Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Zombie

Zombie Forum Resident

I liked Book of Souls, but it suffers from what every Maiden album suffered from since Brave New World. Slow, drawn out intros, which build up to long drawn out songs. Brave New World was a refreshing sound back to familiar territory, but after that, there was too much Kevin Shirley happening. They need a new producer to break the monotony of their sound.

2. Zombie

Zombie Forum Resident

I think they were as a separate release, or part of a best of package. Maybe on Best of the Beast?

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Soundhouse was released on CD with the Eddie Vault box set. It was limited though to only a few thousand copies.

Frosst and Zoot Marimba like this.
  4. Zombie

Zombie Forum Resident

The only problem I have with them live nowadays, and the past few tours, which I can't really blame them for is the noticeable reduction in tempo of their songs. I think Nicko has some health issues which is probably why.

5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

What a lot of long time bands have: The Curse of the Aging Drummer. :shake:

6. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

How I Got Into Iron Maiden:
    I wish I had a better story. I remember hearing Piece of Mind at a friend's house when I was 13. Shockingly I was not a fan of Bruce's vocals at first, there must be something wrong with me. This was just before Powerslave was released. I got it (on cassette) and loved it. A few weeks later my best friend's Dad got us tickets to see them in January of 1985. I went with the two of them and his older sister, it was my first concert. At that point I was obsessed. My room was covered in posters, I scoured the magazines for info, the whole deal. In July of 1986 my best friend passed. I saw the SIT tour, but missed Seventh Son for a family vacation. I didn't see them again until X factor with Blaze (which was better than I expected) then a dry spell until Bruce came back in 1999. By that point I was working in the music business and got to meet and interview Bruce and Janick prior to the show. I attended the show with my best friend's older sister who was also a music journalist and had interviewed Bruce right before me. We sat together and cried during all the Powerslave era songs. I interviewed Bruce again before BNW came out and Adrian once by phone. Since then I've been to just about every NYC show and started taking my boys at age 8. They will always be my favorite band.

7. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

This is how I got into them, Top Of The Pops early 1980:

Got the 7", then the debut album when it appeared a couple of months later. First copies were at a 'special reduced price', with a sticker on the cover - either £2.49 or £2.99, I forget which, which kind of made it feel cheap & nasty, lol. Saw them live for the 1st time a month or so after the album came out. They certainly had an alluringly brutish charm back then, but I was much more into Priest, and a little later the mighty Diamond Head, by far the greatest NWOBHM band IMO, but Maiden, Leps and Saxon were ok as warm-up acts until DH assumed control, albeit briefly...

8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

How I Got Into Maiden:

I was eleven and my grandmother visited and gave me some money. I went to the local mall and having never heard or heard of Metallica I saw Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning And Master Of Puppets on vinyl in the window. I bought the cassettes based on those covers and as I was walking to the check out I saw Maiden's Somewhere In Time on vinyl and snatched it based on the cool album cover art. Took all four home and had my mind blown. Went back and got all of the prior Maiden albums after that.

9. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

How I got into Maiden: I became friends with a guy in my sophomore year of H.S. (1990) and he was a full on metal head. Hanging out at his house after school and listening to his music was an awakening to me. I grew up listening to my parents music (classic rock), which I still love of course as well as listening to contemporary music of the day but never metal. The first band he played that hooked me was Metallica and then Ozzy solo. I remember hearing Seventh Son and not being impressed. I asked him to "put on Puppets again." Then one day he was playing a mix tape of Maiden that consisted of songs from Beast, POM, and Powerslave and something about those songs together just clicked. I asked to borrow the tape so I could "dupe" it. Soon after I saved up enough money and I headed down to the local CD store (the Wherehouse) and purchased a few of their CDs. My friend didn't care for Di'Anno so when I asked for the S/T and Killers albums for my birthday later in the year, and got them, that just fueled my new obsession even more. The band's first new album after I became a fan was No Prayer for the Dying and I won a copy from the local metal radio station (KNAC). Then through the course of a few years time I bought the recently released First Ten Years singles as well as the rest of their albums from before. I preferred (and still do) the dialogue from the VHS release of Live After Death so my go to listening experience for that was my cassette tape that I made from the live video. Maxell XLII-S for the win, lol. I love this band! my first rock concert was seeing them at Long Beach Arena on the No Prayer tour in '91. Love the Paul albums, the Bruce ones and even the Blaze years although I wish they'd re record them with Bruce haha. Now... on to Prowler.

10. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Synopsis of Early Years:
    • The band was formed Christmas Day 1975 by bassist Steve Harris after he left his band Smiler.
    • The band went through many members in the early years. By 1979, they had gone through three singers, six or seven guitarists, four drummers, and a keyboard player.
    • On New Years Eve 1978, the band recorded a live performance that became The Soundhouse Tapes, of which only 5000 copies were made. As a result, these are highly valuable today.
    The Soundhouse Tapes
    Here we have the group's first release, an EP consisting of three songs that would be rerecorded for the s/t. At the time this was recorded, the lineup consisted of Harris, singer Paul Dianno, drummer Doug Sampson, and guitarists Dave Murray and Paul "Mad Mac" Cairns (the latter uncredited for his work). At the time, due to the punk movement, the band was struggling to get gigs, and they decided a demo would be the best way to remedy this problem was to record a demo, so they slammed down 5000 pounds or so, and this EP is what we got as a result.

Tracklist:
    1. Iron Maiden (4:01)
    2. Invasion (3:07)
    3. Prowler (4:20)

11. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

my Babysitter (my Mother's friend's son who was 15 to my 9 at the time) wore their shirts EVERY day. this was the Powerslave-SiT era.

He was always kind to me but didnt play the music for me much.

Fast forward a few years to 1989/1990 - my Mother had just gave into my begging to have Cable TV - watched Headbanger's Ball. A block of Maiden tunes was played - Aces High, Run To The Hills, 2 Minutes to Midnight. It seemed far and away, above and beyond, so much better than even the other metal bands that I liked a great deal.

Rode my bike to Music Plus, planned to buy Powerslave but it was sold out - so I bought Somewhere in Time on CD (longbox with the glorious cover art!), proceeded to listen to SiT at least once per day, and it now stands as my fave Maiden record (ever so slightly edging out Killers and Powerslave).

Gus Tomato, izombie73, Frosst and 5 others like this.
  12. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

Invasion is such a fun song. Its my favorite from The Soundhouse Tapes.

Pangolino likes this.
  13. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Iron Maiden, my precious one, the band that truly changed my life. My whole life is memories, moments attached somehow to Iron Maiden.
    Iron Maiden was there for me, every moment when I needed something to give me energy, better feeling but always present and so I was grabbed fully to their world, where I see now reason to exit at all.
    I don't even have clue actually of what to say about them, for first I will tell you something about how I discovered them.

Anyways, when I was in elementary school in mid-80's it must have been around spring 1985, I remember how some of the older boys had some cool band shirts and college sweatshirts. And some even had some backpatch on their denim jacket.
    One of the common feature had that scary looking fellow, Eddie. There were other common bands that were listened to and liked by me and the people I knew, but none of them had that everlasting effect as Maiden.
    I was already then mesmerized by the whole image, so then little later as went to the local shop, they had few Iron Maiden cassettes on sale, I picked up "Piece Of Mind" out of curiosity just to check it out what it truly was behind that image.
    Just as I got home I had to put the tape on, but seriously talking here, I can't remember too much of that moment and how it sounded to me as I first listened to it. It took time to fully develop, and I was anyways interested in many bands at that time.
    I think it was one of the best albums in my starting collection, but the final thing that clicked for me came few months later. When I saw the home-video of "Live After Death" little bit later, now that I was truly something spectacular for me.
    The whole show was great, full of energy, great guitars melodies and double-guitars, Harris and his famous rattling bass sound, Nicko providing steady beats, but the best bit was Bruce Dickinson.
    He was just so outstanding (eventhough his voice wasn't in top form on some of the mid to late 80's show, but I didn't know about it so much then yet) and no wonder he had that nick name "Air Raid Siren".
    Then I started to collect albums, I saved a lot of money from weekly allowance (not sure if it's the same as weekly money from parents?), so eventhough I was only school-boy back then, I had already bought all the albums on vinyl.
    Anyways, from that moment until today, I have been following Iron Maiden's doings, been collecting stuff (albums, singles, figurines, bootlegs, everything related really etc.) and I even got few tattoos. In fact Im gonna get new one pretty soon.
    So this text shall be as my little introduction and I will comment each song and release with you here.

Iron Maiden, thanks for being the greatest band in the world..
    Up The Irons!

EDIT: Just had to put Killers-album on in the background as I wrote these few lines..

