The Black Crowes - Amorica -- What's your favorite song?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick_sh, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Yes - it was by the band's archivist on a tracker known as the Roadhouse. I don't have a link for you specifically (I do have the kink) but because it's an invite only kind of thing - you need to sign in there to access it and you won't be able to because the admin would have to personally create your account there for you.

2. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

The sessions were in Levon Helm's "barn", which was where we would host his rambles. The Crowes set up there for 3 or 4 weeks to record, and on the weekends (think it was Saturday and Sunday) they sold tickets and you could attend the live recording sessions. I think it holds around 200 people -- very small, practically sitting on their gear -- I could have reached out for a few cymbal crashed if I wanted to. It was a very casual event, so not really like a meet and greet type thing with the band but they were just hanging out. You could bring in your own booze, there was a potluck type thing, and you'd just find yourself standing beside one of the band members and chatting for a few minutes, usually about how cool the venue was.

They ran through most of the songs that ended up on that double album a few times and some that did not make the cut, usually with a different variations and a few stops and starts as they figured out what they wanted to do or technical issues to solve. Chris would just chat with the audience while they were setting up or tuning. Then finished with a few covers just for fun -- likely about a three hour evening

ARK, ShawnX and Fullbug like this.
  3. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Gotta agree. "Descending" may be my favorite Black Crowes song of all (and there's stiff competition).

Carserguev likes this.
  4. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I remember reading a funny comment when they were doing these sessions/shows that Chris saw someone texting on his cell phone and said something along the lines of "sure, go ahead and tell your buddy the songs are OK, but it's no 'Southern Harmony..."

ARK and mick_sh like this.
  5. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond Thread Starter

True. Southern Harmony is Crowes' Sticky Fingers and Amorica is their Exile on Main St.

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Wiser Time- no contest!

ARK likes this.
  7. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Poor old P25 London and Downtown Money Waster, no votes for them yet. Admittedly, both could probably have been left off the album and it wouldn't have hurt it all, though I enjoy them. Money Waster is much better in its live, electric-with-drums format.

Hep Alien and mick_sh like this.
  8. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Yeah, there were some funny lines from Chris the night I was there, wish I could remember them but he had some roller skater comments about I Ain't Hiding -- it was a live off-the-floor recording so they asked the audience to be quite, and I remember right at the end of one of the more quite songs a guy in back must have been leaning over for a better view, fell off his chair and crashed into a fireplace grate. A huge crash.

I think we attended the 2nd weekend, and by then there was a no phone policy as people had been recording clips from the weekend before.

Anyway, don't want to hijack the thread -- for me, Amorica was the middle of an incredible three runs of albums. Ironically, at the time of release it did not really grab me.

9. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Love the whole album, but Wiser Time is an ALL TIME fave for me, so it gets the vote. :love:

johnny 99 and ARK like this.
  10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I disagree that it wouldn't have hurt the album. I really like "P.25 London" and would put it above a few others on that album (never liked Conspiracy or Nonfiction), but "Downtown Money Waster" was always better live. The way they usually performed it on the 3 Snakes tour was awesome. Much better than the percussion-less, jangly album arrangement.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I first heard Nonfiction on Saturday Night Live in 1992 (fall/winter time) - Marc's guitar tone and solo on that song were really impressive for me. I had always wondered what that song was The Crowes played on TV that night. Then amorica came out and the song was on there - Nonfiction! I still liked it but in my mind - the Saturday Night Live version was it and the amorica version didn't quite get it for me - still good though - don't get me wrong!

The holy trinity for the Crowes is Southern Harmony, amorica and Three Snakes - SOLID all around! Unfortunately the Crowes never matched that BUT there could've been a 4th album after Three Snakes and that was the album 'Band' (1997) (that was unreleased at the time) - it's solid for me as well.

Hep Alien and mark renard like this.
  12. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

I don't know, "Dirty Hair Halo" re-recorded by JJ Puig for the Amorica sessions would make me forget about P25 London pretty quickly. Honestly, the Crowes didn't have any songs I actually dislike until the Warpaint era.

Rhett likes this.
  13. roggae

roggae Well-Known Member

wasn't this supposed to be reissued?

14. roggae

roggae Well-Known Member

15. Gammondorf

Gammondorf Forum Resident

Ballad>Wiser really captures the epicness of Amorica for me. Can't really separate the 2 songs (so I voted Ballad).

While I think Southern Harmony is their best album (it's probably the best rock record of the 90s) I think Amorica is the most Crowes-sounding album, if that makes sense.

The 4 LP run of SHAMC>Amorica>3SAOC>Band is amazing.

16. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Wiser Time

ARK likes this.
  17. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Awesome album. Descending for me. To me, this is the Tuesday's Gone of the Black Crowes catalog. It seems almost a mistake they could create such a beautiful song, the one that makes you play it again and again and wish to hell you could come up with something like this. I guess it's maybe the piano part that takes my mind back to Tuesday's Gone, my favorite Skynyrd song.

18. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Love Shake Your Money Maker and Southern Harmony but can't really get into this album the same way. However, have to say that I absolutely love Wiser Time. Classic track and was a pleasure to see Rich do it on his recent solo tour.

19. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

Been listening to this a lot lately. Really miss this era of music. Really miss the Black Crowes. Really love Sunflower!

20. Shem the Penman

Shem the Penman Forum Resident

Listening to CRB Big Moon Ritual right now, tremendous album. I'm admittedly more into the jammy/Dead style stuff over the bar band/Faces type Crowes, but if you haven't dug deeply into CRB it's well worth it.

DrBeatle and macdaddysinfo like this.
  21. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Me too.

ARK likes this.
  22. agentalbert

I've got a question about CD issues of this album. It was my understanding that the tracks "Song Of The Flesh" and "Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz" first appeared with the 1998 remastered "Sho' Nuff" box set and also on some individual remasters. There are a ton of listings for this album at Discogs and there are several issues with these tracks that purport to be from 1994. I ordered one from someone, but it turned out to be a later re-issue of the 1998 remaster. Does anyone know of an appearance on CD prior to the 1998 remasters of those two tracks? I don't think they were even on any singles, were they?

23. agentalbert

Another Amorica question, if anyone can help. The song "High Head Blues" has a runtime of 4:00 on the album. There are singles with a short edit (3:20) and one lableled as "extended version" but with a runtime of 4:01, only one second more than the album version. Is this actually any different? Has anyone heard this? Here is the single I'm referring to:

The Black Crowes - High Head Blues / A Conspiracy

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I have this single and to the best of my memory, it's the exact same as the album version. Presumably, they added "extended version" to differentiate it from the "short edit" but it would have made things simpler if they just called it "LP/album version" instead.

25. agentalbert

Thanks. Looking at other singles, there are four listed versions, but probably only three in actuality it seems.

short edit - 3:18
    long edit - 3:28
    album version - 4:00
    "extended version" - 4:01 - probably exactly the same as the album version.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Hep Alien and FourWalledWorld like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.