Metallica - Master Of Puppets 2017 Remastered Deluxe edition announced*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nodeerforamonth, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Totally agree with you.

Cooks420 likes this.
  2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I was considering the $8 book but then bailed when shipping was $19.50!

Maurice likes this.
  3. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Comparing a CD to a record is still comparing apples to apples in my opinion so comparing a record to a two record set is definitely still in the apple category. It isn't the format that we are actually comparing so much but the sound so definitely interesting to hear your opinion.

Cooks420 likes this.
  4. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Duly noted! I am extremely excited to compare this remaster to the DCC. And if the 2017 remaster sounds better to my ears, I will (unfortunately) have to spring for the SHM-3CD set ...

Bluebair and Paully like this.
  5. Vinyl Fan 1973

Interesting take. Wouldn’t you agree though that spreading an album over two LPs will change the sound of that LP? I’m referring to the sound as well. Most would argue that putting the music on two LPs allows it to breath in a way that a single LP doesn’t. I believe this is why the Rhino’s are so highly regarded, as well as the MFN double 45rpm sets.

I consider comparing the sound of a single LP and double LP of the same album unfair, as the double LP has an advantage, due to its pressing.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  6. David-Shea

David-Shea Toastmaster General

Dude, same thing. I was gonna buy it last night but **** that shipping price.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  7. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I get your point, truly, but I don't know enough about the physics of it, and I won't pretend I do even for the internet ;), to say but I would agree that more real estate allows for wider groove spacing and better sound in theory. So all things being equal (mastering, cutting skill, and pressing) yes a two record set should sound better than one just by it's very nature though it certainly doesn't always work out that way in reality. But even if it is a tad unfair, don't you want to know which one actually does sound better? Would you agree that what we are comparing is the sound and for most of us not tied to a specific format that any comparison of an album between any of the possible formats is a worthwhile endeavor? Of course then it is up to each of us to take into account relative improvement in sound versus cost and convenience.

Cooks420 likes this.
  8. mikehbkwm

mikehbkwm Forum Resident

2016 96kHz/24bit Files

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR11 -2.33 dB -14.34 dB 5:13 01-Battery
    DR12 -2.33 dB -16.29 dB 8:35 02-Master Of Puppets
    DR11 -2.33 dB -14.59 dB 6:36 03-The Thing That Should Not Be
    DR11 -2.33 dB -14.76 dB 6:27 04-Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    DR10 -2.33 dB -13.45 dB 8:17 05-Disposable Heroes
    DR12 -2.34 dB -14.88 dB 5:40 06-Leper Messiah
    DR11 -2.33 dB -15.62 dB 8:27 07-Orion
    DR11 -2.33 dB -15.07 dB 5:32 08-Damage, Inc.

Number of tracks: 8
    Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 4608 kbps
    Codec: PCM
    ================================================================================

2017 44.1kHz/24bit Files

DR10 -1.98 dB -13.14 dB 5:12 01-Battery
    DR9 -2.39 dB -13.18 dB 8:35 02-Master Of Puppets
    DR10 -1.80 dB -13.66 dB 6:36 03-The Thing That Should Not Be
    DR9 -1.82 dB -13.01 dB 6:27 04-Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    DR10 -1.63 dB -12.20 dB 8:17 05-Disposable Heroes
    DR10 -1.53 dB -12.45 dB 5:40 06-Leper Messiah
    DR9 -1.80 dB -13.23 dB 8:27 07-Orion
    DR10 -1.81 dB -14.09 dB 5:32 08-Damage, Inc.

Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Bitrate: 2117 kbps
    ================================================================================

oneway23 and Opeth like this.
  9. mikehbkwm

mikehbkwm Forum Resident

Here's the 2017 Remaster Vinyl Rip of Master Of Puppets. Very solid and it sounds really good to me. Another outstanding job by Chris Bellman and team.

