Metallica - Master Of Puppets 2017 Remastered Deluxe edition announced*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nodeerforamonth, Aug 29, 2017.

1. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Never done this before so hopefully I did it right. I extracted the audio from just the MoP Remastered CD, for now, using EAC, to WAV.

Used TT DR Meter and got the following:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed folder: M:\Music\FLAC & HiRez\Metallica - Master of Puppets [2017 Remaster]\WAV\
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR9 over -10.45 dB 06 Leper Messiah (Remastered) - METALLICA.wav
    DR9 over -11.23 dB 07 Orion (Remastered) - METALLICA.wav
    DR10 over -12.09 dB 08 Damage, Inc. (Remastered) - METALLICA.wav
    DR10 -0.08 dB -11.14 dB 01 Battery (Remastered) - METALLICA.wav
    DR9 -0.46 dB -11.18 dB 02 Master of Puppets (Remastered) - METALLICA.wav
    DR10 over -11.66 dB 03 The Thing That Should Not Be (Remastered) - METALLICA.wav
    DR9 over -11.01 dB 04 Welcome Home (Sanitarium) (Remastered) - METALLICA.wav
    DR9 over -10.20 dB 05 Disposable Heroes (Remastered) - METALLICA.wav

Number of files: 8
    Official DR value: DR9

==============================================================================================

Dino, Merrick and Chauncey like this.
  2. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Good to hear the bass is present. If you are inclined, you can easily rip them and use a free program to crank the volume a few dbs and add compression to get the best of both worlds.

3. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Is that the 24/96 ? DR range on it higher than I would have hoped for.

Edit I see you mentioned CD. Looks good I might have to get the 3cd and LP now.

toddrhodes likes this.
  4. toddrhodes

Yea, I haven't listened to the CD yet. The LP version is growing on me. Just really well-balanced mastering. Damage, Inc. is the one that stuck out to me in that respect. Depending on the version, that track can want to tear your ears out when the guitars cut in but on this - they're mixed well but maybe not as in your face so the whole track kinda comes up a notch.

This is what I love about these releases though - nothing earth-shattering, but clearly there are some differences. Really, really liked Orion as well - the middle bass solo is as tangible as on the best versions (DCC and MFN 45 RPM) and that is, at least in my room, not an easy feat to accomplish.

Clanceman and Opeth like this.
  5. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Thank you so much!

6. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

As far as I can recall and hear currently on the DCC version of MOP, Lars never really had a “walloping” bass drum sound when he recorded - it was more “clicky” and muted to my ears.

7. toddrhodes

It's all relative, though. Comparing the original US Elektra and the MFN 45 RPM which, to me, have the "thickest" kick drum sound, they do exceed what this remaster does but that's not necessarily a knock on the reissue, just my immediate reaction. And yes, Lars' drums, especially his later kits seem "clicky" to me as well. And what's this about ears? I'm using my chest ;)

Cooks420 likes this.
  8. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Certain parts of MoP have huge kick drum wallop. Pretty much any section of music that's quieter or not as crazy taking up all midrange. There's some good clean dynamic parts of this album. I want to hear the new lp just to hear that incredible bass growl in the mix in MoP and of course Orion.

toddrhodes likes this.
  9. pettyyttep

pettyyttep Well-Known Member

Is that good boxset?
    Has anybody here done comparison between original, 2x45rpm (1987), 1989, 2004, 2008 or the new remastered reissues?
    Sorry to ask here, but as Im new to the forums I would like to find definitive comparison between all the possible Metallica vinyl-releases.
    Thanks.

10. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Cooks420 and FourWalledWorld like this.
  11. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

DR numbers on the CD look decent but looks like it has clipped peak/s on most tracks (over).

12. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

Technically there is, because it would allow a better bitrate and less video compression. That's the whole point of the SD-Blu Ray line from Eagle Rock, for instance.

13. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Question: assuming a video is shot on tape and is five minutes long, wouldn’t it look the same on DVD or BR simply because the length and source material allow for the least amount of compression on both formats?

14. panicproject

panicproject VinylVinylVinylVinyl

I would have thought if something was VHS sourced it would stay the same quality whether it was on VHS, DVD or Blu-ray. A bit like converting an MP3 to a 24bit wav and saying it is now Hi-Res, which would be pointless. If this not the case then I stand corrected.

15. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Can we buy the Osaka cassette separately if we bought the box set somewhere else?

16. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I don't know the exact details, but the text I posted earlier (taken from Metallica's facebook-page) says the following:
    We’re just a few days away from the release of the remastered "Master of Puppets" album and deluxe box set! Support your local indie music stores on November 10th - purchase the "Master of Puppets" remaster and receive a special throw-back gift of "Live at Festival Hall, Osaka Japan – November 18th, 1986" on cassette. Quantities are very limited and are only available at independent retail stores in the U.S. and the U.K. (At participating stores, while they last.)

Metallica - Master Of Puppets 2017 Remastered Deluxe edition announced*

17. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Sounds like I could buy the single CD remaster and get the cassette.

Thanks!

18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

No problem at all, you're welcome. Happily helping here.
    Let us know here if you happen to get the cassette, or if anybody else here does. It's surely very limited and desired addition to the boxset.
    I will get my mammoth boxset on friday and looking forward to hearing the remaster, bonuses and etc.

19. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

For the vinyl, what was the cutting source? Was it ever confirmed Hi Res? I think we know that it isn't all analog (too bad!) for sure but do we have any confirmation at all? Thanks!

20. toddrhodes

Finally getting to listen to the remastered CD - it's not bad at all. It's definitely loud but still has a lot of punch and detail to it. Doesn't "feel" as dynamic as the vinyl but it's not necessarily just a brickwalled mess, at least not on the title track I'm listening to now.

Edit - fired up the DCC to compare. Again, the remaster is good. The DCC is excellent. So, DCC wins this one handily, IMO.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Cooks420 likes this.
  21. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I wonder why people like the DCC so much, isn't the DR for that a 9 or something? I have heard other reviews from people that didn't like it, but many do.

Edit: My original first from MFN UK CD is a 13dr and sounds incredible to me. I'm curious to compare that with the remaster CD and vinyl.

22. toddrhodes

Roon (which has an odd way of displaying DR in the first place) lists the DCC as a 6, lol. Still, the tone (and here's where words come out that make sense to me but are hard to explain) and "effortlessness" of the DCC are what stand out to me. It's big, loud, and full without trying to sound as such. I would say the remaster "tries" to sound bigger than it is but not by much. Just little hints here and there that maybe it was pushed just a little too far in places. Still, a very good remaster IMO, relative to more recent stuff from this album. I'll have to try and hunt down that UK MFN!

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  23. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Blu-ray can contain standard def video without upscaling it to HD. It can have a much higher bitrate so it's not as compressed as DVD. And audio would be lossless. DVD audio can be lossless as well, but then it takes up more bitrate which could've gone to the video. There's nothing fake about putting standard def material on blu-ray unless it's been upscaled to HD or if it's been sourced from something already encoded for DVD. Putting VHS sourced material on blu-ray vs DVD will allow for better quality because of less compression. VHS is generally noisy and handheld camera work creates a lot of motion, so these could've benefitted from being on blu-ray. Especially if the DVDs are much over an hour.

24. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

It is but is sounds pretty darn good nevertheless. The first issue CD or LP could be better but I can't be bothered to compare.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Hmm...I can't imagine why people here would be partial to it.