SONY UBP-X800 universal player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by High Fidelity, Mar 23, 2017.

1. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

2. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Great advice, and that's why I'm thinking of getting it. I don't even have a 4K set yet, but my current BD player (Sony S790) is getting a bit long in the tooth, it's a little slow in opening apps, and in fact Sony no longer supports the Netflix app version on it. At this price, it's a good idea to future-proof my disc player.

EddieVanHalen likes this.
  3. dougotte

That must have been a lightning Amazon deal, because it's gone now. However, I ordered a new one from an Amazon seller for $178.00. Still a good deal...

bradman likes this.
  4. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

One piece of advice: unless you have a non-HDR 4K set (aka SDR 4K), buy this player at this price ASAP. Short "why": realiability and quality. Long "why": it's very well made, it looks great with 4K HDR material, it's extremely reliable, at least mine has been since I got it over 6 months ago, it plays almost everything, the only file it hasn't played so far has been MKV files with Dolby TrueHD audio, but there's a way to overcome this by converting the MKV file to an m2ts file with TSMuxer, it's not actually a conversion but a change of container, it plays SACD and DVD-Audio and it does it well as some cheap player are not very hybrid SACD friendly (they can mistrack sometimes when playing the SACD/DSD layer, not very often, but they do, the Sony X-800 doesn't mistrack at all tested with over 20 hybrid SACDs), it plays HiRes files including Flac at 192/24 and DSD 64 and DSD 128, both Flac and DSD on stereo and even multichannel, ested by my as I have all my SACD's ripped into ISO's and then the DSD tracks extracted by ISO2DSD, that's how I play my SACD's these days. And the upsampling of non-HiRes signal to 88.2-96/24 which in my opinion makes CDs sound great, at least I like it.
    It's a good and solid player at a bargain price.
    Believe me when I tell you it's a good and reliable player, very well built (around a metal, I don't remember if it was aluminium or copper, frame which makes it weigh a lot for a today's player) and fast, and if you're using Wi-Fi instead of wire Lan it has a very good and fast Wi-Fi receiver that gives signal a good boost (it may be using the metal frame chasis as antenna). I find the Sony UBP X-800 very good at what it does, it's a very designed and made player.

bradman likes this.
  5. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

tootull likes this.
  6. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

tootull likes this.
  7. Have you tested SACD-Rs on the player? I would buy it for that alone.

8. Doc Diego

Doc Diego Forum Resident

Bought mine last week from Crutchfield and will call again for a price match rebate. Had to replace my ten year old plasma last week and picked up a 4K M series Vizio. So far the Sony looks and sounds great without any glitches or buggy behavior. Listening via the toslink since my Rotel processor lacks HDMI and it does not disappoint with SACD or DVD-A. Still fine tuning all the settings on the Vizio and Sony but very happy with the purchases.

9. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Yes, and they won't work. But if you have ISOs of SACDs you can play them on the X-800 after some little work. Get ISO2DSD which is a free program. This lets you do some things like extracting individual DSD tracks from an SACD ISO. The resulting DSD files will be played by an X-800 via USB, either stereo or multichannel. I find this more convenient than burning discs and playing them, actually and I have said before that's how I play my SACDs now. A friend of mine has an old PS3 and now a Pioneer multiformat player that plays SACDs which is used to do the ISOs from our SACDs. I go to his house to do the ISO everytime I get a new disc, take the ISO home, extract the DSD files and played them by USB, I ALWAYS play my SACDs like this, it's convinient, sounds exactely as the original SACD and I don't put additional wear out on the reading unit.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  10. dougotte

I was wrong. It was just out-of-stock for a while. Last night (and I checked again now), it's back in stock for $149.99. I cancelled my $178.00 order, and placed a $149.99 order.

Galley likes this.
  11. PNeski@aol.com

How can I solve the DSD problem ,is there a good cheap dac that I can set the sony to DSD ,and use the Digital out to???

12. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Cheap ? No !

mdm08033 likes this.
  13. PNeski@aol.com

TOPPING D30 DSD Audio Decoder USB Coaxial Optical Fiber XMOS CS4398 24Bit 192KHz have no idea ,but saw this on Amazon

14. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

If you want to play SACDs through DSD, you'll need a DAC with an HDMI port, and none are cheap.

15. PNeski@aol.com

forgot about that!!!!!! it will have to be next amp I buy

16. PNeski@aol.com

This works great ,but I am having trouble with HDMI cable and the Tv 's (a Sony 4K)
    When the second HDMI is plugged in to my amp
    A era message appears ,if I unplug the cord from the tv and plug it in ,it works again

17. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I don't have any issues with mine, but HDMI "handshake" issues are so prevalent that it's annoying we're stuck with this technology. It's definitely easier to connect one HDMI cable than a bunch of cables with RCA jacks on the ends, but the industry's desire to control content has definitely made HDMI less user friendly than it should be.

18. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I do not experience any HDMI "handshake" issues and find HDMI extremely user friendly.

19. Doc Diego

Doc Diego Forum Resident

You don’t say what kind of amp you’re plugging into.

20. PNeski@aol.com

Denon

21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

What's the model number? Have you used another HDMI cable to discount the possibility of a problem with the cable and not the amp?

22. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I picked this up while it was on sale at Best Buy, mostly because the return policy is until January sometime because they are in the holiday season. I don't have a 4k TV to hook this up to yet, or any TV where this is going for that matter. My older Pioneer 52FD is acting up so this will replace it for a SACD player for now. I need to hook it up to another TV to set it up though. Until earlier this week my stereo was all analog for inputs. I got myself a Integra 40.5 receiver so playing with that to see how to set things up. I was told that the Integra will pass the SACD via HDMI through without any conversion. Need to see how everything hooks up so I can finally ad a TV. I took my passive pre (super phone SP100) and my Adcom 500 out of the system for now. Running Martin Logan Theos speakers.

23. PNeski@aol.com

That's what I was thinking ,I got it on eBay ,said it was 4K ,it's not the amp

24. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

PhantomStranger likes this.
  25. PNeski@aol.com

thanks ,so far I think my cable is working now ,I turned off that Bravio setting,and it seems fine now,but if it happens again I will try that cable ,but 3 ft wont do it