De Agostini - 'The Beatles Vinyl Collection' mail order set via subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OneStepBeyond, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Same place as always! I must just be getting very unlucky... will go back for a third copy and hope it’s more like yours than the other two.

This second copy sounds like someone keeps tearing fabric during “Across the Universe”... :(

2. deanb64

deanb64 Active Member

Got lib last night, Listened this morning and it was just the best, Vinyl was spot on and it was nothing but a pleasure, Haven't listened to original album for a few years, But this is good, I think if I listen to the original I will still feel and hear the warmth of the recording from that time but for now this is the one.

3. gmcmahon1964

gmcmahon1964 Forum Resident

So far I’ve been reasonably impressed with this series in terms of quality and I was looking forward to this re-issue. Played it first thing this morning and...bummer, channel drop outs e.g. non-fill across Side 1. Wet cleaned the copy and while I was waiting for it to dry, listened to Side 1 of my reference copy (Pathe Marconi pressing, hat-tip @culabula). Sad to say, this copy of 2017 pressing is flawed. I took the subscription option as well as picking up the newsagent copies to off-set this happening (many of the subscription copies had seam splits). so second time lucky perhaps.

4. Jimbo Jobson

Jimbo Jobson Forum Resident

Three guesses what the postman brought yesterday...another copy of hard days night. Got three now.

Don’t know how this company make money.

LivingForever likes this.
  5. gmcmahon1964

gmcmahon1964 Forum Resident

My subscription cycle is a month behind some. Received issue 16 and 17 last week.

6. Last week the old English Market Town of Hertford (where I live) was excited by the arrival of Hugh Grant and a film crew filming "A Very English Scandal" :-

[​IMG]

...I went to my local Newsagents "Gay's" to pick up a copy of "Let it Be" that they had reserved for me. I was surprised to see the Newsagents redressed in an early 70s look for the filming :-

[​IMG]

...it felt kind of appropriate to buy a Beatles LP released in the Seventies in a shop that had gone back in time to the Seventies too.

....not sure if it was a coincidence that the shop called Gay's (the shop's real name taken from the name of the owner) was used in the filming of a TV Drama all about Homosexual scandal !

BTW LIB which I am listening to now - sounds great (just a tiny bit of distortion on the first vocal line of Maggie Mae is the only fault I can find).

7. long gone john

long gone john Forum Resident

Just ordered a copy of At the BBC vol 1 from an eBay seller. Hope I have better luck with it than the version I bought in WHSmiths (the last copy they had, of course) which had two record ones, one record three and no record two...

8. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

Was this from the guy in Ireland who was selling it for £10 + p&p?....If so, he had 2 copies this morning, I had the first, so hopefully, you spotted this bargain too :righton:

9. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

19 down, 4 to go.

I was a wary of two things back in January 1) the series would be cancelled mid way through and mostly 2) the price would shoot up. Neither has happened so I'm impressed and pleased. £25 for a triple album is a steal and, with the prices right now, £17 for a single isn't to be sniffed at either.

JP Christian, Gibson67 and Man at C&A like this.
  10. long gone john

long gone john Forum Resident

No such luck - £25 delivered. Still a bargain though compared to Universal prices!

mc7t likes this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I was looking forward to and am very happy to get Live At The BBC Vol. 2 for £25.

12. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

It's daft but I really enjoyed getting a 12" version of the albums I'd only ever had on CD - Love, Anthology, BBC - the BBC covers, especially vol2, look lovely at 12" and I got a particular kick out of finally owning a vinyl album version of MMT rather than the EP I had as a kid and the CDs I've had since.

richierichie and Man at C&A like this.
  13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Has Anthology 3 been issued in Italy yet?

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

You’re better of buying the 2012 pressing of AHDN. The opening chord isn’t clipped and the quality of the vinyl will most likely be better.

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's a great series. I already have The Beatles albums on vinyl. I spent years getting together a full set of decent (not perfect) condition original UK Beatles LPs, 45s and EPs. BBC Vol.2 was the only one I was missing. It was exciting getting my collection together though. I started with buying whatever I could get, reissues and scratchy copies and then replaced them all as I found them at an affordable price. I loved it when a near perfect original showed up. Only a couple of months ago an immaculate original All My Loving EP turned up in a charity shop. It was £10 but that's OK for what it is. Most of my collection would grade a very strong VG condition. I don't keep worn out or badly scratched copies. A bit of mild crackle at worst.

16. Joe a

Joe a Member

Answer is they probably don’t

Fleet Fox likes this.
  17. seanjennings

seanjennings Member

Played my copy of LIB twice yesterday Flawless copy, no pops, clicks, surface noise, the best sounding of the series A v.underated album, in my opinion. Not one of their best albums, but still worth a listen.
    Played my copy of LIBN, could'mt choose between them, i like both versions equally I prefer the Phil Spector produced tracks, on the original album, to the naked versions.
    Spector was a mad genius, i luv all his material. This will be played regularly, on my turntable.

18. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I am not sure what you are hoping to hear comparing it to LIBN, they are non-comparable different versions of songs, Let It Be sounds good Naked not !!

19. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Bought my copy of LIB on Thursday at Tescos. Some popping and the sound is a little dull. I'm going to ask for a replacement, however, I've already chucked out the cardboard wrapping. Has anybody taken a copy back to Tescos without this and been refused a replacement?

20. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

Exactly what I think of it Dull sounding although the vinyl looks mint without a hint of a problem?.

21. alanbeat

alanbeat A music loving Chap. PipPip!

Warm not dull,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, proper vinyl sound for me.

correctodad, deanb64 and seanjennings like this.
  22. Oyster Black Pearl

Oyster Black Pearl Forum Resident

I exchanged my copy of BBC Vol 1 as one side had a 'blob' of vinyl on the surface and skipped when playing. No problems at Customer Service, but it was a visible fault they could easily see.

Edit - I had my receipt.

23. mp971

mp971 Forum Resident

Yes Tommyboy, it was released a couple of weeks ago. Like the other Anthologies an excellent job but nothing extraordinary like Help!, Pepper or LIB. 1 also came out a month ago, to me it sounds exactly like the 2015 version.
    As a subscriber I am now waiting for the last two issues (and second box), 1967/70 and Past Masters.

Tommyboy likes this.
  24. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I didn't realise "Please Please Me" ha a facsimile' Gold Stereo' label.

25. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

Hard Days Night replacement arrived.......... the same pressing.:shrug:

Got to say though the rest of the disc sounds superb...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.