Johnny Cash - American Records "Unearthed" Vinyl Box Set. 3rd November 2017 Release Date

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Attack, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

The Original Sun Sound should have said end July.

2. Javier Santivanez

Javier Santivanez Forum Resident

Folks, got the vinyl boxset which was released yesterday. All I can say is that it is a beauty : ), very well done, the album separators that you can see in the picture are very well done, and the pressings are all flat and quiet (I wonder which company presses vinyl for the American Recordings label, as they are usually great). I have not had time to listen much, just picked a coupled of discs to see if they were quite (Check), Flat (Check) and the sound was as expected (Check).

3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I have ordered from UDiscover UK which is still showing as initial and site now states box is sold out. Ordered from Acoustic Sounds who are very good and I have used them before. Will owe a ton of tax and shipping meaning it will cost the same as the UK based sellers who would appear to maybe have some difficulty getting this. Does anyone know if they will be pressing this in Europe for Europe? I assume as American are well American I guess that the set I have ordered and the ones folk above have got are pressed in the USA. Is that correct?
    I always have loved playing the cd set of Unearthed and I did buy a vinyl box with the relevant standalone albums such as Unchained a while back. All good stuff and I foolishly forgot about the Unearthed vinyl set. Looks like this set might not be around for long unless they repress.

4. Just arrived. This is one heavy mother. Beautiful package and art direction. Will hopefully dive into listening tonight.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

oldjollymon, zeitlos, hodgo and 8 others like this.
  5. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

My hype sticker was upside down. I was going to send it back!

Just kidding. It's an amazing box.

6. HA. That's not too far off of what some folks seem to do around here....

Johnny Reb and 500Homeruns like this.
  7. kyodo_dom

kyodo_dom Forum Resident

Truly is a good-looking set. But given the price, I can't understand why the LPs aren't packed in poly-lined inner sleeves rather than plain paper ones. All sorts of debris on LP1 (haven't looked at the others yet). Some crackle on playback, but overall sound is pleasing. Am sure the snap, crackle and pop will come out with a proper clean, but still, poly-lined inners would have been nice...

8. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

I was very surprised to get mine from Amazon Canada today! All the way to Sweden... The estimated arrival date was 15-29 December but it got here in three days! I bought it as a christmas present for myself but now I don't know if I can wait that long to open it.

mrjinks likes this.
  9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Mine was too. I peeled it off and put it on right side up. Then I tore off the shrink wrap and threw it in the trash!

Johnny Reb and 500Homeruns like this.
  10. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Just now spinning disc one. Sounds amazing. What a great package.

Javier Santivanez and Johnny Reb like this.
  11. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Everything was upside down except for the American Recordings logo.;)

Johnny Reb likes this.
  12. Beautiful package and sound great. I have listened to 8 sides so far and only heard a bit of static on a few tracks on record 1 side 2 but nothing earth shaking.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  13. Flaming Torch

Europe release date would seem to be 24th November 2017. Anyone know where the vinyl set out and about in the USA (see above posts) was pressed.

14. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Was it on “banks of the Ohio”?? I think that one is cut hot.

15. The first two tracks on side two. I'm not home and forget which songs and I didn't hear it as too hot but I was playing the records pretty loud. They sounded really good.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Kevin j likes this.
  16. Hgavinyl

Hgavinyl Forum Resident

Mine shipped out today. I can't wait to spin mine on a Sunday!!

17. Flaming Torch

My Unearthed from Acoustic Sounds arrived yesterday and seems to have avoided Mr Customs (unless the fees were included). Anyway it is a lovely box and has worked out a much cheaper release than the forthcoming Europe version that is £300 in price. Jolly quick well packaged delivery to the UK from the USA.
    I always thought there was a lot of material on the Unearthed cds that was actually better than the songs released on the original albums with Rick Rubin. All great stuff and I can imagine listening to this material for many many moons to come. Timeless.

18. gubarenko

gubarenko Guy From Russia

If anyone wouldn't mind adding runout for couple of sides it would make others happier :)

19. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Yeah, it's way to overpriced this side of the pond, I ordered mine from Amazon US, I just hope they packed it well so that it arrives in perfect condition, I also hope the vinyl is well pressed and that there are no pressing problems.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  20. Flaming Torch

Yep I feel we are getting hammered here and we don't get everything despite being a big market for many acts.

hodgo likes this.
  21. zeitlos

zeitlos Music was my first love

I ordered my box a few days ago and it's on its way from the US to Germany now. It's way cheaper in the US than in Germany, that's why I bought it there. However, today I read in a German internet forum that one should avoid the American version, since it's sound quality is said to be bad. That really makes me wonder whether I made a mistake when I ordered it it at an American internet shop.

Can anyone confirm this assessment? Why would the sound differ that much? Are "European" records produced elsewhere? I was looking forward to receiving my box, as it was a Christmas present I wanted to make myself but now I'm struggling with my decision...

22. I have the US box and the signs us great. I had one bad LP out of the nine with lots of crackles. Music Direct in the HS is seeing if they can just swap out the one LP or if the will swap out the entire box.

But the Records sound really good.

23. Flaming Torch

Sorry but I do not know. I have the box from the USA and I cannot see where the records were actually manufactured. Hopefully someone can confirm where the European set that has just been released is manufactured. My records seem fine but I have only played half of them so far.

24. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

Does anyone have info on the mastering, both US and EU? Did Chris Bellman do the cutting again, like The American Recordings boxset? (CB initials in the dead wax).

25. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I’ve been waiting for a good deal on this. Some sites don’t allow a discount at all. Today Barnes and Noble members have access to a 25% discount code that brought the price down to $185. Still expensive but probably about the best it’ll get in the near future. In a couple years it may be available for less unless it goes OOP and escalates in price. Anyway, glad not to miss out.

oldjollymon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.