New Pearl Jam Reissues, complete studio vinyl box coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigdoug920, Sep 10, 2017.

1. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

HDTracks:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Pearl Jam / Binaural
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR6 -0.10 dB -7.22 dB 2:19 01-Breakerfall (Album Version)
    DR6 -0.10 dB -6.25 dB 2:26 02-Gods' Dice (Album Version)
    DR6 -0.10 dB -7.55 dB 2:56 03-Evacuation (Album Version)
    DR4 -0.10 dB -5.91 dB 5:07 04-Light Years
    DR7 -0.10 dB -8.70 dB 5:23 05-Nothing As It Seems
    DR6 -0.10 dB -8.44 dB 3:33 06-Thin Air (Album Version)
    DR5 -0.10 dB -6.38 dB 4:28 07-Insignificance (Album Version)
    DR7 -0.10 dB -8.75 dB 5:07 08-Of the Girl (Album Version)
    DR5 -0.10 dB -6.43 dB 3:15 09-Grievance (Album Version)
    DR6 -0.10 dB -8.17 dB 3:39 10-Rival (Album Version)
    DR4 0.00 dB -7.29 dB 4:48 11-Sleight of Hand (Album Version)
    DR12 -0.10 dB -16.63 dB 1:47 12-Soon Forget (Album Version)
    DR6 0.00 dB -9.91 dB 7:17 13-Parting Ways (Album Version)

Number of tracks: 13
    Official DR value: DR6

Samplerate: 192000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 2766 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

2. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

How could they have made Matt Cameron's cymbals sound any more abysmal on Avocado? I have no idea, but they've somehow overachieved here and have managed to make the seemingly impossible possible. Go team...Ole!

Joe Spivey and JasonA like this.
  3. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Will save my money, continue to hope once they've put out all their "remasters" and stupor deluxe sets that maybe they'll let someone like Audio Fidelity do a few SACDs given it's the Sony umbrella and they let them do Rage Against the Machine...I'd pre-order day one any of the first five albums if they were mastered properly. Vinyl, SACD, Blu-ray, DVD-A, I don't care - I am format agnostic...but I'm not paying diddly squat for their current squashed turds.

marcfeld69, Porkpie, kannibal and 2 others like this.
  4. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Valid point and why I've decided to take a back seat on these reissues. Hoping for the best on these but not optimistic.

dobyblue likes this.
  5. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

The vinyl box seems to be a mix of pressings ranging from the 2017 reissues to 2011 reissues of Vs and Vitalogy mixed with recent issues of Backspacer and Lightning Bolt.

marcfeld69 and oneway23 like this.
  6. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

Got my 2017 Ten Vinyl today, this remaster is a winner in my opinion! Better than the original pressing from 1994 and way better than the Remaster/Redux vinyl from some years ago.
    Very analog sounding remaster, with a bit more bottom end, especially Jeffs bass is better to hear!

7. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Any more reviews of the vinyl yet?

8. mertoo

mertoo Forum Resident

I guess you have the EU version, right? I've just ordered one from a local webshop here, can't wait to hear it.

9. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

just checking my ups tracking number and they still haven't shipped.

anyone else get theirs from ten club yet?

10. kingofstoneage

Yes, the EU version!

11. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

Listening to the vinyl of Avocado right now. Not really sure how I feel about the new mix. I think I would have preferred a decent reissue of the original mix on vinyl.

My copies of Binaural and Riot Act are now a TBD delivery date per Amazon.

12. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Can you post the dead wax info please?

13. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I agree, really great sounding. Binaural is also great. I will check out Riot Act and Avocado tomorrow. The singles recently released are also very good. It is about time PJ released some vinyl that sounded great.

kingofstoneage likes this.
  14. krenzler

krenzler Forum Resident

But Side A of Ten is 29 minutes.. I wish they'd spread it over 3 sides and leave the last etched or blank.

dobyblue likes this.
  15. kingofstoneage

MPO 886941302 A 150365 NL

Soundslave likes this.
  16. kingofstoneage

The innersleeve of my 2017 TEN vinyl says Mastered by Bob Ludwig 2008…………

marcfeld69 and Soundslave like this.
  17. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

This was an odd choice of album to remix to begin with, it only came out a little over a decade ago! I am not sure what the point of that was if they are just going to squash the dynamics even worse than the original which was already fairly afflicted by compression

I haven't heard the remix of it yet, but are there any drastic changes in the actual mix - dynamics aside?

