Disney buys some assets of 21st Century Fox?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Nov 6, 2017.

1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Don't care. Hollywood is dead to me.

MarkTheShark likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think Disney understands they're different markets, different creative decisions, the whole deal, kind of like one record label retaining different artists after another label bought them. I would assume they'd keep the lot in West LA, keep a lot of the management in place, and just run it as a wholly-owned subsidiary. On the plus side, I bet the Marvel management (Kevin Feige and the TV people) would love to have all the comic characters under one roof, particularly the X-Men and the Fantastic Four. If the sale goes through, Disney could go back and replace "inhumans" with "mutants" in the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." show.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  3. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Disney is just a name not what envisioned of his company buying
    other companies and slapping the disney log on them..
    If Walt was alive for one day.. he be in tears most of that day.
    Disney Co. can't have everything they want .. Streaming is tech fad
    Which will fade someday..

bmasters9 likes this.
  4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Walt's been dead since 1966. That was 51 years ago. There's no way he could have predicted the leaps and bounds in technology and trends and people's interests. What Walt did in his time was phenomenal but you can't live in the past forever.

5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Nobody is big enough to swallow up Disney, at least not in the entertainment sector. You'd have to have Apple or Google money to buy Disney.

Apple, Google, possibly Facebook . . . there are quite a few players outside of the studio business who could make a play for 21st Century Fox. Several European and Asian companies might be interested, too (Samsung, Vodafone, China Mobile). Disney isn't the only company with the money and a reason to buy.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Not just them. One of the big media conglomerates could (and has) put an offer in before and they'll surely do it again at some point.

7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Who's left besides Disney? Warner is the only other player with the pockets. Paramount is in no shape to buy anybody. Comcast maybe, but they don't strike me as needing or wanting a studio.

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Comcast, Charter, AT&T. Any one of them would love to have the synergy of the Disney brands, studio, and theme parks all in their hands. Disney will eventually be bought out by someone.

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

But it's not Disney who is for sale. It is Fox who appears to want out of the movie biz.

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Any company is for sale if the right offer comes in.

Dave likes this.
  11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Disney's market cap is $162 billion. AT&T's is $210 billion. AT&T could merge with Disney, but they don't have the cash to buy them. Ditto Comcast ($172 billion). Disney dwarfs Charter ($85 billion market cap), and if anyone's getting bought, it's Charter.

To buy Disney you'd need Google's market cap ($720 billion) or Apple's ($897 billion). Apple has $257 billion in cash. They could buy Disney and Charter both if they wanted.

12. This is what the smart money thinks will happen. Disney buys companies for IPs they can exploit with certain demographics. Apple makes the most sense buying Fox.

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Disney wants the X-Men and Fantastic Four rights.

14. But those two rights aren't worth $80-some billion. Fox wanted more than Disney was willing to pay for the studio.

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

And boy, did sports take a downturn after Disney bought them. :rolleyes:

16. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Someone wondered that if Disney buys Fox, will Buzzr, a subchannel that airs game show reruns from the Fremantle library be taken off the air since it is a subchannel on the same primary frequency as FOX Network.

Will it? I thought I read that Disney will not own any Fox stations.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Buzzr appears on the sub-channel of whatever station decides to pick it up, not just Fox-owned stations.

Vahan likes this.
  18. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Exactly right. In my neck of the woods, it's on a MyTV affiliate.

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

21. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

22. The Doctor

The Doctor Forum Resident

How do we know George Lucas didn't put a "The original theatrical versions of the Star Wars films can never be re-released, re-distributed, or made in any way publicly available in perpetuity" clause into his contract to sell Lucasfilm?

23. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Because it would be ridiculous. Disney would never have bought it under those terms. Just my opinion

24. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

He didn't, we know that for a fact... Kathleen Kennedy confirmed as much.

All the original 35mm camera negative elements are preserved, the original separation master and (non-fade) dye-transfer prints are intact and eminently usable as sources, there's evidence of a pristine scan of at least the 1977 film's theatrical version in existence at Lucasfilm (as seen on the 2004 Empire of Dreams DVD documentary, for example), and money is certainly no barrier to a comprehensive restoration of those films (if needed, which I'm convinced it's not)... noted restoration expert Robert A. Harris has repeatedly offered Lucasfilm his services for such an endeavor.

It seems the problem is in Lucasfilm simply not wanting to go against it's former founder's wishes pertaining to the OT's theatrical versions, loyalty not legality in other words. Until that changes, we're stuck with what we have...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  25. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

The Avatar franchise (James Cameron is planning 4 sequels!) would be part of the deal, too.