Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

melstapler likes this.
  2. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Johnny Cash song is from an EP without overdubs.Here is the version you usually hear:

:tiphat:

3. GodBlessTinyTim

McLover, eddiel, Spadeygrove and 5 others like this.
  4. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  5. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

melstapler likes this.
  6. Svein Arne

2 amazing singers we want more of Bear Family!

Works fine if you click :Watch on youtube.

:tiphat:

7. GodBlessTinyTim

8. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

The track list is up at Bear Family

9. Mr. H likes this.
  10. GodBlessTinyTim

No prices yet, but you'll want to bookmark this page: https://www.amazon.de/Starday-Custom-500-675-10-CD/dp/B077DL2PCN/

Beauty! I'd forgotten Willie Nelson's first single was a Starday Custom job, and never knew Link Wray's brother Lucky made so many trips to Beaumont.

Kkfan and Kevin55 like this.
  11. Svein Arne

12. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Despite Bear Family's more recent lack of artist-focused releases, I'm trying very hard to remain optimistic with hopes they will come to their senses before its too late. One Bear Family title I'm very grateful for is a 1CD by country legend Billy Parker, entitled "Billy Parker & Friends." The collection includes many enjoyable tracks from his albums up through the 1980s. Billy had an impressive career as a solo artist, with his career peak being in the 70s and 80s. Despite his more recent retirement from country radio, Billy is a respected Disc Jockey who was on air for 44 consecutive years in Oklahoma.

For reasons beyond my comprehension, Bear Family have allowed this 1CD to go OOP. What a shame, as this is some enjoyable music which will appeal to most fans of classic country.

[​IMG]
    Country legend Billy Parker today

13. Svein Arne

14. GodBlessTinyTim

melstapler likes this.
  15. cdwolf

cdwolf Forum Resident

Not a great mystery at all. The music may be great but the sales just weren't there. In my 9 years of selling Bear Family I sold a grand total of 15 copies of this CD, very near to the bottom of my sales numbers. Even Bear Family can't keep a title in print with numbers like that.

16. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Heard similar things about sales on some of the box sets as well. I do remember buying some box sets from you in the early 2000s, your prices were very reasonable.

spanky1 and Judge Judy like this.
  17. I've always thought Bear Family would be wise to advertise their presence a little more in America. Only fanatic music collectors in America are even aware of their existence, much less individual releases.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It seems late for that now. Every year at the end of the year, magazines and newspapers used to list the top box sets of the year. Bear Family was NEVER mentioned, even though some of the critics certainly knew about them. Most of those critics would only mention something if they got it for free. No free copy, then the box set would be snubbed and ignored in their writing. Yet another reason I can't stand critics. I played hundreds of Bear Family sets on my radio program, but I bought and paid for each one. Most radio stations would not play anything - zippo - that Bear Family issued.

19. GodBlessTinyTim

Someone is selling both Bob Wills boxes plus the Cliff Bruner set for $300, US buyers only. 17 pounds of western swing!

Bob Wills Faded Love, San Antonio Rose, Cliff Breuner CD Set 's Bear Family | eBay
    They've started getting some long-overdue recognition with more recent releases. The Bristol Sessions was nominated for two Grammies, and the Slim Harpo set was named Best Historical Album at the 2016 Blues Music Awards.

spanky1 and melstapler like this.
  20. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

21. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Been lurking for years. Gonna make my first post here. Finally pulled the trigger on the Lesley Gore set. :cool:

22. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I saw someone mention that they can't keep a CD in print for low sales. I never knew that. I always figured it was just rights issues. Anyway of knowing which sets may be going OOP?

23. GodBlessTinyTim

It must be a combination of factors. I can't imagine the Lefty Frizzell or Fats Domino sets being near the bottom of Bear Family's sales rankings, yet they're both OoP.

Welcome, by the way.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    melstapler likes this.
  24. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Seems like I read that the Lesley Gore box was upgraded. Probably just the book? Anybody know about this? I want to get a copy but want the latest version if there is one.

Thanks for any information.

melstapler likes this.
  25. cdwolf

cdwolf Forum Resident

I sold 129 of the Lefty set and 81 of the Domino set. That puts them a bit above average and a bit below, respectively. Besides low sales, the main reason for deletions is that BF's license expired (BF doesn't own the rights to any of their releases and has to license them from the artists and/or record companies) and the item is not worth the expense of a license renewal or extension. Also keep in mind that most sales would happen right after release of a title and then sales would taper off rapidly over the next few years. In other words, the initial license is much more likely to make back its investment than would be a renewal several years later when most of the potential customers would already have their sets.