Post an obscure cartoon (theatrical or TV)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotsman

Scotsman Forum Resident

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Most Americans are not aware of any studios outside of Disney and Warner Brothers (along with Woody Woodpecker's Walter Lantz creations) during their childhoods. But ex-Disney animator David Hand had a chnce to start his own short-lived studio in Great Britan, thanks to Arthur Rank. He produce a couple of handfuls of a series called, "Animaland":

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow, the Disney influence on the character designs is pretty obvious.

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I got three words:
    "Noooot! Noooot! Noooot!"

AndrewS likes this.
  5. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Claymation is always a treat to watch. Here's a short a friend of mine did a few years ago.

6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Fortunately, it's only the intro. Terrible cartoon.

7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

It was also obviously a rip off from this equally bad live action Sid and Marty Kroft show (which I loved as a kid). Of course, Wonderbug was basically a live action Speed Buggy, which was just Scooby-Doo with a talking car replacing a talking dog...

bekayne and Dr. Pepper like this.
  8. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Picnic Panic (Van Beuren studio, 1935)

In 2 strip Technicolor, w/live action footage

9. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I think a 40's theaterical cartoon showing fairies and a woman with butterfly wings
    any help it was real well done.

10. John54

John54 Senior Member

Is Roger Ramjet obscure?

11. PaulKTF

i don't think so, no.

Steve Carras likes this.
  12. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Re-up:

Dinner Time
    (1928) -- Paul Terry Studios released this sound cartoon a month before Walt Disney's Steamboat Willie, which got all the credit

13. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Tom & Jerry (the other ones) w/ some Fleischer influenced zaniness in Van Beuren's Pencil Mania (1932)

Remade by Paul Terry as The Magic Pencil (1940). Some Warner Bros influences make this one of the more bearable Terrytoons.

Gandy Goose - The Magic Pencil (1940 Terrytoons)

14. wingsoveramerica

wingsoveramerica The Dude

I think I have an episode sitting around somewhere of that show.

15. wingsoveramerica

wingsoveramerica The Dude

The Peanut Vendor -1933

This was a spot motion animation test done to show what it was capable of. Now it's just really creepy.

16. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

Great thread....

I dream that some of the more obscure theatrical cartoons will eventually see light in a good edition.
    If you missed it, Porky Pig 101 just came out that pulled up quite a few I had never seen, so I guess there is hope.
    But I am thinking about Columbia, Terrytoons, I don't think all of Fleischer or UPA stuff is out yet is it (though a lot is)..
    I love this stuff, important part of film history... and just wasting away...a lot of Warner Brothers stuff is still not available...
    I think Disney is in pretty good shape, except for I am not sure about the very very early stuff.. Alice shorts...

I feel the same way about stop animation...there are some nice dvd sets out though...but I am sure there is still a lot that has never seen the light of day..
    I wish they would show some of this on the big screen, I have memories of some of the Warner and Disney shorts just looking awesome on a huge screen...
    I would kill to see "Deduce You Say" on a 50 foot screen...it just has an impact that watching it on a small screen does not...

17. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I would like to have a complete Scrappy collection. I don't think any of them are available to buy on DVD or Blu-Ray are they?

Alan G. likes this.
  18. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

This is a great thread. In the early and mid 60's , WFRV tv channel 5 in Green Bay Wisconsin would have a cartoon show at noon monday thru friday. The main cartoon would be mighty mouse and then they would throw in some obscure and surreal cartoons. Some were Terrytoons but i also remember one cartoon where it was a live head on a cartoon body. He was a reporter interviewing cartoon animals. To this day i have no idea what the cartoon was or i would post it. Fond memories.

19. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

Three Little Kittens 1933. A surprisingly violent cartoon:

Robert M. likes this.
  20. PaulKTF

Holy cow, you weren't kidding! You wouldn't expect something called Three Little Kittens to be quite that violent...

gillcup likes this.
  21. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

No idea...is this the cartoon series you mean?

Reader likes this.
  22. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

I also remember this series for its classical music tracks:

Farmer Gray.

23. Reader

Reader Senior Member

That's one of them. Beautiful animation and just plain fun. Can't remember how many were produced but there is a site devoted to them.

24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Re: The Snow Queen (1957). This was a Russian adaptation that I saw in the theater when I was around 5 years old. Fun story - my older brother took me to see this. Little did I know he was playing an evil trick on me. When the lights went down, a preview for the coming week's attraction showed The Snow Queen. So what was the featured movie that day? Hammer Studio's Horror Of Dracula. I cried through the whole movie.
    The previous post didn't work so here's another clip:

25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Here's a marvelous 1941 Max Fleischer cartoon Hoppity Goes To Town. Beautiful rendering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.