Something New from Led Zeppelin Being Mastered Now

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tmtomh, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Having heard the SQ of Southampton bootleg, I'd welcome an official release of that gig.

2. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I'd rather have something pre-'73 that we haven't heard before. Saying that, I wouldn't kick it out of bed

oneslip17 likes this.
  3. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wouldn't turn up my nose at any new officially released live Zeppelin, no matter what it was, and I definitely would buy an official release of Southampton '73. However, for a variety of reasons it's my least favorite of the likely suspects for release, and IMHO also the least likely:
    • Plant's voice is in bad shape, bad enough that I doubt he would agree to release the full show.
    • Unlike most of other live Zep releases, there's no 2nd (or 3rd) night to draw from to patch his Southampton vocals.
    • The mellotron from Stairway already was used as a "fly in" on How the West Was Won.
    • The show is a good, but not great, performance, and arguably an unusually weak one given how on fire they were during this general period.
    • The entire show has been circulating for years as a professional (albeit rough) multitrack mixdown in excellent quality. The only other already-circulating, professionally mixed-down live stuff they ever released as a standalone product (not as companion audio or part of the DVD) was the BBC Sessions, and at least half of that (the 1969 material) was not widely circulating in sound quality as good as the official release at the time.
    Some have speculated that the "Dazed and Confused from January 1973" Page was listening to could be Southampton, as part of an upcoming chronological live anthology. That would make some sense, as it would enable them to release just a couple of tracks from that show, sidestepping the issue with Plant's vocals. Or it could be that Page has been auditioning a bunch of live material and while he re-listened to Southampton as part of that process, it won't actually get released. Time will tell!

Sean, budwhite, RockRoom and 7 others like this.
  4. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I know I'm in the minority but I'd love to see something post-73 officially released. Yes, the 1975 and 1977 tours are completely uneven but I think they still deserve to have something official out there. Even a best of Knebworth (imo, the first show by far) or a compilation of the best of the 1980 tour would be something I'd love to get.

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Nicely stated. A chronological live box set may very well be the "live" project that is allegedly in development. It would make a lot of sense because JP could cherry-pick highlights from a number of the remaining live reels that span various years instead of trying to piece together a complete concert set-list from one specific series of concert dates. That approach follows the methodology adopted for the "DVD" and allows for some remaining MSG '73 tracks to be issued, highlights from Southampton '73 to be issued, the best from Earls Court '75, the best from Knebworth '79, and alternate performances from the LA/Long Beach '72 tapes, plus anything else the band is sitting on (including Japan '71).

ranasakawa, Sean, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  6. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

That said, isn´t it a risk sound wise? Many different venues, (open, close) variable tape qualities, variable performance qualities, etc.
    I would stick with a single year representation: Japan 71, EC 75, Knebworth 79 or whatever, but not a chronological mix. Just my opinion.

Sean, Ram4, jay.dee and 2 others like this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

It could be. However, I think the sound was pretty seamless on the "DVD," so I think they could pull it off, particularly if it is a multi-disc audio set.

budwhite and tmtomh like this.
  8. Dark Horse 77

I agree completely and hope they stick with single year releases. Although, some monster 8 disc set would be pretty tempting...

Roberto899 and tmtomh like this.
  9. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Plant's voice is rough, but workable. Could they fly in a fix, technically - yes. The mellotron on Stairway could be used for every version of Stairway released and no one would really notice or care. I agree it is not a great show as they had to turn down and this affects Jimmy more than the rest. Many versions of Dazed during this period were among the best ones ever, but this one was not one of them. He just didn't seem to have enough sustain this night. But for whatever reason, this show has an amazing version of Black Dog. I always felt like this show was a "BBC 1973" type of show. Tiny crowd like Paris Theatre 1971. I thought the same thing about Page mentioning the January 1973 version. I bet this is the one he was checking out. I'm leaning towards we're getting something!

Absolutely one direction they could go.