18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It's more hope than expectation. Otherwise, what is the point of remastering or remixing these album that aren't that old?

19. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

The remix doesn't sound radically different for the most part. I'd say overall, the guitars are pulled back, the vocals are clearer and drums are louder.

I'm not sure why they went to the trouble of remixing either, but a couple of things I've read in the past spring to mind:
    1) When Temple Of The Dog was remixed last year, it was because the 2-track mixdown master was lost. Cornell got all of the 2" multitrack tapes back, but not the final mix, so they either had to remix it from the multitracks or use the original CD to press the vinyl.
    2) It's not specific to Avocado, but bupposedly, on Brendan O' Brien's advice, PJ mastered some/all of their earlier albums to 16-bit/48kHz DAT. Again, without a hi-res master, maybe they felt it would be better to go back to the multitracks and create a new master for release on vinyl and hi-res digital.

I don't know how much truth there is to the 16/48 DAT masters, but I've read about this a few times on the Porch.

20. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

It comes from Brendan o'Brien himself on PJ radio some years ago. I heard him say it with my own ears that music sounds better stored and used in this way and that all PJ's music was stored on DAT as the original sources were too much of a pain to store and use. I nearly fell off my chair.

Hep Alien and JasonA like this.
  21. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Wow, what a shame.
    [​IMG]

marcfeld69 and Hep Alien like this.
  22. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Just given the new reissue of Ten (EU) a listen and really not impressed at all. Sounds like it was cut from a 16/44.1 source. Also way too much music on 1 record!

Listening to my Riot Act replacement. It was also warped but this time I tried flattening it with a decent degree of success. They put the vinyl in with a hefty booklet so good luck getting a flat one. Managed to get mine reasonably flat and I’ve got to say I’m pretty impressed with the sound on it. I think this might be the best sounding of the reissues so far. Binaural was also pretty decent sounding if not spectacular. These two have been a pretty positive experience for me. Riot Act, as mentioned, has QC issues for the first disc though with the warping...which could have been easily avoided!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  23. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

Glad that the Riot Act Lp sounds good, that's the one I am after and have been waiting on some opinions of the sound quality before ordering the record. Is your one a US or EU copy?

I'd like to ask a side question too if I may, you mentioned that you flattened the record that was warped, how did you do this? I have a few that play ok but have a decent warp in them and I've always wanted to try and flatten them, but are too worried about damaging the Lp's. I am not trying to divert the thread here, just interested in the process you use to flatten.

Thanks

24. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Mine is the EU copy, they should all be SST cuts. I used a little heat in the oven and then set it under something and then put it through my record cleaning machine. It had quite a nasty edge warp. It’s now quiet and ‘fairly’ flat and shows no ill effects and looks pretty spotless. I really need to consider the vinyl flat although I don’t think it’s a complete solution sometimes. I decided to gamble as I would have had two to send back to Amazon. I’m glad I did it :). I wouldn’t normally do this though as it’s pretty risky and sometimes it doesn’t work out so only done it on the odd occasion.

Riot Act has some hefty bass on it. It is quite full and might depend on your setup as to how you like it. I think this has been one of the better sounding reissues though. It just sounds like a higher quality source with better depth and detail. As I said, Binaural was fairly decent but to a lesser extent.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  25. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply man, appreciate it. I remember reading a quote from one of the band members that Riot Act was their 'anti pro-tools' album. Ah, it was on the wiki page, which was quoted from an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer:

"This is definitely our anti-Pro Tools record," says drummer Matt Cameron, referring to the computer software that allows musicians to manipulate bits of audio endlessly. "To us, a song like 'Can't Keep' is proof that it's more interesting hearing musicians in a room playing hard, with the tempo fluctuating slightly as the band heats up. Perfection is boring."

Perhaps that approach had some impact on the final sound. Anyway, I'm glad so far it is positive about that record.

Joe Spivey likes this.