Who wrote "Black Sabbath"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paulette, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this thread. I seem to have a penchant for screwing up in this area.

I became a Black Sabbath freak over night. In the course of little over a month, I have listened to all or most of Ozzy era albums, have watched and read probably at least 50 interviews, registered to 2 forums to learn more about them, watched docs and will soon read "I am Ozzy", and went to an Ozzy concert.

Correct me if I am wrong, I swear I read that Geezer wrote the lyrics to "Black Sabbath" and darn if I can remember the stinkin' interview that I read that said that. From this point on I am keeping better track of what material I consume. Now, since just 2 days ago I have seen two live interviews with Geezer saying he had the nightmare and told Oz about it and then Oz wrote the song.

2. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Your question appears to be specifically about the lyrics.

I believe your last sentence has the lyrical portion of the song correct.

Paulette likes this.
  3. Paulette

Again, read my post. I don't always believe everything I read. I saw Geezer say it so it's pretty obvious. But I swear I read it, otherwise. Just doing a double take. But, thanks for helping me out.

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Sean, bluesky, SinnerSaint and 6 others like this.
  5. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

On a side note, I just heard Dazed And Confused for the first time in decades and was surprised how much it sounded like Sabbath, or rather vice versa. I wonder if Sabbath built their writing style around that song?

6. Paulette

Thanks Tim. Having listened to or read so much about how messed up Sharon is and the things she or Ozzy have done, nothing seems to be truth. So sad sometimes.

CusBlues likes this.
  7. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

So "Who wrote Black Sabbath," where we're assuming that we can't believe what we read?

Or are you really just asking if anyone else remembers an interview where Geezer said that he wrote the lyrics?

Paulette likes this.
  8. Paulette

Thanks. I have seen this, just no time yet to actually watch.

9. Paulette

Had to think about that for a min. I swear I read it. But then I saw the live interview. So, I suppose I believed it at first and it became more of an issue as to what to beleive. And yes, hopeful to find someone to steer me in the "right" direction.

So both, I guess. Did I answer your question?:)

10. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin's cover of "Dazed and Confused" is hard psychedelic blues, IMO.

It (and their first album in general) was surely influential on Sabbath, but to say they built their writing style on it would be epic exaggeration. I could see it being linked to a track or two though.

11. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

No.

12. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

I think we have all learned a lot here today
    [​IMG]

bluesky, bzfgt, ruben lopez and 12 others like this.
  13. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Welcome to the forums Paulette. I never knew about this story. Thanks for shedding some light on it. Love Black Sabbath, don't have all of their records but really love Paranoid and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (especially side 2).

14. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

How is it you can see a black figure in the dark with matte black walls? Maybe Geezer just didn't want to give Oz's book back...

Crimson Witch, bzfgt, Oliver and 6 others like this.
  15. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Mario Bava

16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I trust the answers I get on this forum more than what I find through random internet searches. Frequently, the forum answers include details you won’t find elsewhere.

The only search you need to master is the internal search on the forum itself. Because, by this point, unless it’s a new album, it’s all been covered before...

bzfgt, Paulette, Dave and 2 others like this.
  17. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Off topic a bit:

My grandmother, who was born in 1895, had to suffer through hearing a lot of rock music in the background when she visited our house in the 1970s. She bore it all silently, except when the song "Black Sabbath" was played. She would always seem to be genuinely disturbed by it, and would politely ask us to play something else. It was the only time that she ever asked that.

Later I read that the music for the song contains what is known as "the devil's tritone."

18. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Vincent Price

klockwerk likes this.
  19. Paulette

All I do is create threads. And you can see I am good at getting a lot of less than supportive responses. But I get super bored if I don't do threads and I constantly have questions about BS. I am doing a huge amount of research.

xilef regnu and zphage like this.
  20. sad124

sad124 Forum Resident

But according to Bob Daisley.......
    Ozzy doesn't/can't write lyrics :hide:.

Sorry, couldn't resist nor could I find the emoji stirring the pot :D.

21. Paulette

Oh yea. Forgot about that, thanks.

Rufus rag likes this.
  22. Paulette

:love:

23. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Nothing wrong with this thread Paulette. :righton:

24. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The lyrics were about Geezer basically being scared out of his shorts by an experience that he then related to Ozzy, who wrote the lyrics based upon it. I believe it was this experience that caused Geezer to realize that Black Magic was no longer of interest, as it had scarred the shhit out of him. This is why the song was basically a warning about these dangers.

Geezer and Ozzy sometimes collaborated on lyrics in the early days, though as is widely known Geezer was the main lyricist and ended up writing 95% of them between 1969-1978.

Musically, I suppose Iommi would get the most credit, though it has been said that Geezer messing around with the opening of Holst's "Mars" inspired the main riff.

25. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Daisely is either unfamiliar or overstating.

"Who Are You?", The Writ" and "Junior's Eyes" are confirmed to have had lyrics written by Ozzy. There may be a couple of other Sabbath songs as well.

Also, a recent unearthing of some early lyrics notes seem to indicate that Ozzy and Geezer wrote "Solitude".

Paulette, Efus, sad124 and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.