SACD for autos

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike Campbell, Nov 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident Thread Starter

anyone know if SACD players are available for cars, and if so, who manufactures them ? Thanks.

2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

SACD players for the car were available for a brief period from Sony. I think the benefits of SACD are lost when listening in a car, given the environment, noise, etc.

dav-here, olson, audiomixer and 10 others like this.
  3. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Unless you have a Rolls Royce, the sonic advantages would be wasted.

EDIT: The only advantage, IMO, would be that you could play albums you don't have on any other media.

dav-here and Galley like this.
  4. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I doubt very much that such an animal exists. And if they did exist, I can't see any reason to buy one since cars are so far from an ideal environment to listen in.

But I do know that some were made which played DVD-As though, although I couldn't tell you which ones.

5. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not a Rolls, but close. And yes, I have hundreds of albums, not available on any other media. Hence, the search. Someone out there has one...thanks to all who responded.

6. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Now . . . be very careful. Car players are rough on CDs, which are not nearly as delicate as SACDs. Do you know yet what kind of loading mechanism this player utilizes?

7. fusiongod

fusiongod Forum Resident

Sony MEX-DV2000. Discontinued, but you can find them second hand occasionally.

McLover likes this.
  8. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Aside from test discs and promo samplers, were there really any albums which were SACD-exclusive?

Even if there were, if you copied them to a standard CD you'd never be able to hear the difference in a car.

scobb likes this.
  9. Peacekeepr73

Peacekeepr73 Digitally Remastered Member

I have the Sony MEX-DV2200 and I picked it up complete in the box used on Ebay last year for 120$ after waiting two years for one to get listed. It is a fantastic piece of equipment. It features a very well built slot drive with a nice big display. I use it in my 2000 Volkswagen golf with the stock premium Monsoon audio system amp and speakers. Sure the high resolution is somewhat wasted with the noises associated in the background from a car. However 5.1 surround in a car is a fantastic experience and completely worth the price. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

there are ways to rip an SACD to a computer file and then put that on a USB key, etc. - a small DAC that can be powered off the car battery could do the D to A conversion

No car is an ideal listening env. but the benefits of HiRes might be able to be heard - bad in one way might not be bad in another way.

nm_west likes this.
  11. Sure, in classical music. Many of the classical labels jumped in early on SACD.

12. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

I have two vehicles with factory DVD-Audio players, a LaCrosse and an Enclave. Believe it or not, multi-channel titles sound fantastic. Especially Lynyrd Skynyrd Southern Surroundings.

PhilBiker likes this.
  13. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

What speaker plays the center channel audio?

14. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

I bet that new $1,000 Sony head unit will play hires...

15. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

In both the Enclave and LaCrosse, there is a speaker in the middle of the top, horizontal surface of the dashboard below the windshield.

16. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I can see how SACD and DVD-A can be appreciated in a relative quiet vehicle such as those Buicks.

17. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

And those albums have never since been released in any other format?

18. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

I always said if Sony would have pushed 5.1 in car stereos, SACD would have been bigger. If they had got current acts to produce stunning 5.1 releases that kids would do like, then car SACD would have propelled it farther. But that is just my theory.

Beyond Salvation likes this.
  19. Claude

Claude Senior Member

No, I don't think there is any album - except SACD demo samplers - which was only released on single layer SACD. Of course there are many hi-rez remasterings which were only done for single layer SACDs and not available in other hi-rez formats.

The many classical labels which made single inventory releases used hybrid SACDs, which play in any car CD player.

20. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

My old Acura RL had an excellent DVD-A player so I could hear surround sound - the Beatles' Love and the Doors Perception box were favorites. Now I can only listen to standard red-book.

dav-here likes this.
  21. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

In the 1970s some luxury cars had quadraphonic 8-track players. That never really took off either.

[​IMG]

22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Where's the logical satisfaction of sitting in the front-left corner of a quad or 5.1 soundstage? I see the logical solution to 5.1 is having the center channel coming from the rear rather from the console; in the sceme of things though, does it make sense to drivers to have the stereo spread feel bass-ackwards in a small listening space of the cockpit of a car?

23. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

The Audis have a DVD-V system so they can play that layer. Beware if you’re looking for used copies of the Warner group DVD-A’s, though, as their coding doesn’t always allow for proper sequencing between tracks. Surround discs coded as a DVD-V, such as the Tull reissues, play perfectly.

24. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

That was sure helpful to the OP. Well done.

25. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Most high end car systems will include a DSP setting that focuses on the driver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.