

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  6. Charlie Z.

Charlie Z. Forum Resident

I am usually not a fan of bonus tracks tacked onto a reissue of an original album, but in this case, I feel they are a nice addition. I too have a 1st US pressing and the original Cd as well, plus the original mono LP recording. Don't let the bonus tracks keep you from this great release.

7. hagcel

hagcel Forum Resident

I ordered the new Sinatra double album from amazon and it sounds great. A nice, flat pressing. I hadn’t heard many of the songs on the 2nd lp before.

I ordered dean martins A Winter Romance at the same time but sent that back to amazon today. Very noisy, pops, skips etc. new one arriving Wednesday.

Bob F and Christopher B like this.
  8. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

I saw the Dean Martin LP at Barnes and Noble...will go back and pick it up. Is that an original release or a comp taken from different albums ?

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

phish likes this.
  10. phish

phish Jack Your Body

11. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I am in total agreement with Charlie Z on this issue regarding this masterpiece by Percy Faith, Music Of Christmas. Firstly, you are getting an absolutely beautiful remaster by Vic Anesini who we all know from his great work on Elvis Presley's catalogue the last dozen or so years, he's a stickler for getting that warm vinyl sound on his remasters. Secondly, the original front cover artwork is replicated in spot on detail with the great Stereo Fidelity Columbia Eye logo running atop the CD and a great carryover to the back cover. Thirdly, while I am also sometimes less than thrilled with the idea of bonus songs on such an iconic release, these bonus songs come at the end. Most, but not all, are songs recorded by Percy around the same late 50's to early 60's time frame, and they are quite beautiful in and of themselves. How can one not like including Percy's stunning version of Toyland, March Of The Toys and My Favorite Things as bonus tracks. The additional four songs with these three magnificent ones make the CD run for almost an even hour. Sheer Bliss, if you ask me!

PhantomStranger, Benno123 and Simon A like this.
  12. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

While it's not a make or break issue with me, I just preferred that they not include the bonus tracks. If the album is, as you say, a "masterpiece", then it doesn't need bonus material. I also don't think the merits of the artwork has anything to do with the inclusion of bonus tracks. And, the quality of the bonus tracks, while I agree are excellent, don't sway me either. I'm just viewing the album from a purist point of view, and this is one release where I would've left it as original as possible. Actually, I'm surprised that Acuri agreed with the bonus tracks idea, as much as he has praised the album over the years. I mean, how could you possibly improve on perfection? But, I guess it's a matter of opinion, and I certainly understand and respect the bonus tracks point of view.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Simon A likes this.
  13. jmobrien68

As of this morning I'm at 730 but I'm going out at lunch to look for some more. I've hit a saturation point so I'm a bit more picky about what I grab.

adriatikfan and Simon A like this.
  14. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Good hunting!

15. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I salute your endeavours, but...how do you decide which to listen to in the 30-ish days of acceptable playing time?

16. jmobrien68

I start listening around election day (just on my own, I don't go balls out until the day before Thanksgiving). Every year I have certain go to albums that I always listen to, a bunch that I discover (new) or rediscover (from the 'archives' or that I stumble across in used bins, amazon, discogs, ebay) and the vast majority just sit and wait to be noticed one day.
    BTW, my Christmas vinyl count is at 719 but I have a small stack that I've picked up in the off season that I haven't logged in and a rubbermaid that's about 3/4 full of albums that need to be cleaned before I add them to the list.
    I keep track of all my Christmas music with Microsoft Access databases that I can open from my google drive on my phone so I can make sure I don't buy stuff that I already have.

Johnny Reb, Simon A and adriatikfan like this.
  17. Impressive.

Stand-out albums? Most bizarre? Any pictures please?

