Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

"Phantom Of The Opera", this is the best song on the debut-album but also one of the best songs they have ever made. It's actually not easy to say, as the whole album is so strong set of songs.
    Long song (compared to those quick punky-style offerings) but this is well executed as it never gets boring, this is just so catchy and each instrument get it's own soft-spot to shine in the light.
    Paul's vocals are really great and also all the band performances are great. This is where it all just works great, musicianship on show here is in top form. Bass is great and shows promise of the future.
    I would say that this is very cleverly done and carefully crafted piece of music, more like crowning achievement, which remarked the start of their style getting to more epic, longer songs.
    I definitely agree with you @Mountain Cowboy that this is best song from the whole Di'anno-era.

By the way, first pressing UK vinyl and some other early editions have that little added thing at the end of the song.The thing Im talking about is that little short coda/reprise at the end, as the song stops there's few seconds of silence and then you hear once more Paul's voice.
    Im not 100% sure (but according to the websites), but I think original UK-vinyl, UK Fame-edition, Japanese pressing and the later released Czech pressings have it also.
    I haven't checked my all pressings of the albums on vinyl or cd, but I suppose that on cd (according to discogs) versions released before 1995 should have that longer version.
    Atleast the 1995 2cd EU-version has it if the track length is correct on the pages..
    I have it few different cd and vinyl..

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  2. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Uhhh...what?

3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

The cover, because the orginal post had a naked chick covered by a stuffed animal.

izombie73 and BurtThomasWard like this.
  4. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

I've been waiting for this one! One of my favourite maiden tracks, I love everything about it, and its still one of their best.

I remember hearing this for the first time, back when id gotten into maiden, and I was driving home from an evening at work and had the radio on. The Dj is playing classic rock and the final track is a listeners choice and this person has asked for Phantom of the Opera by Iron Maiden, and being new into them I was eager to hear it and oh boy, did it hit a chord with me. Its was love on first listen, and rather then have dinner when I got back, I instead went to ask if my brother had the song, and was disappointed he didnt.

Id find the cd copy of the s/t album later, but I always have remeithat car journey home.

I think the bits thst make this track stand out fkr me, is its the first epic track, 7 odd minutes but with one hellova guitar attack in the middle, its just brilliant.

5. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Does anyone have any information about the writing of the song? I'd be curious to hear Steve discuss the writing process for all of his signature songs. Maybe he'll copy Bruce and write a book.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  6. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

"If you don't like this song, you don't like Iron Maiden. In fact if you don't understand this next song, you might as well **** off and die."- Bruce Dickinson (2005)

Best song off the album. The first epic!

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I mentioned earlier in the thread that this is one of the Maiden songs I played in a cover band in my younger days. It was an incredibly hard song to play and has so many different elements to it. The opening riff is pretty difficult to get right and then it just goes from there to more difficult.

Like a lot of songs on the s/t, this one has a punk like energy to it and it's so busy with all the changes. I'm going to go ahead and say that this isn't one of my favorites from the debut. It's undoubtedly a great song, but I don't think it's the best song the band did with Di'Anno or, for that matter, one of Iron Maiden's greatest songs. Obviously, I'm in the minority in that opinion (even Bruce Bruce disagrees with me), but whatever. I do like the end section where it becomes instrumental. It kind of reminds me of Black Sabbath's "Black Sabbath" where a similar instrumental deal goes on to end a classic song.

I've never seen a movie about the "Phantom of the Opera", but I'm very aware of the story. I did see Paul Williams' "Phantom of the Paradise, though, which, essentially follows the same basic plot as PotO.

8. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Listening to Phantom of the Opera right now (studio version then LAD back to back) and it just seems like the whole idea of Iron Maiden and even what they continue to do in the studio to this day is all right here in 1980. The great thing about it way back when was that it was so much more unselfconscious and I also believe that the presence of a three minute song just prior provided a further 'light and shade'. There is something lost when it feels like every song is 9 minutes long which is how current Maiden feels.

This is obviously another song that I came to through side four of the Live After Death vinyl. Neither singer really owns the song to me because there's just so much going on musically that the vocal is only a small part of the puzzle.

I've never thought of Phantom being one of the 'epics' in terms of length. I guess with my fandom starting to roll around 1984 anything shorter than Rime of the Ancient Mariner didn't seem that long.

Phantom of the Opera, love it!

9. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Phantom of the Opera

Incredible song. There's so much contained in just the first 57 seconds of the song before the lyrics even start. Right from the beginning you know you're in for something radically different than what we've experienced in the first 3 tracks on this album. Also note: this bass player is for real. Some of Steve's finest bass playing is contained in this song and he just -shreds- on Phantom. Clive is just a monster on here as well, his jazz influence coming through wonderfully. This vocal section of the song is so perfect how it blends proggy playing, head-banging metal and Paul's street-sneer attitude.

At 2:05 we move to the first major change of the song, it's a little bit calmer and almost poppy in a way before leading to *another* time change and the OMG F'N EXCELLENT Dave Murray guitar solo. This is one of his greatest solos, so fluid. How impressive are these guys, we're here on the first side of this debut album and already we're seeing mature players who really know what they're doing. Clive, Steve and Dave already show their incredible talent. Next we come to a great Priest-influenced section, although with much better bass playing than Ian Hill did on the records. Again, here comes another tempo change (is the 5th one so far?) with the killer harmony section and that leads to solos from Dave and Dennis before reprising the harmony part again - a Harris trademark which he'd go back to often in his career. The last change leads us back to the head-banging verse riff and we're out.

I'll say it again, incredible song. Phantom is by far my favorite song on this album and one of the best epics in all of Maiden's career. Finally seeing it live a few years ago was a major highlight for me.

That Live After Death version is just FEROCIOUS.

The MEZ, izombie73, SammyJoe and 5 others like this.
  10. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

Their first epic. Their first song to have the triplet gallop. Great playing and/or singing by all. And yes, it does point towards their post-Dianno "future."

11. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Maiden's first epic. One thing I notice about this song is the usage of vocal harmonies during the "Don't you stray" line. They are almost Eagles-ish in a way.

The MEZ and Zoot Marimba like this.
  12. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Phantom of the Opera is a stunner. Love it. The Lucozade advert was a big thing, how many bands from that era sold one of their songs in a major UK TV advert? I didnt even know who Maiden were back then but i remember absolutely loving this everytime it was on.

izombie73, StuJM84, Deuce66 and 2 others like this.
  13. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Apologies if posted already but this really needs a viewing. Early Maiden, I remember this series presented by a very young Danny Baker.....

Phantom if performed live from 2:35

StuJM84, Deuce66 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Phantom of the Opera is such a great song, here's the version from the Live + ONE EP. I wish they would release the full gig.

15. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I always wondered if they have the full gig.That version of Phantom is cool.:thumbsup:

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  16. Zoot Marimba

Great version indeed!

17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I have to assume that they recorded the entire show, can you imagine seeing them at the Marquee cranking this out?

steveharris and Zoot Marimba like this.
  18. Phantom Of The Opera.
    This is what made Maiden so different from all the other Rock bands of the era.
    Time changes.
    Brilliant classic.....

19. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

Very interesting. Are you sure about the Australia bit? It's from K-Tel and Discogs only knows UK pressings. I've seen this often on record fairs and in fact I've owned the sequel Axe Attack II since I was a kid. It (the sequel) has got way too much music for an LP, as K-Tel comps usually do, but it was my first introduction to UFO, BOC, Nugent, Gillan, MSG, early Leppard, Dickinson era Samson, Dio era Sabbath and probably also Di'anno era Maiden (Rue Morgue).

Cheevyjames and Zoot Marimba like this.
  20. TheGreatSouthernBrainfart

TheGreatSouthernBrainfart Forum Resident

Remember Tomorrow
    There is a reason why this song is so legendary and that reason is DiAnno's vocal delivery. I'm a HUGE fan of Bruce and I even loved his spin on nearly all of the DiAnno era stuff but this is one song that is and always will be Paul's! He pours it all out into this song and it's so dynamic. I actually prefer the "Maiden Japan" version of this song because I feel they really took the dynamics to a whole other plane; speeding up the instrumental breaks after the chorus and Paul's vocals just going totally over the top. Great song.

Running Free
    Ahhhh, Maiden's "Radio Hit that Never Was." Ya know, I always have and always will put this song in the bin of songs I could live without. I never was a fan of it and I'm still not a fan. It doesn't flat out suck or anything but it's just so ploddy and dull compared to everything else. I dread hearing it live because even in a live setting this song can't be saved.

Phantom of the Opera
    When I was a kid and I heard this song for the first time I remember thinking it was one of the coolest friggin' things ever. The guitars emulating a spooky organ passage and those vocals, once again, showcase Paul really pushing it. I love this song and honestly, this is another one where I much prefer DiAnno's vocals over Bruce's although I do love hearing this song live whenever I can.

