T. Rex - Electric Warrior - Kevin Gray AAA Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GentleSenator, Oct 26, 2017.

1. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

Got this today from Sunrise in St Catherines. I didn't see it when I looked around so I asked at the counter and they had 1 copy in the back room. Sounds great. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread it would be great if the Slider could be remastered to equal this (it's my favorite T Rex LP). I have an original Canadian copy of the Slider (bought new) but it doens't compare to this remaster for sure.

2. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

can you share a link mate? i cant find it? seems out of stock?

3. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

from Amazon or an Amazon third-party seller?

4. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

Hope so sirmarc
    Got link on here am
    Sorry I ordered it last week from the link on this. amazon.com . They're out of stock now I think.you might get on third party sellers

SirMarc likes this.
  5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

No - I have already ordered from elsewhere - I wondered whether Amazon were selling direct - as they would probably deduct UK import duty at source. Just thinking on behalf of others...

6. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

I don't need to read old reviews, I was there at the time. I was one of those who bought it, as did many of my schoolfriends, most of whom didn't put Marc in the same bag as the likes of Sweet or the other bands that followed, and Electric Warrior was a large part of that. We were educated rock fans, we'd been brought up on Stones, Beatles, Dylan etc, we knew what we had, a great record that wasn't the single with a load of filler. You've really no idea how clued in a lot of 12 year olds were back then, music was the thing; 71 was one of the greatest years ever for rock music and Bolan held his own. After 'Hot Love' and 'Get It On', EW was hugely anticipated and didn't let us down. So certainly, some knew EW was a great record, just like we knew The Slider was a great record.

Oh yeah, Christagau gave it a B...

Electric Warrior [Warner Bros., 1972]
    As an acoustic warrior, back when he spelled out his group's first name and did concept albums about unicorns, Marc Bolan was considered "progressive," which meant he was as foolish as Donovan but not as famous. A freak hit turned him into a singer of rhythmic fairy tales for British pre-pubes, exactly what he was always suited for, and the great "Bang a Gong" extends his subject matter into the rock myth itself, which has its limits but sure beats unicorns. Now if he'd only recycle a few more pop readymades I could stop complaining about fey. B

So, someone who seems to think it was good, rather than great. But, the people who decided it was a great record are the same type who bought Ziggy, Aladdin, Transformer and those early Roxy albums - that crowd.

As for Slade, all the music from that era is dated. Metal Guru is every bit as dated as Cum On Feel The Noize. If you think about it Visconti's production dates music more than just about anyone, it's that distinctive. But, who cares if music is dated, more often than not what really dates this old stuff is how f*****g great it is.:)

7. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

thank you guys. no links are shown. i don't like 3rd party sellers from amazon, as they have higher postal expenses to Europe. amazon is 7 euros only... i can see the vinyl is out of stock. but perhaps there is another link i can't see?

8. Ludger

Ludger ISthisALLreal, ISthisALLnecessary, ORisTHISaJOKE?

[QUOTE="mr.datsun, post: 17516175, member: 44212"

Yes. All the singles from Ride A White Swan to Sold Gold Easy Action. Including all the fantastic b-sides.[/QUOTE]

What - no 20th Century Boy?

mr.datsun likes this.
  9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

What - no 20th Century Boy?[/QUOTE]

Yes - that one too. :)

Ludger likes this.
  10. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

My dear fellow European friends, why don’t you order from Barnes & Noble? I have just received my second copy, 28€ shipped to Spain. It’s the cheapest way to get it delivered to Europe, as has been stated several times in this thread.

DrZhivago, Ludger and superstar19 like this.
  11. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

What - no 20th Century Boy?[/QUOTE]
    The classic era T.Rex is by most people considered to be from Ride a White Swan to The Groover, the straight run of UK top 5 singles.

Ludger likes this.
  12. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

I did go there but only have the 2014 album listed on the website.

13. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Not really, click on "See all formats & editions" under the CD edition, then choose Vinyl LP tab. That's Kevin's. ;)

14. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Fair enough since some people actually still believe "Low" & "'Heroes'" were produced by Brian Eno:evil:

Yep, DeFries, the fact that Bowie was pretty lazy during "The Man Who Sold The World" even with the deadline looming and because Bolan started to take off big time made him focus exclusively on T.Rex from late 1971 onwards. Until Marc got megalomania and Bowie called him to the rescue when he ran into trouble finishing "Diamond Dogs". Visconti stayed until 1982 when Bowie rather harshly informed him through Coco that his services weren't needed for "Let's Dance". Which resulted in a communication breakdown that lastet years. He could at least have done that call himself: "Never Let Me Down":evil:

bob60 and mr.datsun like this.
  15. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

How long are people typically waiting for a Barnes and Noble order from the UK? I ordered on 31st Oct and [EDIT], it was shipped on 2nd Nov. Worried the customs team have delayed it.

16. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

I’m feeling left out as I haven’t had a turntable in years....
    I wish that the KG mastering could be put onto disc...

17. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Is there a CD version currently in the US? Maybe they will make one from the same master. Of course the sound from a vinyl cut will not directly make to to CD as it is partly created in the process. You'll have to hope for a needle-drop :).

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Groggy likes this.
  18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

19. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Discogs is often wrong. Whose initials are in the deadwax?

GentleSenator likes this.
  20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Still waiting for mine :(

Discogs says this about the runout

• Matrix / Runout (Hand Etched, Side 1): R1-6466-A KPG@CA 28280.1(3)...
    • Matrix / Runout (Hand Etched, Side 2): R1-6466-B KPG@CA 28280.2(3)...

21. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

Does anyone know how limited this release is? I already have a copy, but was thinking about picking up another.

22. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

it doesn't work that way...

23. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

jeez! if it's limited why don't you let someone else get it instead of hording copies.

e.s., recstar24, MoonPanda and 5 others like this.
  24. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

This reissue is not limited, it was created to replace the previous Rhino Vinyl cut.

25. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I think it's limited to 1000 copies per Steve Hoffman forum member.

recstar24 and notesofachord like this.