They could simply do a boxset chronological release. But still hope that they're planning a massive campaign with releases starting with something next year from 1968 - even if just a 2 track board tape or reel to reel.

tmtomh likes this.
  10. Dark Horse 77

This idea makes me drool. :agree:

tmtomh likes this.
  11. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

If a multitrack mixdown of almost any Zeppelin gig leaked out -- like Southampton -- I'd welcome an official release. Sure, there are a handful of shows that are probably too lackluster to benefit from a pro multitrack recording, but even something average -- again, like Southampton -- would be cool.

That said, Southampton sounds so good as a boot that I don't know how much better it could be if it were polished up for public consumption.

marmalade166 and JeffMo like this.
  12. misteranderson

Well, maybe something else from that time frame was given the multitrack treatment? Who knows? If you're a band paying for a live recording, it would be logical and more cost effective to record more than just one random show, or just not to record any at all. But then, not much about how Zep approached documenting themselves as a touring band makes sense.

Lost In The Flood and tmtomh like this.
  13. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I think an Earl's Court live album would be a very big possibility, not only is there the video aspect for a DVD companion thing like how Celebration Day was, Jimmy also has multiple nights to draw from when it comes to his perfectionist tendencies to fly in vocals and parts from other performances like The Song Remains The Same and How The West Was Won

14. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Speaking of 1968, aren't there two shows that are rumored to have been recorded by the band? One of the Scandinavian shows from September, and also one of the British club dates (Marquee?) from October or November.

Would LOVE to hear those, even if it's only a couple tracks as part of a compilation.

snipe and tmtomh like this.
  15. Dark Horse 77

Sign me up. I'd love a three cd set from Earl's Court.

16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

By far, my favorite live sound from Jimmy was the Telecaster. I'm with you on
    hearing more from 1968....:pleased:

marmalade166 and Muggles like this.
  17. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

+1

Love the sound Jimmy got from 'The Dragon'! A show from 1968 in acceptable quality would be a Holy Grail type release. Right up there with Bath '70 and Japan '71.

tmtomh and reb like this.
  18. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Whatever Page is up to,this will be a long period of speculation.I`ve been trying to avoid this topic and just be surprised like I was in 2003 but it`s just too difficult!

19. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

How about a hybrid release: Live anthology with a complete show also represented. Unlikely, but...

qtrules and tmtomh like this.
  20. PacificOceanBlue

I am very skeptical that there will ever be a mainstream release containing a 1968 2-track recording. Even if the band has such a thing, which is doubtful, it will have sonic limitations, and JP doesn't have a track record for releasing those types of recordings.

tmtomh likes this.
  21. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I would say he opened ip the possibility by releasing the companion disc for LZ I.

22. misteranderson

But that's what the Paris Olympia show is, more or less, and it ended up as the companion disc for LZ I. Not to mention the muddy, generally pretty crappy BBC session with Sunshine Woman. There was only so much that could be done with either one.

snipe likes this.
  23. PacificOceanBlue

I understand. It is also a copy of a radio broadcast with a relatively good mix. A two-track soundboard is conceivably going to have inferior sound. Anything is possible, but I do not expect the Olympia show to be the norm going forward, rather an exception. It is also telling that JP released the Olympia show, rather than a number of other soundboards (even multitracks such as Texas Speedway) rumored to exist in the Zeppelin archive from the 1969 period. The fact that he settled for the Olympia show suggests that he may not have access to the trove of tapes some thought he had.

The "Sunshine Woman" release is interesting. For one thing, it is a unique rarity, a one-off performance. The other thing is that it is almost like a bonus, not something that represents the majority of a release. If there is actually a lo-fidelity 2-track live tape from 1968, it would not be surprising to see one or two highlights included as part of a chronological, live retrospective box set. But it is hard to imagine such a tape would ever receive an exclusive release in its entirety.

Of course, we are all just speculating. Who knows what will ultimately surface. Time will tell.

superstar19 and tmtomh like this.
  24. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Hmmm, I guess with all this Zep speculation this means no new music from Pagey.......hahahahaha

MoonPool, superstar19 and tmtomh like this.
  25. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I'd prefer an official Knebworth release, but Earls Court would do in a pinch, I suppose.

I'm also in that minority who actually preferred the Southampton '73 show to How The West Was Won. Southampton sounds like it was a fun show, in spite of Plant's iffy voice.

vudicus and marmalade166 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.