21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Apologies for posting this to here on this thread but I feel it's essential to mention ongoing and upcoming events dealing with Iron Maiden.
    So here's the announcement of 2018 European tour:

https://ironmaiden.com/news/article/iron-maiden-announce-legacy-of-the-beast-european-tour-2018
    [​IMG]

Following the massively successful global tour of 2016-17 in support of their 16th studio album The Book Of Souls IRON MAIDEN will take to the road again in 2018 with a series of arena and festival shows in Europe on the Legacy Of The Beast World Tour opening in Tallinn, Estonia on May 26 and finishing at the O2 Arena, London on August 10. The full list of dates is below and the tour is expected to continue in 2019.

Legacy Of The Beast 2018 Tour Dates:

May
    26 Saku Arena, Tallinn, ESTONIA *
    28 Hartwall Arena, Helsinki, FINLAND *

June
    01 Tele2 Arena, Stockholm, SWEDEN *
    03 Dahls Arena, Trondheim Rocks, NORWAY
    05 Royal Arena, Copenhagen, DENMARK *
    07 Sweden Rock Festival, Solvesborg, SWEDEN
    09 Rockavaria, Königsplatz, Munich, GERMANY
    10 Expo Plaza, Hannover, GERMANY *
    13 Waldbuhne, Berlin, GERMANY *
    16 Firenze Rocks, ITALY
    17 Novarock Festival, Nickelsdorf, AUSTRIA
    20 Letnany Airport, Prague, CZECH REPUBLIC *
    22 Graspop, Dessel, BELGIUM
    24 Hellfest, Clisson, FRANCE
    26 Geneva Arena, Geneva, SWITZERLAND *
    28 Volt Festival, Sopron, HUNGARY
    30 Messegelaende, Freiburg, GERMANY *

July
    01 Gelredome, Arnhem, HOLLAND *
    05 AccorsHotel Arena, Paris, FRANCE
    09 San Siro Ippodromo, Milan, ITALY
    10 Hallenstadion, Zurich, SWITZERLAND
    13 Altice Arena, Lisbon, PORTUGAL
    14 Wanda Metropolitano Stadium, Madrid, SPAIN
    17 Piazza Dellà Unita D'Italia, Trieste, ITALY
    20 Rockwave Festival, Athens, GREECE
    22 Hills Of Rock, Plovdiv, BULGARIA
    24 Zagreb arena, Zagreb, CROATIA
    27 Tauron Arena, Krakow, POLAND
    31 Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle, ENGLAND *

August
    02 SSE Arena, Belfast, NORTHERN IRELAND *
    04 Exhibition & Conference Centre, Aberdeen, SCOTLAND *
    06 Manchester Arena, Manchester, ENGLAND *
    07 Genting arena, Birmingham, ENGLAND *
    10 O2 Arena, London, ENGLAND *

(No further countries will be added to this touring schedule)

The concept for the Legacy Of The Beast World Tour was inspired by Maiden’s mobile game and comic book of the same name and the stage set design will feature a number of different but interlocking “worlds” with a set list covering a large selection of Eighties material with a handful of surprises from later albums to add diversity.

Maiden manager Rod Smallwood explains further,

“As our fans know, we’ve been following a particular touring cycle ever since Bruce and Adrian re-joined Maiden at the start of the millennium, alternating new album tours with “History/Hits” tours. We enjoy working this way for many reasons, not least because it gives the band a chance to play both new material and the older favourites which we know fans like to hear. It keeps things fresh, not just for the fans but for the band too.

“For this History/Hits tour we decided to base the theme around the Legacy Of The Beast name, which suits our purposes perfectly by giving us scope to get creative and have some fun, especially with Eddie! I don’t want to give too much away at the moment but we’re working on a number of different stage sets, all in keeping with the Maiden tradition and we hope to give our fans a fantastic experience when they come to see this very special show.”

Killswitch Engage will be Maiden’s Special Guest on headline European shows from May 26 to July 1 inclusive, and in the UK from July 31 to Aug 10 inclusive. Guests on other shows are currently being finalized and will be announced soon.

Most shows go on sale Friday 24th November. As always, there will be an exclusive presale for Fan Club members, starting Monday 20th. Full on-sale and pre-sale details will be added shortly.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  22. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

I don't think this has been posted yet:

The whole show is also available

23. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I figured they would go out with another Best Of tour next, but not this soon. I hope they dust off some older less played songs and not the usual suspects.

24. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Remember Tomorrow is the epitome of epic Iron Maiden. Timeless.

25. Zoot Marimba

Me too, even though I won't see these shows

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.