DR12 -7.80 dB -21.28 dB 5:12 01-Battery
    DR11 -8.41 dB -21.28 dB 8:32 02-Master Of Puppets
    DR12 -7.58 dB -21.75 dB 6:35 03-The Thing That Should Not Be
    DR11 -7.97 dB -21.19 dB 6:27 04-Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    DR12 -6.81 dB -20.31 dB 8:14 05-Disposable Heroes
    DR13 -5.58 dB -20.49 dB 5:39 06-Leper Messiah
    DR11 -5.51 dB -21.36 dB 8:24 07-Orion
    DR12 -5.50 dB -22.29 dB 5:32 08-Damage, Inc.

Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Bitrate: 4608 kbps

10. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

what is the source of this?

11. mikehbkwm

mikehbkwm Forum Resident

The high rez download from their website. They removed the 96/24 files and replaced with the 2017 remaster version at 44.1kHz/24bit. If you had purchased the 96/24 files last year, they automatically let you download the new high rez remaster files. They sent everyone (including me) an email to let people know.

BTW, I have the super deluxe box set and in one of the pictures in the box, one of the sheets shows 44.1kHz/24bit if memory serves. Will have to look at the book again tomorrow just to make sure. Essentially, the 96/24 files last year were upsamples.

krlpuretone likes this.
  12. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

somehow I missed that one......yeah, it sounds decent. I also like the recording of Jason's first show in Resida, especially the tunes which have Jason high in the mix. Wish I could isolate Cliff on some live recordings or bring him up in the mix. Easily the most interesting musician in Metallica and probably the brains behind the operation/compositions.

krlpuretone likes this.
  13. krazy_olie

krazy_olie Active Member

Which do you prefer? I can't decide

mikehbkwm likes this.
  14. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

This is why I was earlier in this thread so (negatively) surprised that they make a "Super Deluxe-whatever" Box Set and then have this TOO-LONG-RUNNIN- FOR-A-SINGLE-LP Album AGAIN on single LP ...... how ignorant can you be?

15. Vinyl Fan 1973

It would have been awesome if they simply reissued the Rhino double wax for these sets, and then sell the single stand alone LP`s, and then people could choose. This album really should be on double LP.

Scott222C likes this.
  16. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Exactly. This set is for the hardcore fan and he deserves the best sounding version of the original album.

I have the MFN 2x45 LPs Version, I am only pissed off for those fans that still have to make due with inferior sounding single LP version ....... :mad:

Jam757 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  17. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Thanks for the heads-up. There's no way I'm paying almost $30 for what I kinda suspect is the 46-year-old me's equivalent of the Guitar Player "Special Metallica Issue" magazine I used to paper my locker with in high school!

18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

You might as well just buy the "Back to the Front" book for that price.

Jam757 and Stormrider77 like this.
  19. mikehbkwm

mikehbkwm Forum Resident

I always pick the ALAC-HD files but convert to AIFF because 99% of my tracks are in AIFF.

20. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

Received my Puppets box today.

I am blown away by how wonderful the vinyl sounds.

I have the White Label Promo LP, the ROADRUNNER original and the MFN 2x 45...but I think that the new LP is from a tonal point of view absolutely fantastic.
    I was always a very little bit "annoyed" with the amount of "treble" on the records...but the new one really sounds wonderful...at least on my BAUER dps2 with a Lyra Delos.

Excellent job.

The vinyl is FLAT as can be and dead quiet.
    CB in the wax.

21. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I mentioned in an earlier post that I thought I had a pressing problem, as the needle was jumping once per revolution for most of the first track on both sides. What I found though is this only happens if I have the volume cranked up pretty loud. If I keep the volume down, no jump. What's odd though is that this is happening when listening through headphones. I don't understand it; never experienced this before. Anyone have any ideas?

22. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

My LP is kind of poo especially for a pallas pressing. side 1 off center a lot and lots of pops ticks and crappy groove noise.. Just put on a Tom Petty album pressed at Pallas and it's perfectly quiet... This might have to go back. Sounds ok otherwise. Nothing great IMO

23. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I also noticed some groove noise, also agree unexpected coming from Pallas. I ordered one from Amazon to compare.

24. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Anyone order one from Amazon UK? Curious to see where it's pressed.

25. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

You really have to crank it to release the magic, I found. At low-normal volumes it just sounds ok.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.