King Crimson - The reConstruKction Of Light coming soon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opiumden, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident Thread Starter

Unsung Productions

Unsung Productions & Markus Reuter is working on Larks' 4, retouching Trey's touch guitar and collaborating with Pat to get new mixes of the new tracks.
    Looks like next year's 40th anniversary reissue is already underway!

Billy Infinity, aphexj and gd0 like this.
  2. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Jimbino likes this.
  3. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

4. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Looking forward to it. The Fripp/Belew/Mastelotto/Gunn lineup is my 2nd favourite, next to the Wetton lineup.

Maybe someday we can get Thrak, ConstruKction, and TPTB on vinyl...

5. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Great. That just leaves The Power To Believe from the original 40th Anniversary Series announcement I think?

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. MikeM.

MikeM. Forum Resident

Can't help but think the Projekcts will be addressed in some fashion as well. Perhaps bundled in a box with CoL?

7. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of the ProjeKcts, scooping up all of the DGM downloads to supplement the physical releases, but TCOL was a disappointment for me on its arrival after the ProjeKcts, which promised so much. I saw KC in London on the TCOL tour, and for me the TCOL songs were the weakest part of the set-list. Leaving aside AD's bonkers lyrics and singing on a couple of the songs, it did not feel like the recording of a band at ease with itself, at that time and place. I enjoyed most of the output that followed, so TCOL stands out as a disappointment for me. I prefer Pat's crunching party-mix 'Heaven and Earth' when I return to listen to that period of KC.

brew ziggins likes this.
  8. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Interesting take. I too was/am a fan of the ProjeKcts, and in some ways wish Crim had kept fractalizing. ( and now that there are 8 or 9 or 10 members... ).

However, any disappointment I might have had was alleviated by the near simultaneous release of ProjeKct X and the improvs in the concerts. It felt like the ProjeKct spirit had been folded into the greater Crim.

Oh and then there's the little matter of LTIA IV, Frakctured, and the title track.

strummer101 and gd0 like this.
  9. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

i'm really hoping this is for a potential box set release covering the Double Duo. Possibly my favorite era of the band. ConstruKction of Light is a fantastic album, with some of the best guitar I've heard from Belew and Fripp. Love the density of the production, and the live shows from the subsequent tour have some great improvs. Power to Believe was a nice shift to incorporate more space in the production (the 2003 shows weren't as good as the 2000 shows, as they mostly dropped the stand alone improvs).
    Not sure what they would do with the ProjeKcts, as all live shows are available on DGMLive, but some studio rehearsals have emerged on the tour boxes.

strummer101 likes this.
  10. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

If there is a box set for this period then it is very likely a year away (or longer). So the title of this topic is a bit optimistic.

I'm also interested in better versions (and 5.1 versions) of these albums, and some hi-rez and maybe 5.1 of the live stuff. But as I bought lots of the live concerts from DGM I hope they don't charge me lots for getting all of this - without any differences - again.

11. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Nah, that'd be separate. This likely would cover TCOL, HC, Level 5 and TPTB with ample live audio and video footage.

12. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I'd rather TPTB have its own box set. I'm sure there's enough to fill both.

13. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

I felt similarly - love, love, loved the ProjeKcts, but disappointed with TCOL. However, I loved the 2000 tour. With its copious improvisations, it felt like the *most Krim* Crimson since 1974.

14. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I just finally picked this up on CD a few weeks ago, so of course it’ll get reissued soon. You’re welcome, everyone.

15. slowburner

slowburner New Member

Thanks for posting the link, very interesting peak into the process. Very excited to hear this when it is completed. The Double Duo may be my favorite era of Crimson.

16. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

looking forward to hearing more news on this. much as I enjoyed going back to islands I am much more excited about continuing forward to areas I am less familiar with.

Runicen likes this.
  17. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

The ConstruKction of Light was the first "new" KC album when I got into them, so I have a lot of fondness for the album and this era of the band. I'm both quite ready for more material from the era and happy to think that a set for it will cause some other listeners to re-evaluate this period in the band's history.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  18. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Sounds like Markus is working closely with Pat on this project. Are Belew and Gunn going to be invited to participate or is it "just" Pat who is overseeing the remix and re-doing his drum parts?

Gunn at least tacitly approved the 2015 remix of THRAK according to the excellent sheet music he transcribed which was just released

Billy Infinity likes this.
  19. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

The only KC album i have ever given away. I tried to live with it and love the line up but sounded horrible to me.

20. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Last Facebook update was in November - any news or updates found elsewhere on the ReConstruKction? The video updates are great.

21. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

is he actually redoing his drum parts?

22. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

@GregK Haven't heard anything new except that Pat had completed re-drumming his parts (according to D. Singleton, this was to replace lost elements on master tapes), maybe KC is waiting on Gunn and Belew to approve the remix before announcing further details?

23. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

weird, how were parts of the master tape lost? it's only about 19 years old

24. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Singleton says "it's a long story"

25. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Blessing in disguise perhaps. Would love to hear a bit more variety than Y2K-era V-Drums. (Not at all a slam on Pat, I was intrigued by them back then too.)

The kit he has now with KC strikes a great balance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.