Who wrote "Black Sabbath"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paulette, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

There is an awful to of thread crapping going on here folks. I just deleted a bunch Let's stop and just answer the question.

Thank you.

2. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

No time to watch a 2 minute clip, but time enough to create a thread to ask about it.

Desolation Row, painted8 and jon9091 like this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That is true. The octave switch with the low G to high G to C# is known as that. It’s that last dissonant note that makes it known as such.

The impetus for the riff, I believe, came from Geezer Butler playing something from “The Planets” by Holst and Iommi took it ran with it.

4. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Ozzy often gets slated for one reason or another but he's a fantastic melodocist, loads of Sabbath songs are just as memorable for his vocal melodies as they are for Tony's riffs.

5. sad124

sad124 Forum Resident

Thanks for the clarification on Junior's Eyes, I knew of the others.
    Similar to Paulette hearing Ozzy/Geezer wrote the lyrics to Black Sabbath, I heard Geezer wrote Junior's Eyes.
    As you stated I'm sure there was collaborating on those songs.

Sorry, not to hi-jack the thread.

Tim with your knowledge do you know about the lyrics to Changes and Sabbra Cadabra?

Thanks

Paulette likes this.
  6. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident Thread Starter

I suppose I saw it wrong. I saw it as 2 hours

7. Paulette

If it has to do with Sabbath, I'm happy.

8. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Watch this short interview with Burke Shelley. He makes the same comparison.

9. Paulette

What is your point? Did you really want to know the answer? I thought it was something else and was genuinely happy to get the link. You ruined that thank you.
    BTW, I've watched that about 5 times already.

leeroy jenkins likes this.
  10. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Ozzy wrote the lyrics to "Junior's Eyes" after the death of his father. He also completely changed the vocal melody from what it has been when Dave Walker was in the band.

I don't know of anything definitive about "Changes" or "Sabbra Cadabra" but I would bet dollars to donuts that Ozzy penned the lyrics to both. They are way too straightforward for Geezer.

Speaking of "Changes" when I saw it in the new "farewell" movie it really gave me chills. Sure, it isn't 1972 but Ozzy was clearly giving every last drop of what he has left in the tank to relive it.

squittolo, 100423, Soundhead and 3 others like this.
  11. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

The first true heavy metal song, in my opinion. It has all the key ingredients that later formed the genre.

California Couple likes this.
  12. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Regarding 'Dazed', I totally agree. Said as much years ago on this forum. Zep had two albums out before Black Sabbath and the Sabs were obviously listening.

BDC likes this.
  13. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

It's weird because he says he never bought a Sabbath (or Purple or Heep) record, but gives his judgment on "Paranoid" sounding like "Communication Breakdown" anyway.

Maybe one day he can analyze "Iron Man" ,"Hand Of Doom" or "War Pigs". Be interesting to hear how he thinks those songs took shape.

That documentary looks awful. Really heavy on the clichés and the timeline isn't making any sense based on that clip.

Paulette likes this.
  14. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

On Ozzy Osbourne's live album Speak Of The Devil, he does say that Black Sabbath is the "first song I ever wrote." On a sidenote, if you haven't had a chance to get the aforementioned live album, get it! Sabbath's songs are well interpreted, especially with Brad Gillis's shredding.

15. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Lyrically it's blues to me. Bad, evil woman done me wrong...

There are some explosive musical moments, however. And definitely Plant's singing style was probably influential on legions of metalheads a decade or so later.

But the guitar just isn't heavy enough to be the true beginning of "metal." Clapton had already used far heavier tones. Same with Blue Cheer.

Paulette and BGLeduc like this.
  16. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I would disagree. I think the songs are poorly interpreted. Sounds like a bunch of guys wanking without any real clue of how to get inside those songs, with Ozzy's obviously studio drenched vocals draped on top of everything.

Even the somewhat lackluster (compared to how the Dio-era actually was live) Live Evil was better, IMO.

ArpMoog, Classicolin and Paulette like this.
  17. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

To be fair, I haven't had a chance to listen to Live Evil (I know I know, how can I call myself a Black Sabbath fan without listening to Live Evil). But when I'll find a copy, I look forward to hearing it.

sad124 likes this.
  18. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

So grandma was Ok with Behind the Wall of Sleep? ;) Seriously tho, I would like to see the breakdown of which lyrics Ozzy wrote. For example, Killing Yourself to Live, to me this is Geezer but.. the verse, "You think that I'm crazy and baby...etc etc, sounds like an Ozzy lyric.

Paulette likes this.
  19. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Burke also said Led Zeppelin was the catalyst. I may have leaned more towards Cream, but Burke was there and I wasn't. :)

20. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

As much as I love Budgie...still....ah....No.

21. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

My wife has the same reaction. And she never complains about what I play. It's the line in the sand. So it stays in the basement

Hot Ptah likes this.
  22. sad124

sad124 Forum Resident

Thanks Tim.

I think those songs are heavily Ozzy's lyrics for the same reason you mentioned, too straight forward for Geezer.
    Would also include Rock n Roll Doctor and of course Fairies.

I agree with the Changes performance in the new doc. Fantastic.

hi_watt I agree.

As Tim mentioned earlier, some lyrics were a group effort.
    I heard Bill mention "Of all the things I value most of all" part in Spiral Architect was his contribution (lyrically).

Paulette and hi_watt like this.
  23. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Make sure you don't play Sibelius 4th Symphony in her presence. :)

zen, monotubevibe and Paulette like this.
  24. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Well, whether or not he was "there", if he thinks he's in a position to understand Sabbath's impact on the subgenre of Heavy Metal by hearing the song "Paranoid", then in my view he's clueless. And the BBC should have never called upon him to comment in the first place.

Paulette likes this.
  25. Paulette

I have yet another question for you Tim. Sorry, I like to pick your brain. Especially about Ozzy.
    What is studio drenched?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.