Cheap Xmas: Donald Fagen Complete - Vinylbox coming in December

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by solstice69, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solstice69

solstice69 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi friends,

Rhino recently released a 5-CD "Complete Set" of Fagen´s solo work, with 10 rarity tracks. All these were available before, so maybe no thing of special interest.

BUT as I just saw, there will be also Vinyl Box Set, with 7 discs, scheduled for December 8th. And although most albums are readily available, KAMAKIRIAD is NOT. And the Bonus Tracks neither.

You can already pre-order this set at various online shops, but information is sparse yet.

If this was posted before, please move or delete.

deany76 and e.s. like this.
  2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Do you have a link to share?

3. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

deany76 and pghmusiclover like this.
  4. solstice69

solstice69 Forum Resident Thread Starter

5. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

That is awesome.

deany76 likes this.
  6. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Are there any details on packaging, mastering or pressing? I only have on vinyl the first album from when it was first released. That's a great album, to me his best. The rest I have on CD and DVD from the box set Nightfly Trilogy which is great and includes these same bonus tracks.

I wonder if sunken condos will be clear like the original vinyl? It would be great if morph the cat was made into a three sided album as well, like they did with sunken condos.

7. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Expensive Christmas, more like!
    Sod it. Kamikiriad? I'm in!

frogfog likes this.
  8. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

9. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

I ordered this from Amazon.ca on Sept. 30th (under $100 US). Glad it looks like it's actually going to happen.

Kamikiriad on vinyl?

Yes, please...

I333I likes this.
  10. What will be the packaging for the vinyl? Have Steve's Morph and the new MOFI Nightfly, and I don't really want to part with those. Could envision getting the box for Kamakiriad and the Bonus tracks while selling off the duplicate stuff. (heresy?)

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This set is taking it's title literally:evil:

The big question is:

1. How is the artwork.
    2. How is the mastering.
    3. Will the albums receive a separate release.

12. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Also - for me - are the CDs remastered in any way, shape or form?

UPDATE: Ah - never mind. The CDs have been released already - and according to Amazon are the same as previous editions.

Cheers,
    Paul

13. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Correct.

14. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Which in case of vinyl makes sense for the last two albums. But what about the first two? Which mastering will be used for "The Nightfly"? And there's no way they are using the 1993 cut of "Kamakiriad". At 90-100€ this box set is not expensive so I'm wondering if this will have the quality some of Donald's vinyl has. It would be very nice....

15. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

I'm a bit lost here...there are the 4 solo albums and 10 extra songs....how does that equate to 7 lp's ?

Fullbug likes this.
  16. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Some of the albums won't fit on one LP.

17. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Gotcha....thank you for clarifying that

18. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I own all four albums on vinyl already, but gutted that the Cheap Xmas comp isn't available separately. Happily, the total cost of the albums wasn't quite as much as the asking price for the box set.

19. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Patience.....

20. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat – plus I paid more for my copy of Kamakiriad than this entire box set is going for – so I've put it on my Christmas list in hopes that some loving family member will get it for me as a gift, thus enabling me to rationalize have two copies of everything just to own he comp!

21. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Donald Fagen / Cheap Xmas vinyl box | superdeluxeedition

[​IMG]

First ever vinyl release of the ‘complete’ Donald Fagen box
    The recent reissue of the ‘complete’ Donald Fagen Cheap Xmas five-CD box set was very welcome, but much more exciting is the news that a first ever vinyl edition of the same set will be with us before the end of the year.

This seven-LP box includes all of Fagen’s solo albums – The Nightfly (1982), Kamakiriad (1993), Morph The Cat (2006), Sunken Condos (2012) and a bonus LP, ’10 Extras’, which features rarities such as demos, songs written for films and live tracks.

The price in the UK is £73, which is already good value, but bear in mind that you’d probably pay that just to track down a decent original copy of the Walter Becker produced Kamakiriad on vinyl. And while no one is claiming the vinyl edition of The Nightfly included here will sound as good as Mobile Fidelity’s recent Ultradisc One-Step Pressing, you are getting close to Fagen’s entire output on vinyl for less than the press of that one audiophile box.

Morph The Cat and Sunken Condos are both double albums (although there is no music on side three of Condos), which is why Cheap Xmas is a seven-LP box. Sunken Condos has never been issued on black vinyl (the original was clear) so that’s another fact worth pointing out.

This vinyl edition of Cheap Xmas: Donald Fagen Complete will be released on 8 December 2017.

deany76 and Ken.e. like this.
  22. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

I think its cool the bonus tracks are on vinyl also.

I have all the stuff on cd already, but vinyl is fun to get.

later

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    deany76 likes this.
  24. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

The bonus tracks:
    • Rhymes
    • Big Noise New York (Demo)
    • True Companion (Soundtrack Version)
    • Confide In Me (Demo)
    • Blue Lou (from Glengarry Glenn Ross)
    • Shanghai Confidential
    • Green Flower Street (Live at the Beacon)
    • Century's End
    • Hank's Pad (Live)
    • Viva Viva Rock 'N' Roll (Live)
    Embarrassed to say there is a few tracks I've never heard before.

Pretty good value for money, both CD and vinyl, great Christmas present.

25. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Is it still a Christmas present if you buy it for yourself? Surprised they don't bring out a Steely Dan Box set as well. Hold off until next year though, I already bought a present for myself this year. Mind you I have five Steely Dan albums from the early 80's when I first got into them. It would have to be special to buy that set. More than just including the last two albums to get me fork out for that set. I'm sure it would be tempting and I could find some crazy math to make myself buy it.

Almost Simon and deany76 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.