Detectorists Series 3, adrenaline fuelled comedy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pastafarian, Nov 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident Thread Starter

This series has been mentioned in other threads, certainly by me. It's an absolute joy but not sure how well it travels, wondering if there is much love out there, do you find it funny? I understand this will be the last series, hopefully it'll be as good as 1 & 2.

2. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I love it!

Discovered it about a year ago on Netflix, so this is the first time I've not been able to binge at my own pace.

I'll probably watch each episode 2 or 3 times before the next one comes on.

With this on a Wednesday, and Modern Life Is Goodish on a Tuesday for the next few weeks, I'm in TV heaven!

bpmd1962 likes this.
  3. WerewolfLondon

WerewolfLondon Forum Resident

It's the best thing on UK TV. The writing, photography and performances are outstanding.

If this is to be the last series, I do look forward to MacKenzie Crook's next project.

4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Any info on how/when to watch series 3 in the US?

5. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Fantastic series.

It doesn't look like Sophie is in the new series which is a shame.

smilin ed likes this.
  6. Pastafarian

It's great to see some love:love:

I'm not sure if this guy is just very sad, or the new script writer, this rivals Terry's Buttons presentation. Warning although it contains a SPOILER Alert, if you've not seen series one beware, priceless

7. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

hmm - I like detecting - my brother mentioned this show to me before..interesting concept......I also thought a show set at a flea market full of weirdo vendors would be good.....

8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I love this show. Several great performances, but especially Toby Jones. I'll miss Sophie!

9. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

Hope that `PAUL and ART` are back in the new series........Had me laughing out loud......

OobuJoobu likes this.
  10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I believe they are...

11. Pastafarian

12. Pastafarian

I've been struggling with this one, should I just wait then I can binge, I picked up on it late so I was able to watch 1 & 2 in one Zen like evening. I find that repeated watching brings out subtle thing you can miss, Sheila's expressions and asides in particular.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  13. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

"I reckon I could get under that tape" , brilliant :laugh:

That's up there with one of my favourite lines from series 2, when Andy told Lance he was going to live in Botswana-

Lance - Botswana? In Africa?
    Andy - "No, Botswana Upon Thames" :D

GeoffC likes this.
  14. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Agreed, tricky decision. Utterly childish I know, but I loved the bit at the DMDC meeting this week when they were talking about "if it's moist, you get an extra 6 inches of deep penetration" :laugh:

15. Pastafarian

No you've got that wrong "A hoard, in a straight line" did it for me, you can tell Mackenzie's a fan of Time Team, surprised we've not had Phil in a trench or Dr. Alice Roberts making an appearance, that would give Becky cause to pick up her pint!!

16. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

This is one of those TV series that definitely is not for everyone but I love it. I've watched all episodes of S1 & S2 twice (once straight through by myself and once with my wife). She loved it too. Great characters. I esp liked the kooky farmer and his dogs! I haven't seen season 3 yet - not available on Netflix in Canada at the moment. Really looking forward to it.

17. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

Sophie joins the club...and what is buried in the far paddock?

18. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

If anyone knows Mackenzie Crook, can you give him a pat on the back from me?

An absolutely flawless finale to a generally very good series. He’s now comprehensively done his penance for the 11 O’clock show.,

GeoffC likes this.
  19. Pastafarian

Yet to see the final episode but this series hasn't let the side down, classic, Christmas day may well include binge watching series 1 - 3

20. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

This has to be one of the nicest, gentlest programmes ever to be on TV- everything from the theme tune to the script, to the cinematography is just lovely.

If you judged it by the number of times you actually laughed out loud, it wouldn’t seem like the most successful programme in the world but if you take it for what it is, it’s a triumph.

21. Pastafarian

Not only that but it frequently adds pathos and perhaps one the best portrayals of a couples relationship. I often laugh more on the second or third viewing it's so subtle.

LivingForever likes this.
  22. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Such a fast paced show it's hard for some to keep up. :uhhuh:

I love it!

23. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I’ve loved this show from the start. Beautifully scripted, acted, and filmed. I rarely make time to follow TV series, but this one is worth the effort.

The only negative is that my girlfriend keeps going on about us getting metal detectors!

24. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

But I watch it with a smile on my face.

25. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Favourite show on at the moment. Just the last of series three to watch. Wasn't expecting a third series. Comments made by Crook & Jones gave the impression that'd find it difficult getting together, so this is great.

The first part of this Guardian article [2014] involves Mackenzie Crook.
    'I am the curator of an exhibition no one visits'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.