Let's talk about E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Solaris, Aug 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My parents did it with me when I was ten so, depending on the kid, it could be believable or at least not a huge stretch for latchkey kids. We had specific rules I had to follow if I was there by myself.

We had neighbors close by that kept an eye on us if an emergency occurred though so I don't think it is necessarily much of a stretch and he did have an older brother that was supposed to be watching him as I recall.

That's probably what's wrong with me ;)

I still enjoy the first half of the movie and it captures the feel of a family and feels amazingly authentic.

The problem I have always had with the film is the shift into complete fantasy. I don't think it's successful but I'm in a I or'it you that feels that way. Still, if you look at the growth and confidence of Spielberg as a film director, it's an amazing example of his depth of talent.

2. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

E.T. is a great film. Its not Spielberg's best, and its a product of its time as well as it is a product of where Spielberg was in his career, but I like it because just like Close Encounters of the Third Kind it takes a different approach to the "alien" film genre. I prefer Close Encounters, it captivated me the first time I saw in theaters when I was 13 years old, but I've always felt like ET was almost the spiritual sequel of Spielberg's '77 classic.

Its innocent and perhaps a bit naive and maybe some people can't relate to that in this day and age, but I'm certainly not one of those people. I still only have the DVD, I've never felt the need to upgarde what I always felt was a great transfer, but it sounds like I'm in fact missing out by not having the blu.

3. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight Thread Starter

Maybe it's because I'm a photographer, but I don't get the ongoing love for VHS and Laserdisc. I find HD digital sometimes to be TOO sharp, but a good 35mm film scan looks gorgeous to me, grain and all. VHS and LD are unwatchable to me now. I think I'd prefer an imperfect film projection over either of them at this point.

Side note: I just learned that Allen Daviau was born here in New Orleans! Now I have to go read everything I can find on the guy...

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We work very hard with modern digital formats to soften the image when necessary and to decrease depth of field so everything isn't in perfect focus all the time. Just because it's 4K doesn't mean we need to see every pore, every mole, every wrinkle, every imperfection on actors' faces. And I do this to some degree even with old movies. It's a question of know how hard to turn the knob and when to stop.

5. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Ah now I get it! When I watched that scene with the kids around the table I couldn't understand why one of the kids was saying the song 'Papa Oom Maw Maw' down the telephone to the pizza delivery company but it was a request to the radio station to play that song which you then hear on the radio a few scenes later.

Silken and CrazyCatz like this.
  6. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I know this is an old quote of yours, but amen to that.
    Slightly off topic, but since I'm not looking at the Stranger Things thread until I'm caught up, I'm curious as to your spoiler free thoughts on it, and what you think of the pervasive comparisons to E.T.?

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Speaking of pizza in that film, it always bugged me that the teens tell Elliott what to get on the pizza - as he walks out to pick it up.

Maybe this is meant to indicate the teens aren't very bright, but I think it's just a goof. Obviously the pizza is already "complete" when it arrives at the house, so telling Elliott to get one with "everything but the little fishies" makes no sense - I suspect they just wanted the laughs and didn't care that it was illogical.

Still bugs me though!

8. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Have you seen Taken? It's interesting as to the relationship of adults to alien/s and children to alien/s in these 2 Spielberg related efforts > ET and Taken. At one point in Taken Dakota Fanning says to her alien friend something like, "Adults are weird."

Ghostworld likes this.
  9. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

We watched this over Hallowen for the first time in years.

Two oddities that stick out to me (I just spotted this thread so sorry if they were already mentioned)

1. What kind of mom leaves a six year old on her own when she goes to pick up Elliott?

2. During the pizza scene early in the movie, why does one of the older brother’s friends pinch the mom on her ass? Such an odd thing to do to your friend’s mom.

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

A busy one who doesn't want to bother taking her along? :)

Dude111 likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

To some degree, that's a product of a different era - parents didn't worry as much about leaving kids alone 35 years ago.

That said, even in 1982, this seemed unbelievable. I was 15 and could've swallowed Mary leaving an 8-year-old Gertie alone, but at 6? Not likely.

It's a plot contrivance. The movie needs a reason to leave Gertie alone so she can "teach" ET to talk. It's not a great expository choice, but it's not the end of the world...

He doesn't pinch or touch Mary at all - he sticks out his finger like he plans to touch her butt, but Michael stops him.

Would he have gone through with it if Michael didn't say anything? Probably not - he seems like he was just being obnoxious.

Why would he want to touch Mary's butt? Because he was a horny teen and Mary was a MILF!

That part seemed totally understandable when I was 15! :D

12. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I mean I get it..he’s a horny 15 year old and she is a milf..but still its weird haha

I guess like already said you have to look at it from a 1982 perspective. People were more handsy back then :righton:

13. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Yeah I also thought that didn't make sense either. Perhaps if Elliot was going to the pizza shop himself to make the order and collect the pizza but like we saw he collects it from a car outside the house.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I never really noticed this guy going to pinch moms butt Until recently. When I did it cracked me up. I guess I need to view it on the big screen to catch all the details of the scene. I just took away from the scene that even the kids (come on what teenager wouldn’t?) realized that the Wallace was one hot MILF. What’s funny is that Dee Wallace realizes it and - without even looking back — give him a stern warning. Pretty funny stuff.

15. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Did you guys know in the scene where E.T. is drunk, they used a child with no legs in the E.T. suit?
    Google it:D

16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I sent to see this with friends at an afternoon matinee, probably on opening night. Surpisingly, we couldn't catch it at one of the 26 (!) screens at our regular malls and had to attend a nearby dedicated moviehouse. This high school senior really, really hated it.

Asked by anxious evening show patrons what we thought of it as we left, I replied "Like being forcefed a gallon of caramel."

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

What were you expecting, a dark Science Fiction movie like Alien? :)

18. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Back in those days you just got the basics: Steven Spielberg, aliens, science fiction . . . What's not to like? I was not expecting a kid's dog movie with a Smurf in place of the collie.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I thought it was terrific. I think Stranger Things is a very affectionate tribute to films like E.T., Goonies, Gremlins, and Stand by Me, and yet comes up with enough of an original spin on it to make it very entertaining. And the actors are very engaging, the effects are feature-quality, and the story has enough twists and turns to surprise me every so often. Thoroughly enjoyable. I think even Spielberg has said he enjoys and appreciates what they did and understands it's a tribute, not a rip-off.

I also just watched the 4K Blu-ray of E.T. and enjoyed it very much. I did not see nearly as much grain in this disc as I did in Close Encounters (mastered by a different studio).

Splungeworthy likes this.
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I never even thought about it!
    [​IMG]

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

"CE3K" was always much grainier than "ET"...

Vidiot likes this.
  22. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

23. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I was 15, so a bit too old for it when it was released. Had I been a bit younger, I'm sure I would've loved it.

I've never been able to watch the film without getting slightly bored. Like all Spielberg's work, I find it well-made but manipulative.

24. Oatsdad

I was 15 when it came out, too, and LOVED it. As did my friends.

I guess you Brits are more sophisticated at 15! ;)

25. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

I'm sorry but I simply can't take Spielberg movies being called manipulative anymore. Every f#cking piece of art close to being good is doing that and for some reason only Spielberg is getting this sh#t! Let's rejoice there is someone who understands cinema as barely anyone else. One may not like his movies but the allegation of audience manipulation as if it's some kind of cheap trick is ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.