R.E.M´s 'Automatic for the People' reissue confirmed for 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Dec 31, 2016.

1. If my local has it, which I assume they do, I'll chime in later this evening on the sound of the vinyl.

Bob M. likes this.
  2. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

Sound is quite punchy, I think. I'm undecided yet if I like this or not...
    Side A has hardly any dead wax. Makes it prone to inner groove distortion. I did not notice any on the first spin though. But I think I heard a few non-fill patches on track 9 (Star Me Kitten). Will need to inspect that further later.

So far I would say it's a mediocre reissue only, far from great. Will be interesting to hear from others though.

Bob M., Paully and Porkpie like this.
  3. Mean Dorris

Mean Dorris Well-Known Member

I have the UK version, a nice quiet pressing generally at least, but unfortunately I have 3 or 4 repeated crunches (non fill?) right at the end of the final track which kind of spoils it all somewhat...

Not sure if I should return and exchange

4. gdruncle

gdruncle Well-Known Member

Anyone listened to the Blu-ray yet? Any good?

calgary669, oneway23 and IronWaffle like this.
  5. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

anyone try the hi-res files? ProStudioMasters has 96/24 at $25

6. 007james

007james Forum Resident

well, i ordered the Blu-ray version over 3 weeks ago from amazon, showed out for delivery this morning and now delivery has been delayed for a month, anyone else having delays???? I at least received 1 month extra on from from amazon but still disappointed with the delay ........

ccbarr likes this.
  7. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I preordered my set on September 19th from Amazon and didn't receive it today. Tracking says they are preparing it for shipment, if they do send it I won't get it til Monday at the soonest. Though that is better than 1 month like in your case. Hope your set arrives soon.

8. I went to one of my locals who always has new releases. No deluxe no vinyl today. Just the 2 cd set. I’m waiting for the LP

ccbarr likes this.
  9. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Strange, I wonder if there was some error that prevented the set from coming out, with an album like this they would have to expect they are going to sell a good number of sets.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. HappyFunMiles

HappyFunMiles Forum Resident

Same boat. I cancelled my order this morning and ordered it through Target (!) for seven bucks less. It's already shipped and will arrive on Tuesday.

11. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Amazon.ca shows a release date of November 17th, for what it’s worth.

12. 007james

007james Forum Resident

"1 month extra of amazon prime " typo correction .......

13. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Was really looking forward to digging into this set over the weekend. Oh well, I have plenty of music to listen to, including the new Listen Without Prejudice box set.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

I really like it - The brickwalling is slight and the demos are nice and Byrdsy. Probably the best reissue yet

Sean Murdock likes this.
  15. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Got the 2 disc CD (can't do Atmos and don't care). Sounds very dynamic but not aggressively so (like the others).
    Really digging it!

16. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Forum Resident

What do you get if you pop the Blu-ray into a non Dolby Atmos player? Can you still get Dolby HD?

17. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

The previous remaster was the DVD-A, right? From memory that had good dynamic range. Looks as if they took a step backwards with this reissue.

18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Yes! It will default to Dolby TrueHD.

coffeetime and beasandpeans like this.
  19. DazNEUK

DazNEUK Well-Known Member

Up on HD Tracks as 24/192 album only or 24/96 for the album/live show.

20. mep

mep Forum Resident

My Deluxe Set arrived yesterday, so no delay at all with this release here in Germany. But very, very pricey. Payed around 85€. First impressions: It´s an LP-Sized Box Set with an OBI-Strip! Who´d thought it would come with one of those ? The Book is also almost LP-Sized and with a glossy feel to it. Nice! The Discs are below the book in their own little cut-out spots, but just in those budget cardboard sleeves. A bit underwhelming for such a high priced item. Overall the set is nice looking, but I would have preferred if they had stayed with the OOT-Design from last year. Everything would have fit in there too and the Book wouldn´t really need to be as big as it is now. But it´s a nice set nevertheless and I´m now looking forward hearing the Demos on Disc 3...

Binni likes this.
  21. DazNEUK

Love to see unboxing videos with the artists, looks cool.

22. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Forum Resident

Michael has left behind his homeless hobo chic. When did this happen?

23. DazNEUK

beasandpeans likes this.
  24. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Looking at his instagram, it happened in mid-September..

beasandpeans likes this.
  25. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

I’ve said it before, this is a perfect candidate for a two record 45 rpm release. Someday maybe...

Deano6 and Johan1880 like this.