Cord cutters - How many streaming services do you pay for?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by telliott, Nov 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telliott

telliott Senior Member Thread Starter

I cut the cord (got rid of cable TV) several years ago. I've had Netflix since then. I juat upgraded to the 4K plan. Almost 2 years ago, I got Youtube Red / Google Music. I get trapped on Youtube watching related videos on a regular basis and it's great to watch without preroll commercials. I regularly use Google Music also. I'm coming to the end of my Hulu trial and I'm thinking about keeping it (commercial free tier). I just got done watching "Too Funny to Fail" and several of the Dana Carvey episodes. There are a few other series there I can stay caught up on. I never had a DVR but at this point, I don't think I could go back to live TV with commercials. About the only thing I watch live is news in the morning.

I'm going to stop at those 3 services although I'm afraid that in the coming years, content will become more fragmented as networks and studios start their own pay streaming services.

2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ive got hulu/amazon prime/Netflix/cbs/and various roku free channels. I probably watch more amazon prime than anything they have a lot more movies (you got to search them out but theres some hidden gems in there)

3. Kirk76

Kirk76 Forum Resident

Netflix

Hulu

Amazon Prime

ShawnMcCann likes this.
  4. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Eventually you'll be paying for so many different subscriptions to fill in the holes that it will cost more than the cord you cut..........

Tehach, G E, milankey and 18 others like this.
  5. Netflix
    HBO Now
    Amazon Prime

6. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I cut the cord 18 years ago. I still do Netflix dvds. It's about $25 a month for 4 dvds. I tried Netflix streaming but got rid of it after I figured out it was just full of crap movies. I get more variety with the dvd plan.

Dyland, G E, townsend and 3 others like this.
  7. You could do that, but I have had the same pay services for a year and I am not really tempted for anymore. I already get more show and movie choices than I can possibly watch. Also I got Amazon Prime for the free shipping -the streaming service and videos are a nice extra.

8. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Netflix 4K streaming, that's it. I'm waiting for Filmstruck to become available as an app for my LG OLED set (if it ever does...)

C.

9. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

Netflix.
    Hulu.
    That is all.

Scope J likes this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

NHL GameCenter Live
    Netflix

Went from 96$ to 19$/month.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  11. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Three . . . but I'm not a cord-cutter.

Gonna drop Netflix soon.

12. Cizin

Cizin Forum Resident

Including the cost of the Internet connection?

13. telliott

telliott Senior Member Thread Starter

Stranger Things in 4K HDR looks really good but Marvel shows are very (video) noisy. I still like the HDR look.

14. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I have:
    Netflix
    Sling TV
    HBO Now (I occasionally swap this with Hulu)
    Amazon Prime Video (technically this is "free" to me as I really pay for Prime for the shipping advantages)

I primarily buy/rent movies through the Apple Store now.

I add a Mohu antenna with every TV I add in the house. Every TV also gets an Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV or Roku device depending on how I want to use it. I just got a Vizio TV with "smart" features such as built-in Roku/Plex, but the speed leaves a lot to be desired.

All or even just part of this is better than any cable subscription I've ever had.

15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Nope. Internet is extra. But instead of having Internet and TV with really terrible bundle pricing, I only have a single service at a much cheaper price. Internet would be 60$ more. So instead of 156$/month, it went down to 79$/month.

16. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Well, I was an unwilling 'cord cutter' briefly this year:

Like a lot of Canadian NFL fans, I was forced to try out streaming service DAZN when they were awarded the exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket rights this summer.

It was cheap ($20 per month) but it's an awful, terrible product that was (and still is) lesser quality than a bootleg stream. Buffering, low frame rate, missing audio etc etc.

I was thrilled when, in early October, the NFL finally heard enough complaints and forced DAZN to make Sunday Ticket available to the cable companies once again.

DAZN likes to bill themselves as 'The Netflix of Sports". I guess they're correct because you can't watch NFL football on Netflix either.

17. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Get Roku for Filmstruck.

Chris DeVoe, iggyd and Claus LH like this.
  18. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

MLB.TV Premium
    Hulu Plus

19. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Netflix
    NHL Gamecentre Live
    DAZN (NFL package)

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Lemme see...

Amazon
    HBO Go
    Apple TV (just got the 4K last month)
    HBO Now
    Hulu
    Netflix

and we have a WD Video+ player, plus apps inside the TV and inside the LG 4K Blu-ray player. And we pay for DirecTV and get HD and 4K content through that. The Apple TV box is phenomenal and I enjoy that quite a bit -- but take my word for it and turn the HDR off for non-HDR shows. It's "fake HDR."

I may throw in the towel and get CBS All-Access for a month just to see all the episodes of Star Trek: Discovery.

Music-wise, I get Amazon Music, Apple Music, and Google Music, but mainly listen to internet radio stations (some of which I contribute some bucks to) and my own collection.

DreadPikathulhu and telliott like this.
  21. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Hulu Plus (no commercials). We also have amazon prime, but we don't watch prime video much.

22. mds

mds Forum Resident

It would be interesting if those who have cut the cord say why and include price breakdowns. I imagine the number one reason to cut the cord is to save money, so how much is being saved, including the cost of the internet? I assume the internet is required and if so what speed are you using and are you streaming or using a direct connection with your TV(s).

I would love to cut the cord for the savings but the added is the lack of commercials. I wonder how long these services are going to stay commercial free? Certain Cable Channels were commercial free at one time.

23. Aardvark23

Aardvark23 Forum Resident

Direct TV Now (King of the constantly buffering streaming apps, but getting better over time) - $10 per month w/ AT&T cell service)
    HBO (free w/ AT&T cell service)
    Netflix (riding on my Mom's DVD rental account)
    Hulu (freeloading on my daughters account)
    Amazon Prime (seems like 2 day shipping has somehow now become a requirement for my everyday existence anyway)
    Over the air outdoor antenna for broadcast TV
    Cut the cord as I just retired and was looking to lower overheads. One good side benefit is the services also work at our lake cabin for no additional fees.

mds likes this.
  24. mds

mds Forum Resident

Is your internet provided through the Direct TV satellite? What speed is your upload/download. Trying to gauge what type of internet plan I will need and how much less the cost once I've added all the various plans up. I am sure it will be less, but how much less I do not know. I also use my daughters Netflix streaming and we have Amazon Prime streaming already. Thinking of dropping Verizon's triple play (TV, Internet & Phone), and picking up the fastest internet speed I can from either Comcast or Verizon. I would also pick up HBO & Showtime and not sure if I need to go further or not. Are you able to receive HD programming through the Internet Line or do you need a special converter? Currently I pay an additional fee for HD and DVR on multiple TVs.

25. mfidelity

mfidelity Senior Member

Netflix
    Hulu
    Antenna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.