So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

A likable enough song melody-wise, but man, I cannot stand the lyrics. Also, it came out at a time when found out that my then gf was cheating on me big time, so perhaps that colored my perception of the song at the time. But as you said, even the band hates this song. My favorite song from the Brigade album is "I Didn't Want To Need You," which was also a single.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  2. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

I will be spinning "I Didn't Want to Need You" tomorrow night! I agree....it is my favorite track on Brigade also!!

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I appreciate this song more now than I did back when it was on the charts. I bought the CD when it was first released, so I guess the surprise of hearing the songs on the radio was lost a bit. I still struggle to hear the difference between the album mix and the single remix.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  4. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Singles are/were cool. A single is the artist's way of saying here is our best work, this is the best that we can do and we hope you like it.

5. Juggsnelson

Heart- I Didn't Want to Need You/The Night
    Diane Warren's second chart hit for Heart (after "Who Will You Run To"), this second single from Brigade hit #23 USA and #47 UK. Richie Zito's production only increases the smoothness of this building rocker. The riff is a bit reminiscent of "Angel" by Aerosmith although Ann Wilson out vocals Steven Tyler (no easy feat). How was this not a slam dunk top 5 hit after "All I Want..."? What a waste. This is the power ballad personified. Now, I am a sucker for these types of tracks....but this is just a killer tune. It makes Bad English....look....BAD!
    [​IMG]

ascot, Surly, c-eling and 1 other person like this.
  6. Juggsnelson

Heart-You're the Voice/Call of the Wild
    UK ISSUE ETCHED B SIDE
    A huge, global hit for John Farnham in 1986/1987, this version by Heart was a minor hit in the UK reaching #56. It has a very catchy chorus for sure, and Heart does this song very well. This should be a good tune considering 4 absolute pros from Manfred Mann, Icehouse, Brian May and Procal Harum were involved in writing it. Catchy stuff if you haven't heard it!!
    [​IMG]

7. Juggsnelson

Heaven 17- I'm Your Money/Are Everything
    UK ISSUE
    The second single from the ex members of Human League plus Glenn Gregory on vicals, this failed to chart globally. Very electronic and in several languages.....this may have hurt its commercial appeal. A bit fun and super catchy after multiple listens. Still only an ok track in my eyes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  8. Juggsnelson

Heaven 17- Play to Win/Play
    UK ISSUE
    This hit #46 in the UK in 1981. Very electronic as you would expect. Nice guest bass part from John Wilson. These tracks kind of function as an embryonic Erasure. Cool, offbeat, quirky. And catchy!!
    [​IMG]

9. Juggsnelson

Heaven 17- Penthouse and Pavement/Instrumental
    UK ISSUE
    This hit #57 in the UK in 1981. Yet another fantastic bass part from John Wilson. This track also features vocals by soul siren Josie James. I really dig the piano complimenting the synths. The co-lead vocals are a positive as well. My fave track of theirs.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    GLENN, Splungeworthy, Mylene and 2 others like this.
  10. Juggsnelson

Heaven 17- Sunset Now/Counterforce
    UK ISSUE
    This reached #24 in the UK in 1984. The guys were catching some flak for becoming too pop but I really think that this is where they should have been all along. Great hook and Afrodiziak on the background vocals....what more could you ask for? A slightly deeper chorus perhaps, but it gets the job done. Very upbeat....makes me think more of sunrise than sunset, but I guess it's meant to kick off the evening rather than the day!
    [​IMG]

11. Juggsnelson

Heaven 17- The Foolish Thing To Do/My Sensitivity
    UK ISSUE
    This more soulful and jazzy direction for the band yielded this hit which topped out at #80 in the UK in 1988. Soul legend Jimmy Ruffin sings the lead on both sides of the single. He no longer brings the fire like he used to, but he still sounds sweet as can be.
    [​IMG]

12. Juggsnelson

Bobby Hebb- Sunny/Bread
    This single reached #2 in the USA in 1966. This "glass half full" tune was written in the wake of the murder of JFK as well as Hebb's older brother just days after. A true classic. Great studio work on the instrumental bits....especially,the bass and horns. You can never hear this song enough!
    [​IMG]

