Who wrote "Black Sabbath"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paulette, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Well we know where Led Zeppelin got it from ;-)

dlokazip, Crimson jon and Paulette like this.
  2. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I wouldn't believe everything Sharon says.

3. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Ozzy was ripped during that recording...take what he says with a grain of salt.

hi_watt and GodShifter like this.
  4. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, I guess it is mostly granted that he was almost always ripped. But, how do you know? Not trying to be rude. I really am interested in all of the info that people have.

5. Paulette

What do you mean? Don't believe everything I hear about Saron?

6. Paulette

Tim, how do you know so much about Sabbath and Ozzy? You write with such authority I don't even find myself questioning you

7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

There are some great recordings of it on You tube. Here is what Wiki says about it.
    The symphony is anchored by tritones and the use of modulations that involve the use of keys a tritone apart.
    Symphony No. 4 (Sibelius) - Wikipedia

Paulette likes this.
  8. Rose River Bear

I am sure you have checked out @GodShifter amazing Sabbath thread from a couple years ago. Here is what I wrote about the title track. If you get the chance to read it, let me know what you think.

The Black Sabbath album by album thread (1970-2013)

Paulette likes this.
  9. Rose River Bear

I realize she influenced a lot of rockers but what riffs did Sabbath use from the songs in this clip? I can't think of the songs. Maybe how Iommi soloed?

10. Rose River Bear

I am off thread here but recently I have been listening to War Pigs just about daily. Each time I hear it my jaw drops due to how amazing a song it is. I think it has gone to the top of my list of Sabbath songs.

11. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

It is epic. I know the word is overused, but it applies to War Pigs - f'in epic.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  12. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Not at all, I hope you keep the Sabbath discussions going here too. That is a forum I've been on for quite a while.. I know my Sabbath, but there's people there who really do. I give you that, because IMO, it's the best BS forum on the net..

13. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Well Cream sure seemed like a catalyst for Zeppelin.

14. California Couple

It is easy to hear Ozzy singing Dazed and Confused. No stretch at all.

ledsox likes this.
  15. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

"Speak" of the d.....you mean..... IMO the worst thing about "Live Evil" is Dio on it!
    I was critical back in the day of Gillis on SOTD, but after revisiting album/DVD, it's great and he did Sabbath covers better than Randy. Gillis also did a damn good Randy... I actually consider Gillis my second favorite Ozzy guitar player after RR........Though the stint was short

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  16. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

No - in The Land Of The Heavy And The Home Of Metal, it was called Talk Of The Devil.

Classicolin and BDC like this.
  17. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

Damn, that really makes me laugh. I’m not even sure why.

18. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

OK gotcha, just wiki'd it.....

19. California Couple

Listening to this right now for the first time, mellow but I like it. Very few CD buying options for it, mostly on complete symphony versions.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  20. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

I've just finished reading "Black Sabbath" by Mick Wall, & it is a great read, & just what you're looking for. "I am Ozzy" is a good read too, but you'll appreciate the former much more IMO.

Tony Iommi came up with the music mostly on every album.
    Geezer Butler wrote the lyrics mostly, especially the earlier albums.
    Ozzy created his own melody lines to the music, & at times adjusted the lyrics to suit the music with Geezer.
    Bill Ward is one of the major-league rock drummers around, that can swing like no-one-else can.

The idea of the name & tune "Black Sabbath" came from the boys viewing all the folks every-night packing-out the cinema to watch horror-films, across the street where they would rehearse. That's when they decided to make scary music, along with LZ's heavy blues-based emphasis.

Cheers,

Gregster

Paulette and Purple like this.
  21. California Couple

I thought they were watching t he actual movie itself one night.

[​IMG]

Gregster and Rose River Bear like this.
  22. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Ozzy wasn't always ripped in the 70's. I don't know enough about his post-Sabbath 80's career to comment on it.

In fact I believe that Sabbath had a policy that drinking/drugging was to take place after shows, not before.

Which isn't to say any of them probably followed that 100% but it was apparently the thinking. I suspect Ozzy's problem came when the amount of partying he was doing after shows got more and more out of hand, but by the end of the 70's all of them were f'ed up. It's just that Ozzy was apparently more so.

Paulette likes this.
  23. sad124

sad124 Forum Resident

What a F****ing Band!
    The power and majesty.
    Chill inducing.

Paulette and Tim1954 like this.
  24. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Ozzy as many of his knew him long before The Osbournes. :)

Paulette likes this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Watching performances of the band in the mid 70’s, there’s absolutely no way there weren’t drugs involved in those gigs. Geezer is totally on a coke fueled binge at the California Jam and even Tony looks like he dropped a ton of acid. Ozzy would have definitely been there, too.

I’d venture to say ALL of Sabbath was heavily “medicated” during 70’s while playing live. There’s no other explanation.

Crush Everything likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.