Best Wishes,
    David

18. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Well, since Simon said he loved the album and I assume you do as well, but perhaps not as much as I, the inclusion of the bonus tracks may override all other positive factors about the album that I wanted to point out to both you and Simon if you were unsure whether to purchase it or not; Great remastering by Vic; Beautiful artwork, bonus songs that do match the mood and musicality of the original album. I know from talking to Chip that these albums sell exponentially better when they include bonus songs on them and Real Gone is not a charity organization, but a record company and considering that this album has been available in one format or another without interruption for almost 60 years, including that terrible 80s remaster on CD, we are all fortunate that Real Gone got the copyright to put it out again with a phenomenal remaster, regardless of how one feels about the bonus songs one way or the other.

19. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

You sold me on this and I'll place an order for it along with the Frank De Vol which I didn't get last year but which I also love. These two albums are actually the very first ones I've heard as a wee boy, along with Buddy Cole's Pipes And Chimes Of Christmas and Al Hirt's The Sound Of Christmas, so they all have a special meaning to me. They're actually part of my DNA. Like jmobrien68, I have hundreds of Christmas and Holiday albums but I often back come to these four. I cannot wait to hear the new remaster.

RSteven likes this.
  20. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I can tell you for sure Simon you will not regret getting the Percy CD, it damn near brought a tear to my eye when I first played it. I then got out the old 80' remaster and played a couple of songs, and my God is what like opening up a door and than closing it. One sounded like it was coming from a well and the other was wide open and full stereo. You have great taste in your Christmas music as that Frank De Vol album is one of my all time favorites as well, right up there with Percy in my opinion, and it has a great remaster as well by Vic's associate, Maria Triana at Battery Studios, who does awesome remastering work as well. I love Al Hirt's album as well, but I am not familiar with Buddy Cole's Pipes And Chimes Of Christmas album, sounds just like my cup of tea and I will try to get that one. Is it available on CD? Is it anything like A Christmas Sound Spectacular by John Klein, which is also one of my favorite albums of all time as well? Hoping to see a remaster of that baby one day as well.

Simon A likes this.
  21. hagcel

hagcel Forum Resident

Figured I’d update my Winter Romance return to amazon. Got the replacement today and it’s much better. Such a fantastic album.

Certainly a perk of ordering vinyl from amazon is totally no hassle returns and if you have prime you get your replacement copy in a day or 2, even if they haven’t received your return copy yet.

It’s only happened once but when I went to do a return they didn’t even want the original copy back...

I wonder what amazon does with their returned vinyl?

Christopher B and RSteven like this.
  22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I just got my first version of Dean's original incarnation of Winter Romance a few months ago when I bought that 1989 Capital CD that was remastered from the original three track tape. Wow, the sound really blew me away and it has that extra chatter with Dean joking about the need to hurry up and finish recording Baby Its Cold Outside as he has something else to get to later. Great stuff that breaks up the whole gang in the studio. Another album that's worth having just for that iconic cover. Boy that cover must have been provocative for the time, but Mr. Cool could get away with almost anything given his sly humor. No one ever sang Let It Snow better than Dino!

Benno123, Christopher B and Simon A like this.
  23. jmobrien68

Butch Walker has some holiday music out for 2017.
    Glad I was able to get a vinyl copy from his website before they sold out. Only pressed 1000 copies.
    Of course, you can find them popping up on e-bay already.
    [​IMG]

keef00 likes this.
  24. jmobrien68

Stand out?
    Such a hard question to answer.
    I spent the weekend getting the Christmas LPs out and just sitting and looking through Christmas album covers really puts me in the spirit.

Most bizarre?
    I don't know... if one strikes me I'll revisit.

If you want to see some pictures, you can check out my instagram account where I share what I'm listening too (as well as some dog pictures). You can scroll and find some pictures from Christmas past and shortly I'll be sharing music from this holiday season. Oh... I'm 'jmobrien68' on instagram.

25. jmobrien68

I was listening to my vinyl copy of 'A Winter Romance' last night. I never noticed it before but when I was flipping it over, on the bottom left side of the Capitol 'rainbow' label in small print it said it was a 'promo copy, not for sale'.

Simon A and RSteven like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.