Liam Gallagher's first solo album "As You Were" released 10/6/17

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

According to Sasha Baron Cohen he does:edthumbs:

QuickDrawDave and Yorick like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Grimsby : Very funny movie.
    Liam must be honored.

Yorick likes this.
  3. QuickDrawDave

QuickDrawDave Well-Known Member

I really liked his new album, it was much better than I'd expected.

I think his voice seems very fragile now tho, and it's deteriorated as he's been playing live to promote the album. I haven't enjoyed his live performances at all, and his voice has changed so much from the Oasis days.

I'm starting to wonder if him and Noel both know that Liam's voice isn't up to an Oasis reunion, just neither of them are saying it publicly?

Mamunia and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. alexpop

Wonder how NG new album going to do in the charts,number 1 no doubt. Depends who he's competing with I guess.

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. Mamunia

Mamunia Forum Resident

His voice seems to have gotten worse since the start of all this promo/touring, hope it recovers after some breaks. It is really great to see him really mixing up the setlists each night, just worry the solo stuff is going to get quickly forgotten

CrombyMouse likes this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The rivalry between them will get interesting if Noel's album is far less successful than Liam's.

alexpop likes this.
  7. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

By the look of the crowd reception to 'Wall Of Glass' since the summer, and 'Greedy Soul', 'Bold', 'Paper Crown' and 'Come Back To Me' since, his new material will have a long breath. The vocals will forever be his heel of Achilles I'm afraid. I think he should stop doing these 5 gigs in a row promo things. In the past it was a combination of his vocals being exhausted and him putting no effort in/having a weak technique - turning away from the mic, cutting off every word, slurring lines - and at least the latter has completely changed now.

Yorick, Mamunia and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

three songs I have heard are so weak. I think I am pulling my pre-order for the new NG

9. alexpop

NG
    The zeitgeist moment has passed for me. Automatic purchase his last two albums. New album he said he wants to lose his old fans, fanbase split it in two(parkamonkeys..whatever) looks like he's succeeding.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    NunoBento, Erik B. and SebUK like this.
  10. Brian Lucey

Brian Lucey Well-Known Member

So it follows on that, as with any mastering, it's a delbierate choice to compress/limit/treat in whatever way to reach this end result.

False, and also, not one answer. Yet the one answer that is true is that 99.9% of my clients want a louder master than you do.

The artist and label are very happy with each second of each track, it's a #1, and has set a 20 year record in 1 week vinyl. You're welcome to come by the studio and listen to the mixes.

What do you do for a living? Do you serve a team?

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Thanks for weighing in and welcome to the forum. We often lose sight that the number one reason that a release sounds more limited/compressed/loud than we would want is that absolutely everyone who is paying for it to exist in the world wants it that way. We've been losing that battle more than winning it for a solid two decades now, so bear with us. :)

luckyno13 likes this.
  12. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

I understand your comments that you're involved in a collaborative process and from your other comments in the MQA thread that you feel that this is 'the sound of modern music'.

But I suppose I'm curious as to whether, if it was your choice alone, the album might have a little more dynamic range.

Also, I find the record very bright.
    Do you not feel that this is the case or is this also part of 'the sound of modern music' in order to achieve a presence to the sound on less than ideal systems?

I understand that you might not like to comment but I thought I'd ask and I'll check out the titles you suggest in the MQA thread.

SebUK likes this.
  13. SebUK

SebUK Forum Resident

Brian, thanks for taking the time to quote my post that was buried some six pages back, it's great to open a dialogue.

We have a saying where I come from, 'wind yer neck in', so I'll try and reply with that in mind, and also with the fact that this thread (and my contributions to it) are majorly about how good 'As You Were' is and how good it is to see Liam Gallagher doing well.

First off, I don't "serve a team" or indeed serve anyone. My living involves me being commissioned to do work, if people like it they come back, if they don't they don't.

It's good to hear that your clients in this case are very happy with every second of each track and that it has sold well. I would absolutely love to come to your studio and hear the mixes and next time I'm in the area I will certainly take you up on the offer.

Having said that, I don't really see what that has to do with my comment about a mastering engineer telling me 'everyone wants it loud these days'.

I answered another poster, who posited that the mixes you worked with for 'As You Were' were 'probably loud and distorted', with a question about the basis for that statement, especially as in this case the works originated with different studios and producers.

You said "So it follows on that, as with any mastering, it's a delbierate choice to compress/limit/treat in whatever way" which is obviously taken as read and was the point I was making wasn't it?

I went on to say that (in my experience) the supplied final mixes are often dynamic and with plenty of headroom to allow the mastering engineer to do his work.

You said that was "False, and also, not one answer." Do you mean it is false in every case, that every project you have worked on you have been supplied with 'final mixes' that were heavily compressed and limited already? And what do you mean by 'not one answer'?