13. Juggsnelson

Jimi Hendrix Experience- Purple Haze/51st Anniversary
    UK ISSUE
    This is the original copy of the first ever Track Records single release and I am lucky to say my copy sounds straight off the press.....and what a great start it is! This tune reached #3 in the UK and #65 in the USA in 1967. Not much else to be said about this track.....killer psych blues guitar matched with Jimi's cool blues drawl vocal. Mitch's drumming is no slouch....he sure is busy but never distracting.
    [​IMG]

team2, Mr Bass, Mylene and 6 others like this.
  14. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I'd like to see the Contenders album reissued. I have their UK greatest hits from a few years back that comes with a DVD of all their videos, and also the reissues of their first 3 albums. I've also created a playlist in iTunes to match their first American album release.
    [​IMG]

Juggsnelson likes this.
  15. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I have the picture sleeve version of this one.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  16. Grant

For some reason, even as a three year-old, I thought this record was cool, but kind of unusual. I had never seen a Philips label before, and I thought the background singers were absolutely haunting. The vibe reminded me of Deon Jackson's "Love Makes The World Go Around".

Juggsnelson likes this.
  17. Juggsnelson

The background singers are a great touch....when done right they really can make a song! I'll have to check out the Deon Jackson tune....I don't think I know it!

18. Juggsnelson

I wouldn't mind having that DVD! I find I play the video comp DVD's I own more and more these days. Amazon here I come!

Surly likes this.
  19. Juggsnelson

Jimi Hendrix- All Along the Watchtower/Long Hot Summer Night
    UK ISSUE
    This Dylan cover reached #29 USA and #5 UK in 1968. Pretty much everyone, including Dylan himself, recognizes that Jimi owns this tune. That's Brian Jones on the Vibraslap after each initial opening chord. A fine bass line turned in by Mr. Hendrix himself. A tour de force for Mitch Mitchell as well. Contained hysteria best describes his playing here.
    [​IMG]

team2, Mr Bass, ascot and 3 others like this.
  20. Juggsnelson

Jimi Hendrix-Cross Town Traffic/Gypsy Eyes
    UK ISSUE
    This peaked at #52 in the USA and #37vin the UK in 1968. Backing vocals are provided by frequent Hendrix collaborator Dave Mason. Pretty cool lyrics comparing a personal relationship with a young lady to New York's infamous traffic.
    [​IMG]

ascot, Bobby Buckshot, Grant and 2 others like this.
  21. Juggsnelson

Jimi Hendrix- Fire/Foxey Lady
    These performances are from the Miami Pop Festival. These performances are played arcs breakneck pace and are a bit sloppy.....yet so great. You can visualize Jimi and company ripping through these tunes.
    [​IMG]

ascot, Bobby Buckshot, Grant and 2 others like this.
  22. Juggsnelson

Nona Hendryx- Why Should I Cry?/Funkyland
    This track from the former Labelle singer reached #48 USA and #60 UK in 1987. Co written by a couple of pop/r&b heavyweights in Jellybean and Lisa Keith. An in demand backing vocalist, it's shame that Nona's solo career never really took off.
    [​IMG]

Surly, Bobby Buckshot and Mylene like this.
  23. Juggsnelson

Don Henley'Johnny Can't Read/Long Way Home
    Nice Space Invaders T Shirt Don!!
    A song about illiteracy, this hit USA #42 in 1982. Hard to believe Don's first solo single wasn't a big success. Frequent collaborator Danny Kortchmar co-wrote and produced this tune. The music is uncharacteristically upbeat and "fun" for a Henley tune. Interesting choice for the first single. The chorus is catchy but the carnival keyboards drag it down a bit.
    [​IMG]

24. Juggsnelson

Don Henley- Dirty Laundry/Lilah
    This track hit #3 USA and #59 UK in 1983. Along the lines of "Scandal" by Queen, this song deals with the parasitic nature of the news culture. Sex, death, etc...
    Besides old reliable Kortchmar, Timothy Schmitt, Joe Walsh, Steve Lukather, and Jeff Porcaro play on this tune. Lukather really rips up the second solo. A bit off the pop spectrum compared to later Henley solo releases.
    [​IMG]

Surly, ascot, Bobby Buckshot and 2 others like this.
  25. Grant

Nothing beats the mono mix!

Juggsnelson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.