@Musicman1998 great that you started this thread, it's about time we go through the wonderful catalogue of Maiden.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  14. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

I got into 'Maiden at school in the Sixth Form years (aged 17) and that was because my brother and a friend were going to go to the Clive Burr MS Gig at Brixton (around 2001 i think) and asked if wanted to come. I said yes, not knowing anything about them, but listened to a Best of the Beast CD he had. And then the love affair was made. Honestly, i wasnt really into music before that invite, and i've never looked back, Maiden was pretty much my gateway to finding music i actually enjoyed.

15. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

In honor of this thread, I am streaming all of my digital Iron Maiden from my NAS at home.

Frosst, SammyJoe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  16. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

My first band also played Wrathchild...horribly. The notes themselves aren't that difficult but getting it *right* is the hard part.

17. Cheevyjames

Strange World (outtake from the Soundhouse Tapes) and Iron Maiden were released on Best of the Beast as @Zombie said. The vinyl version had the remaining two tracks, Prowler and Invasion.

Jeff Kent and Zoot Marimba like this.
  18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

For me, it just seems that eventhough there are some really good cover-bands out there, none have really got even near the feeling that the original Maiden has on the songs. Same goes for Metallica.
    The songs aren't sometimes that difficult, but they got that something that most of the people just won't get right. I know this as I have played some Maiden on guitar..

Too bad I never got to buy "The Soundhouse Tapes", I could still maybe but it's really got higher and higher price all the time. I would only want official and real pressing if I was to get it one day.
    Luckily I got great needledrop made of the official release and it sounds better than "Best Of The Beast" 4lp-edition (which I also have my Maiden collection)..

Frosst, Zoot Marimba and Cheevyjames like this.
  19. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

I was aware of them, had watched a couple of videos from "Number of the Beast." Was having a weekend in San Francisco with my grandparents while my folks were on vacation, and we always would go to Tower Records (they loved music, too - and never judged the albums I'd select when they said they would get one for me during these visits). I saw "Piece of Mind" and knew that it was time to hop on the Maiden bandwagon, like all of the other cool kids in my (boys-only) high school. I was hooked, and could even relate to a lot of the lyrics, thanks to reading "Dune" a year or two earlier. Over the next couple of months, we tape-swapped the rest of their catalog up to that point, including "Maiden Japan." That's all it took, and they've been my second-favorite band (to the Stones) ever since.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  20. Cheevyjames

Same for me. I've never seen an authentic copy of the Soundhouse Tapes, but I have the digital files from the needledrop. I listen to it all of the time, esp. that version of Strange World. I know we'll get there next week, but the Soundhouse version is my favorite of the two.

@Musicman1998 in regards to the Soundhouse Tapes and "Mad Mac's" involvement, I've heard that rumor over the years, but I've never seen concrete evidence he played on there. Of course the band has always said they were a four piece when the recorded it, but that may not be the truth. Where have you seen that he was definitely on there?

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  21. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

FUN FACTS: The Soundhouse Tapes recorded as a five piece?
    Admittedly I could be wrong, and I'm not an expert on Maiden, though I do know the history of Maiden.

22. HankM

HankM Senior Member

This Sunday they are streaming Book Of Souls:Live Chapter on YouTube for free, 7pm GMT so check your times locally. Seen them on the Book Of Souls tour in Mansfield, Mass on July 19th. Great show!

Frosst likes this.
  23. E()

E() Cat Herder

Sounds familiar. Exactly what happened to me.

If you had told me then that I would still be a fan and have a 21 and 26 year old that were also fans I would have said you’re F-ing insane

Gus Tomato, Lupe Lu, Frosst and 2 others like this.
  24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think it’s kind of funny that noted heavy metal writer, Martin Popoff, doesn’t like Iron Maiden very much and has been pretty critical of Harris’s playing.

He says Steve-O puts too much emphasis on the bass lines (and sound of the bass) and it mars the music. I can kind of see where he might have a point on a few records, but Maiden’s sound is predicated on the bass to a large degree so it kind of is what is. The formula was engineered long ago and it’s not something that can be just toned down without it affecting the band’s sound tremendously.

25. Cheevyjames

Ah, interesting! It looks like it could go either way based on what's in that post. The dog picture could mean anything and isn't proof of recording. I haven't read the Stjepan Juras book where the Paul Cairns interview takes place. I'd like to read that and see what he says. I don't always believe the history that Rod and Steve have put out, but it's interesting that no one else besides Cairns says he played on Soundhouse. Thanks for showing me that post!