You then go on to say that "99.9% of my clients want a louder master than you do". I must point out that you don't actually know how loud I want masters to be or in what context I may want them to greater reflect the 'feel' of the originating final mixes, but in the specific example I quoted I had queried a two track single being low in dnyamic range compared to the supplied recordings and simply received the answer that "everyone wanted it loud", which is essentially what you're saying here too.

So, just to clarify, are you (as the London mastering engineer did in my example) saying that 'everyone' (or in your stated case 99.9%) wants the loudest master they can get? Do you know that in every commission you work on this is a fact for each person in 'the team' you serve, ie right through the chain from artist to label?

Are you also saying that I am wrong (although having personal experience of it being the case in a contemporary setting) to think that the final mixes supplied to mastering engineers often, or even usually, have a greater range of dynamics, more headroom and are significantly less compressed and limiting that the finished released masters that go to market?

If you could just clear that up I'd be much obliged.

Personally, I'd love to know the difference of tracks that come out of Greg Kurstin's studio and the ones that were produced by a far less well known team here in the UK, but I'm guessing that is only a question that Mark Stent could answer in this case (although I think i'm right in saying he didn't mix 'Come Back To Me', which does have a slightly different sound to the rest of the album even after your own input.

luckyno13 likes this.
  14. alexpop

As You Were is not a audiophile album, It's a modern pop album. So Bluetooth speaker should suffice. I like the songs and I prefer what I've heard to Noel Gallagher's production/songs.

15. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Saw him Thursday night in Phoenix. It was a good show. 1 hour and 6 minutes long however. Looks like he is shortening the set list for the American crowd, because he loves them so much. Unfortunately, no D'Ya Know What I Mean or Paper Crown which have been bumped from the setlist apparently.

That being said . . .it was fooking Biblical !

16. alexpop

He does love Forever Changes perhaps reflective of his tour set list.

17. Brian Lucey

Brian Lucey Well-Known Member

Yes, and great !

Thanks Ken

Fear aka insecurity drives most of us more than we want to admit ... artists and labels too, more than audiophiles or fans understand. No one wants to seem old, or weak, thus louder records are wanted.

What I would want here, on an island I never allow myself to ponder as it's disresepectful and unprofessional. It's as bright as they liked it. I've done many records that are warmer.

Any record, this one too, could be louder. A line is drawn in the sand, hard as that may be to believe.

Dynamic mixes over say -12 don't really exist, and especially with major artists and major mixers nothing over say -8. The mixers get it as close to the finish line as possible, and I enhance.

Artists have roughs, with limiters, and the mixer beats the level and the rough. I get those mixes and beat the level and the mix. Occasionally I will print lower than a hot mix. Usually hotter than a hot mix. That's the gig.

gottafeelin, NunoBento, SebUK and 2 others like this.
  18. alexpop

Hope you do Liam Gallagher's second album !!!

Brian Lucey likes this.
  19. alexpop

Well Liam being the voice of Oasis, the soul of Oasis and the keeper of the flame when it comes to continuity with all things Oasis. Which is ironic as he never wrote the bands hits. But with comparison with his brother Noel's latest magnus opus ( sounding more U2 than his former band). If Liam keeps it up and follows say Morrissey with the same template ie still sounding like The Smiths, his rock & roll ⭐️ will shine on.

NunoBento and George P like this.
  20. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Not one single song Noel has released so far sounds like U2.

As I’ve said before, I’ve All I Need from as You Were is textbook U2 and the most U2 sounding track a Gallagher has ever released

21. SebUK

SebUK Forum Resident

Once again thanks for engaging Brian, much appreciated and a great opportunity for people on this forum to find out exactly how things are working at your end.

just to make sure I'm getting this, in your example "-8" means RMS yes?

Can you give any info on whether the recent moves by Spotify in reducing their LUFS index to -14 LUFS, (and with Apple Music being-16 LUFS) has any bearing on how loud you master now, or do you see it having an effect in the future in terms of your clients' expectations?

alexpop likes this.
  22. alexpop

Not only does he sound like U2, he even basis song titles on theirs.
    Anyway have a beautiful day.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    NunoBento likes this.
  23. alexpop

Are you having a "luf?
    Please can you explain that in layman' terms ?

SebUK likes this.
  24. SebUK

SebUK Forum Resident

(as I understand it) RMS is one way of measuring, for want of a better term, 'loudness' as it is discussed here, so I just wanted to check with Brian that's what his figures were relating to.

LUFS are a more recent standard of measurement and the one on which streaming services base their own 'loudness' processing (used in a similar way to the compression applied by radio stations to make listening to differently mastered tracks a more seamless end user expereince). One school of thought currently suggests that this latter process now actually favours tracks with great dynamic range over those that are made 'loud' in the way that Brian and the london-based proffessional in my own example describe as being the current standard their clients demand.

I'm more than happy to be corrected/educated if any of that is totally of the mark btw!

25. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

If I was in LA, I might very well accept that invitation :)
    For now, I have to keep binge listening to my favourite album of 2017 on my white vinyl from the Deluxe box. Congratulations on your work with RKid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.