Beatles 1987 cd Packaging and Manufacture Questions in USA

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RnRmf, Aug 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member Thread Starter

Here are some pics (over the next 3 posts) of Beatles longbox issues that I *think* were from a warehouse club like Costco/BJ's/etc.
    I doubt any original longbox had the sticker over the top, especially at the $12.99 price that's listed.
    Check out the Sgt. Pepper's longbox versus the one in the post, above. Did this box style exist in the 80's as well? I vaguely remember seeing a variation on eBay and reading mention of one in this thread.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RnRmf

Revolver - Is this design the same as the original issue?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. RnRmf

Abbey Road - Is this design the same as the original issue?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. No these longboxes are different than the original issues and are much later. Likely warehouse membership clubs.

Why?

1. EMI/Capitol switched from the CDP 7 xxxxx-2 catalog number for rock/jazz CDs in the 90s to the barcode format 07777-xxxxx-2-y

So the above Abbey Road went from CDP 7 46446-2 to 07777-46446-2-4.
    2. Much more recent Parlophone logo.
    3. Apple Records logo added
    4. Internet address for Capitol

These discs may be from the 2000s.

5. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Wow, interesting box variations! I had that standard Pepper one from 1987. Even though I've never seen these my shot in the dark guess would be they are from a little later on in cd history, possibly because they are priced cheaper. $13 bucks would have been a sweet deal for a new-release Beatles cd in 1987 though.

6. RnRmf

Ha, I completely overlooked the internet address so ingrained is that kind of information, these days.

7. Mike1055

Mike1055 Forum Resident

I just looked at mine all four made in W-Germany but "Help" and "Revolver" both say Stereo on the disc.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  8. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

The fact that Help and Revolver were 5th and 7th might have something to do with that...
    :)

9. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

Hmm. Mine's 149599, if anyone wants to keep track :)

Also, none of my Canadian discs are made in Japan - they're all made by Disque Americ in Canada, except "Help!," which was made by CINRAM (Both that and "Rubber Soul" are the original mixes, by the way).

Duophonic likes this.
  10. Mike1055

Mike1055 Forum Resident

guess I'm not that big of a Beatles fan. Could have sworn I bought these together when first released. They are the first four on my shelf.

mrjinks likes this.
  11. Ivan

Ivan Forum Resident

Sgt Pepper and Past Masters are the only CDs in the correct slot. It's one of those things that now that I've noticed it's really bothering me... :laugh:

Dan The Man1 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  12. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

The Breadboxes were made for three formats, as you can see two of them:
    CD and Cassette sets. There was a third: an LP Breadbox (I have the CD and LP box only):
    [​IMG]

13. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

The “white album” is, too, because it won’t fit in any other slot. In fact, I think the Past Masters aren’t in the correct slots because Magical Mystery Tour was in the last slot originally.

14. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

It also came with a miniature and extremely condensed booklet of Lewisohn’s Recording Sessions

15. Anthology123

I did not buy the sets in the breadboxes, they were sold empty at Tower Records in LP and CD. I noticed the cassette box, but only the one with the cassettes and I was not interested, I already had the whole LP collection (70's EMI imports) and the 1987 CDs. Each empty box did come with the booklets.

Dan The Man1 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  16. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

The Beatles music has continued to last, but those 80's hairstyles did not.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I read the US remaster CDs hadn't the Apple logo on the first pressings. So, was it the same with the EU released CDs?

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  18. Anthology123

You are correct in that assessment. The US CDs that were first released in 1987 all had the Parlophone logo, all the way to Let It Be (and Past Masters). The later reissues of the 1987 CDs changed to the Apple label.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Well, all of my (EU) 1987 CDs have both the Parlophone and Apple logo on the inlays.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

My original 1987 discs have no Apple logo, only later issues got them. Left is original W. German issue, right later Holland issue.

[​IMG]

21. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

It was a pressing plant mixup, and was well documented at the time (ICE Magazine if memory serves).

22. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

If memory serves, in the U.S., the Apple logo was added to the CD and the tray artwork in 1991. This held true for not only the Beatles catalog, but for the solo titles as well.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

23. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

My 1987 US CD’s (bought in the SF area in July ‘87) are all made in the USA. Later CD’s bought in the Atlanta area in July ‘88 are DADC but all made in the USA. My White Album (bought in the Fall of ‘87) has a number and discs are made in Japan. The only Sonopress disc I have is Let It Be. Every US CD bought in 1987 or 1988 came in a longbox.

RnRmf likes this.
  24. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I've never even heard of the LP version. :shrug: Txs for that! :edthumbs:

25. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

I think I started seeing the Apple logo show up around that time too. It was definitely on the labels (the ones that I saw anyways) when they did official versions of the Red and Blue albums and Live at the BBC #1.

John Buchanan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.