The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

A few years back CM remastered a number of late-73 classics.

The jam sequence in 24 March 1973 is Off. The. Chain.

rainbow dome, Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  2. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

3. crazylegs69

crazylegs69 Forum Resident

Mine should be arriving tomorrow...

ianuaditis and Erik B. like this.
  4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Home from work and joining in. I'm currently on the super-fast "They Love Each Other".

5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

They're purists. There are those people.

My problem is that if I hear a great sounding segment of a show, or a song, I assume they have the rest of the show in that same quality, so release the whole thing already! But I suppose that's not always the case.

But that's why I was put off by Dozin' At The Knick. Dudes, sell each show of the run separately. That was my thought at the time. I only bought Dozin' 'cuz I was there. But I would have happily snapped up each show on release day, even not being that into the 90s at the time.

If I keep saying "at the time," I'll turn into Grandpa Simpson. I'm sure the younger ones here will marvel at the fact that I'm old enough to have been a full-blown Deadhead with disposable income at the time Dozin' was issued.

Listening to Jerome on They Love Each Other from Lakeland, Fla. '77.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    bzfgt, US Blues, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  6. notesofachord

Dang, this "Greatest Story Ever Told" from 11/9/73 is outstanding. A great version. Jerry is playing some almost honky-tonk lines on this version. Cool.

bzfgt, US Blues, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  7. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Black Peter is one of those songs I always liked, though it could be hit or miss on tapes, and I felt it dragged sometimes. I also remember getting into playing it long ago, (I'm getting a visual image of myself figuring out the chords on my rinky-dink casio keyboard in the house I grew up in, which we moved out of when I turned 18,) but it's taken listening to all these late 69 and 70s shows for me to really come around to it. Every version makes me want to write things that would make @warewolf95 blush.

The best version to date might be from 3-7-70, which I started out describing in my notes as 'the first scuzzy audience recording of 1970.' (I'm anticipating lots of these...) But in reality, it's not a bad recording at all. There's a lot of chatter at the start of Black Peter, but after that little of consequence, and some of the comments e.g. "I can't get enough of this" just after they start Good Lovin', add to the experience IMO.

This is not the first tape I've seen posted by Deadheads from Germany; Euro deadheads get extra brownie points in my book because at least here in the US, howevermuch backlash there may be, the GD are mostly an acknowledged cultural phenomenon, whereas whenever there's one of those 'bands that don't translate' conversations they're the number one answer.

Anyway, a good high energy performance with some unusual segues, and a 'hard rock' I Know You Rider. The singing parts of Lovelight fare better when you can hear the audience react, and there are a couple of blistering jams in between.

Billy_Sunday, Mansley, Zafu and 7 others like this.
  8. notesofachord

The WRS>Eyes>China Doll sequence from 11/9/73 is excellent. While it might rank behind the following night's palindromic magic and 11/11's magnificence, it's delightful in its own right.

warewolf95, bzfgt, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Streaming right now. I enjoy this soundmix much more than the other multitracks mixes from 89-90. I think it sounds less 80s and a bit more organic.
    Brent is the one with the most dated sound but his "saloon" piano is mixed lower compared to the 90s box and that's a good thing

And there are cheesy 80s moments to be heard. The horrible midi solo on FOTD for example. Yikes that was bad.

Other than that, I'm enjoying it so far

Also, I wonder if it's a warts and all approach from Norman? Weir comes in wrong in FOTD, that could easily have been mixed out but it wasn't

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Listening to 3/30/73 this morning. Interesting oddball second set jam. I can't think of another show where Eyes Of The World segued to Not Fade Away.

11. US Blues

10 November 1973- Winterland. The first set portion of the Fractal is a delight. Superb Weather Report Suite Fractal. Palindrome Fractal will have to wait for later.

Billy_Sunday, Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  12. US Blues

20 September 1974- Paris.

13. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

11/10/67!!!!! Everybody play it today!

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Need to listen to that show soon.

US Blues likes this.
  15. Jman92

Jman92 Forum Resident

Could you, or someone else maybe expand on this re: Bob sitting out parts of the second set a few nights earlier? What show was this? And more importantly, why?? I don't know if I've ever heard of a member walking offstage while the rest of the band plays on (obviously excluding the Drums/Space segments). Very curious.

US Blues likes this.
  16. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I was enjoy Road Trips 4.5, especially the relaxed St Stephen and then it got ruined when Eyes was actually Alligator from another show entirely. Got HD Tracks to reset my download with the same problem. Looks like I’m spending another £20 to download 4.5 individually to enjoy the rest of the show properly. Can’t buy Eyes separately anywhere as it’s longer than 10 minutes, unless anyone knows of any download sites where I can buy that track individually?

17. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Try the Russians, they have all kinds of stuff

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  18. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Finding it near impossible surprisingly

Dahabenzapple and bzfgt like this.
  19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]

@US Blues

Billy_Sunday, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  20. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

You might be thinking of 11/20/78, Cleveland. They started the second set without Weir with a long jam in to (of all things) "Jackaroe". He joined for that and played the rest of the set. One of my favorite sets from that year.

21. Frawls

Frawls Forum Resident

Listening to the Oakland 12/28/79 Road Trips release. This has long been my favorite show of the run with the band sounding tight as hell and Jerry singing exceptionally well. I love the portions of 12/30 they threw in as a bonus, too. Great stuff!

22. US Blues

At the show in Cleveland on 20 Nov 1978 Bobby was sick. The band came out for the second set without him and jammed for a while, then Bobby returned and they went into Jack A Roe. As the set continued I believe Bobby may have left the stage again and returned, possibly during the jam after Shakedown St. The crux of it was illness, nothing interpersonal with the band.

PS- Jerry walked off the stage at RFK Stadium on 7 July 1986 during the jam after Playing In The Band. The boys took the jam into Terrapin Station and Jerry came back on-stage. This is a couple of days before his coma, Jerry was already slipping across the borders of consciousness. He later commented that "cabbages were communicating in iambic pentameter" with him as he drifted off. Make of this what you will!

23. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

9013 landed this afternoon.

Now I can finally hear what all the fuss wus about, boyos.

24. Jman92

Jman92 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info! Glad to hear it wasn't over anything interpersonal. That would have surprised me as I believe the Dead are probably the only band I know of where there isn't some infamous blow up between members **while on stage and in front of a paying crowd.**

Privately I'm sure there was plenty of friction from time to time, but it seems to me that once they hit the stage, no matter what was going on with them personally, they always put their best foot forward with one another. Very professional. Can anyone prove me wrong on this?

In fact for a band that was together for as long as they were, I've heard very few (if any) stories regarding anger between members of the band that extended beyond the usual "well screw you too" sentiments that we all share with our good friends from time to time. Granted I haven't read all the books on them, but I've read a good amount. Not that books tell you everything...

Scary to hear that stuff regarding Jerry re: RFK 1986. I've never heard this show....If he was that "out of it" that he didnt realize his band was still actively playing a song on stage, it makes me wonder how the rest of the concert went. Never heard this show before.