The Who Sell Out 50 years later: song by song discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NothingBrightAboutIt, Nov 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

It was also Backtrack 9: The Who - The Who Sell Out

And 5 of the tracks were on Backtrack 4: Who* / Hendrix* - Backtrack 4

Dodoz likes this.
  2. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Very nice! Backtack was a budget collection I think, so it was an affordable way to get "Sell Out".
    Lacking visually, but there's the music at least...

varitone likes this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think it might have sold OK on it's original issue, in the first year of release. It doesn't seem all that rare for an album that is supposed to have sold poorly.

4. dee

dee Senior Member

FWIW I like to look at it 'upside down' ('everything is upside down') ;) as that to me is clearly a representation of Townshend's face (in the body). Love the colors and design on that poster...

HappyFingers likes this.
  5. dee

dee Senior Member

When Pete felt it had come to something like a piece of work like Tommy or bust for the band, some more seriousness was required, as Sell Out was indeed still followed up by some more dashes of creative whimsy and weirdness, with Dogs, a band version of Magic Bus, John's Jekyll and Hide, Now I'm A Farner, Postcard, and Little Billy. It didn't quite get to Lifehouse-WN/Quad from Sell Out overnight. Pete'a demos like Cookin' and maybe a few other demos I can't think of to name still have some sort of sense of humor about them, BUT some of the lighter, more 'poppy' and 'fun' stuff perhaps - a few of Pete's Quad demos like Get Inside, You Came Back, and then Girl In A Suitcase, the band didn't record or maybe hear so that was unfortunate, imo, in the grand scheme of Who World. Sorry to go OT!!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  6. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Little Billy :love:What a beautiful song this is.
    Yeah, Pete had a "thing" for overweight people. It's one of the first things he said to a french journalist he was kinda friends with, that he had not seen in a while, in the late 70s. "You put on weight and that's unbearable and :blah:".
    When the said journalist reminded Pete of this in the 2000s, Pete admitted it was quite an unfair thing to say as he was dabbling with heroin and alcohol at the time.

Fullbug, Shaddam IV and dee like this.
  7. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident Thread Starter

What's for tea, Mum?

Recorded: Ocrober 1967 at De Lane Lea, London

"Heinz Baked Beans"
    features the talents of "The Ox" himself, having written, provided vocals, and played his trademark french horn. What's for tea? Heinz baked beans, of course.

EasterEverywhere, dee and Dodoz like this.
  8. NothingBrightAboutIt

It's obviously not a stand-out track, but "Heinz" always puts a smile on my face, especially Entwistle's different voices. Some great drumming by Moon too, anybody who expected them to just be some Mod group were in for a surprise with this.

The way each commercial transitions to the next track on Side A is incredible, but the one between "Heinz" and "Mary Anne" ("MORE MUSIC MORE MUSIC") might be one of my favourites, it makes you get excited for what's coming next.

dee, Shaddam IV and Dodoz like this.
  9. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Who would have thought these ads and jingles would bear repeated listens? I don't think I ever skipped them. "Heinz Bakes Beans" is part of the experience.

10. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I discovered this album when I was 16. I only owned about 40 or 50 albums at that point. To say it was an essential piece of my appreciation of great pop music would be an understatement.

"Heinz Baked Beans" is a hoot.

11. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

This is an album I knew of but it was one of the last ones I checked out. And it's easily one of my favorite Who albums.
    Armenia City In the Sky:
    We start with a horn section trading off with vocoder vocals saying the days of the week before the song begins proper at :28, locking into this psychedelic groove before Roger comes in at :41, and I really love the lighter vocal, and we should mention Entwistle and Moonie, they're being their usual awesome selves. I love this track, one of my favorite Who songs and a great way to kick off the album.

NothingBrightAboutIt likes this.
  12. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Love the album, but I've never really warmed to the opening track. I don't feel bad saying that because they didn't even write it! Honestly, I don't get why they recorded it. Was Pete lacking material?

turnersmemo likes this.
  13. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

He wasn't, when you see the kind of material that was used as bonus tracks on reissues.
    Some were written after the recording of the album but some are contemporary.

dee and Shaddam IV like this.
  14. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Oh definitely. Some of that bonus material is part of the album as far as I'm concerned. I always sequence it in on a playlist.

15. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I am curious to know (having spent most visits to supermarkets in other countries marvelling at the wares in display); how many non-Brits have ever had Heinz Baked Beans? Are they a common foodstuff outside of the UK?

Beans on toast is a timeless and cheap tradition for a quick meal up and down this weird little island.

landerstnkb likes this.
  16. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I've always thought so. Ditto the background vocals on Tommy and other later tracks.

chacha likes this.
  17. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Pete was into the Beach Boys, as was Keith (but only the early stuff).
    Pete was even into "Smiley Smile", "Friends", this kind of stuff.

Fullbug likes this.
  18. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I got this album when I was 13 I think. Around 1980. I was taken with it right away. Particularly the song Rael.

Of course in 1995 I bought the re-issue. And in 2009 - I bought it again. Glittering Girl is one of my favorite Keith studio performances.

dee, notesofachord and Dodoz like this.
  19. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Canned beans in tomato sauce were a cheapo evening meal at times but I never had Heinz Baked Beans or beans on toast.

20. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

There is a British food section at the store I go to. I once bought a can of those just for the can.

Jimmy Cooper likes this.
  21. NothingBrightAboutIt

Never had beans on toast, it's either just plain beans here, or beans and weenies if you get creative.

22. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Same here.

Fullbug likes this.
  23. CrazyBrown

CrazyBrown Forum Resident

I love John doing the various voices in the track, reminds me of Ain't Got No Home.

The music reminds me of Cobwebs and Strange. The slow build keeps a somewhat repetitive song from getting boring.

24. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

Revolver, Pet sounds and later Sgt Pepper plus countless albums inspired by them, brought immense joy to my life and I am grateful to them.

HappyFingers and Spazaru like this.
  25. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

that's cool; most people agree with you; I'm just more into simple rock and roll; different strokes and all that

905 and Jimmy B. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.