KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

It would have been great to have your come by for sure! He elaborated on the timing and counted as I played the intro (I've tried to do both at the same time but can't lol). I'm not good at analyzing time signatures aside from 3/4, 4/4, but have no problem feeling odd ones and where to phrase things, etc.

Rehearsal is always fun, I love to play and the band I'm in is totally self-indulgent. We only do material we want to play (which is generally rock/hard rock mainly from the '60's to '80) and don't care to cater to the "Brown Eyed Girl"/dance/pop crowd. We get more then enough work and people like that fact we do material that you don't hear a lot in clubs, if at all (songs like "Aqualung", "E.T.I", "Lazy", "Heard It On The X"). Everybody wins!

We don't play too loud at rehearsal, even the drummer uses an electronic kit (the greatest thing ever, a drum set with a volume control heh) and, while we definitely play louder live (with real drums lol), we don't get too crazy with the volume. Too many years of standing in front of Marshall stacks with drummers that hit very hard and coupled with monster sized bass rigs has taken it's toll on all of us o_O

Try to go easy on your neighbors ha!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  2. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Ah, back when KISS ruled the world...sweet pics!

William Smart and npgchris like this.
  3. Stratoblaster

:p I'm fresh out of blank cassettes....!

William Smart likes this.
  4. Stratoblaster

Arg just when we all thought we had it all figured out you have to drop this on us eh??? :faint:

5. Stratoblaster

Yea, I have to agree with this 100%...Paul has been pretty rough vocally for some years now but they still keep filling seats somehow (and selling used microphones for big, big $$$$ heh).

6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

This got me thinking about the box set - since vinyl certainly has had a resurgence, I wonder what it would cost to buy this set on vinyl if they decided to press it today? It would be a 10 record box for sure.

When vinyl was dead in 2001, I bet it would have been no more than $125 to buy it.

And what they should have done for Kissteria was make this an exclusive vinyl
    piece - not a reissued copy of freaking Double Platinum!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    GodShifter and William Smart like this.
  7. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Awwwww next time then. We'll have us a Rock & Roll Party...... now where did I hear that before?...... hmmmmm:goodie::pineapple::bdance::cheers:

Stratoblaster likes this.
  8. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

In the 6th pic, Paul looks like a Geisha with a top knot. (Because of the way it looks when he's jumping.) I would have loved to have seen them on that tour.

9. William Smart

GodShifter likes this.
  10. dadonred

I'd like "Makin' Love" just for the drum sounds on the outro...

William Smart and npgchris like this.
  11. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

The one where you can see the entire crowd is awesome!!

12. dadonred

There is NOTHING like when the lights go down and you can see flashlights and you know the band is there as the crowd noise builds. Gosh, I wish someone could capture THAT sound and feeling!

13. dadonred

It probably goes without saying that it must have been an amazing experience to have been a member of KISS from '76 to '78. I mean, to see your dream completely fulfilled, to be acknowledged for amazing music, to be able to put any of your touring ideas into action. The colors, excitement, enjoyment, and power of it all. And to go that far in a mere 3 yrs. I mean, it still amazes me today.

14. William Smart

Say what? Can you... I SAY CAN YOU SPEAK UP? I CANT HEAR YOU!!

Stratoblaster likes this.
  15. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Too loud? You are too old. That is what I tell them. Of course I have around two "friends". :o:D

npgchris and William Smart like this.
  16. dadonred

Poll:

"She" or "Watching you"?

"Parasite" or "Rock Bottom"?

"Strutter" or "Deuce"?

17. dadonred

Mine: "She", "Parasite" and "Deuce"

(I didn't say this would be easy...)

I love the bridge in "She" and the intro too much. I love the solo turnaround in "Parasite" uber alles. And I love the frenetic pace of "Deuce" and it's gene-y Mc gene-y-ness.

18. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

This makes me think how little they used these stairs...in fact, I can’t think of another live concert photo that shows it...must be too risky in them boots....
    KISS 1977 @ MSG - 08

dadonred, npgchris and William Smart like this.
  19. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

She over Watching You. She was one of the first KISS songs I really loved and I didn't 'get' Watching You for a long time.

Rock Bottom over Parasite. Love the RB intro and how short the actual song part is.

Strutter over Deuce and this one isn't close. Always loved Strutter and only recently have I come around to Deuce and even then I think it's a bit overrated.

20. William Smart

If it's too loud you're too old right?
    Or you're never too old to Rock & Roll if you're too young to die?or is it If you can't hear us, don't worry about it, you're probably dead?
    I confuse myself too easily, but one of those usually works. At least you got two friends, they're probably good friends too I warrant.
    all's I got is this pet rock for a friend and I think he's deaf!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Rose River Bear likes this.
  21. William Smart

I agree, no doubts at all!

dadonred likes this.
  22. D.B.

D.B. Forum Resident

I have to say thay Gene did crack a couple of good jokes during the show as well... "We're four happy go lucky guys who like to wear a bit of make-up"...And had a good laugh or two. He was obviously just confused about what to project, as a few of you have noted. Definitely not relaxed...

William Smart, 24voltsdc and npgchris like this.
  23. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Watchin You
    Parasite
    Ooh the last one is tough, those are the two that converted me, but I think I'll go with Strutter

William Smart, dadonred and npgchris like this.
  24. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

HAHA, WTF?? There are more KISS songs?? :help:

I hope nobody takes this personally because I've loved every bit of the 8 months or so I have spent coming here and the discussions we've had but I am soooooooooooooooo burnt on KISS right now and being away has only reinforced the idea that I'm spent on discussing Gene and Paul.

If it is any consolation this is the longest, by far, I've ever participated in a single thread on this forum and that's mainly because of the company (you guys).

The Stones are my favorite band and you'll barely ever see me in those threads either because I just get burnt on discussing them also because by now I've heard/read it all... and KISS doesn't rank anywhere near my top ten.

If you're starting a VH thread I'll check in but my time is going to become more and more limited as the holidays approach. Perhaps we could postpone that until January if and when this thread ever wraps itself up? My fear is that by the time it does there will be a new KISS album out and we'll need to discuss it...LOL :yikes:

This was a huge undertaking and one of the greatest threads on here, no doubt, and I'm proud to have been a part of it, but it's been over for me for awhile now. I haven't been passionate about musical discussions for a long time (this thread was the exception) as I much prefer to just listen and make new musical discoveries which is why I spend most of my time in the "What Are You Listening To Now" threads, lots of variety and stuff I haven't heard before.

Discussing how Honky Tonk Women should have replaced Country Honk on Let It Bleed lulls me to sleep. The album is nearly 50 years old...leave it alone already...LOL..

Eh, hope you get what I'm saying...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  25. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Post the link in this thread when you start it. Not sure how much I'll participate but I'm interested since I've now heard the Roth albums because of this thread. I have noticed an increase in album-by-album threads since this one has been going. I looked at a Beatles album by album thread that just started and the feeling did not compare to the crowd here. Nor did the quality of the discussion. I don't think I could be a part of a Beatles thread. There are too many opinions there to enjoy it the way it was done here. Anyone ever listen to the podcast Fabcast? While I enjoy the depth of the discussion, the hosts are wayyyy too effusive in their feelings particularly about John and Paul. I think these guys are in love with them. It should've been called Fabwank because it sounds like guys trying to reach orgasm by talking about The Beatles. And they achieve it.